Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-05-2017, 02:36 PM   #21
vkb

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
For EV drivers there is such a thing as being "ICEd out": Its when someone with a gas engine parks in an EV spot with chargers (ICE = Internal Combustion Engine). EV spots with chargers, however, are usually right up front near the store (typically right next to the handicapped spots).

Putting power posts out in the boonies would be a better solution (I'd bet you'd get the occasional trucker there making use of them as well).
thank you Jamie !

Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 03:53 PM   #22

Brand: DRV
State: South Dakota
THOR #4935
Quote:
Originally Posted by sforl View Post
I've been doing quite a bit of boondocking on this trip. I prefer it when I'm totally alone or if there are a fair number of people around! ( depends on the people of course) What makes me uncomfortable is when there is that one sketchy person around!
I've done quite a bit of solo backpacking in my time and one thing you learn is if someone makes you uncomfortable then it's time to relocate!
Define 'sketchy'. I myself have very long beard and hair and have been profiled many, many times. There are three different styles of approach from people I have receive over the years.

1: No reaction at all.
2: Oh WOW, how long have you been growing that beard? That's so cool!!
3: Usually the rich, in there minds anyway, they stick their noses up. They are the people who are probably in debt up to their ears but feel that they are better then everybody else. If approached by one of these snubs I would ask if they wanted to compare assets, that's how these people feel. "I have more then you so I'm better then you" attitude!

Now I base my attitude on seventeen years of growing this beard and hair so I'm a expert at reading people's facials expressions.

Back to the subject. We stay at Walmart every once in awhile only if tired of driving and can't find a CG. I have never worried about a CG but have wondered about some Walmart's. Getting back to my rant, if someone see's me they leave me alone. lol
Glenn 08 36tk3 #4571
oldbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 12:18 AM   #23
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbird View Post
Define 'sketchy'. I myself have very long beard and hair and have been profiled many, many times. There are three different styles of approach from people I have receive over the years.
I like your reply OLDBIRD !! Ron and I were, both, taught to NEVER JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER ! We have met some of the neatest people at campgrounds and in life in general. I hope we run into you at a campground someday !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 10-10-2017, 02:02 AM   #24

THOR #4935
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
I like your reply OLDBIRD !! Ron and I were, both, taught to NEVER JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER ! We have met some of the neatest people at campgrounds and in life in general. I hope we run into you at a campground someday !
Thank You Kay, I also hope to meet you both some day in a CG. Sometimes its hard to sit down and relax in your camper because your outside talking to very interesting people!
Glenn 08 36tk3 #4571
Old 10-10-2017, 01:18 PM   #25
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Thank You Kay, I also hope to meet you both some day in a CG. Sometimes its hard to sit down and relax in your camper because your outside talking to very interesting people!
That is SO true...Ron is a real social butterfly at the CG ... he likes to shower in the CG Showers just so he has a reason to walk around the CG...I think !!!
We take our daily walk and we always seem to find a friendly camper to visit with !! Part of the joy of camping .

Have FUN and I am sad for those folks who shy away from your beard n long hair ... I bet they are missing out on meeting an interesting fellow !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 10-10-2017, 03:35 PM   #26

Model: Thor Axis
State: Mississippi
THOR #6203
Oldbird
Long hair and long beard! Add multiple tats and you’ve got my nephew. So no that is not what defines “sketchy” for me . I’m more leary of the homeless panhandlers that I’ve encountered when boondocking or Wallydocking. Or simply someone who appears to give me more attention than I feel comfortable with.
Old 10-10-2017, 05:53 PM   #27
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
oldbird
long hair and long beard! Add multiple tats and you’ve got my nephew. so no that is not what defines “sketchy” for me . I’m more leary of the homeless panhandlers that i’ve encountered when boondocking or wallydocking. Or simply someone who appears to give me more attention than i feel comfortable with.
point well made !!
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 10-10-2017, 10:54 PM   #28

THOR #4935
Quote:
Oldbird
Long hair and long beard! Add multiple tats and you’ve got my nephew. So no that is not what defines “sketchy” for me . I’m more leary of the homeless panhandlers that I’ve encountered when boondocking or Wallydocking. Or simply someone who appears to give me more attention than I feel comfortable with.
Not one tat on me, lol. I hope you didn't take me wrong, I do have a lot of fun with my hair. Last summer in Holley, Mi I won the longest beard contest at the renaissance fair. I also get very tired of it and have threatened to cut it off but it took so long to grow it I can't bring myself to do it. You gotta love retirement!
Glenn 08 36tk3 #4571
Old 10-11-2017, 12:56 AM   #29

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Florida
THOR #4466
Quote:
I also get very tired of it and have threatened to cut it off but it took so long to grow it I can't bring myself to do it. You gotta love retirement!
A local guy had a huge red beard, really good one. Grew it for ages. He got sick of everyone asking him about it. Why? How long you been growing it? And a hundred more. He cut it off. Guess what happened. Yep. Even more questions.
Why did you cut it off? It was great.
Did it bother you that much?
How long did you have it?
You like how you look now?
And on and on and on.
He's growing it again.
2019 Honda Ridgeline AWD
Wonderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 01:31 AM   #30

THOR #4935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderdog View Post
A local guy had a huge red beard, really good one. Grew it for ages. He got sick of everyone asking him about it. Why? How long you been growing it? And a hundred more. He cut it off. Guess what happened. Yep. Even more questions.
Why did you cut it off? It was great.
Did it bother you that much?
How long did you have it?
You like how you look now?
And on and on and on.
He's growing it again.
Good story!
Glenn 08 36tk3 #4571
Old 10-12-2017, 09:05 PM   #31

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
Quote:
3: Usually the rich, in there minds anyway, they stick their noses up. They are the people who are probably in debt up to their ears but feel that they are better then everybody else. If approached by one of these snubs I would ask if they wanted to compare assets, that's how these people feel. "I have more then you so I'm better then you" attitude! .....
Hey I hear ya...but don't be so quick to stick your nose up at those that you think are sticking theirs up at you.

Most folks live in a world of conformity. Those that don't conform to societal norms might just be feared or whatever.... people naturally survive by profiling...we have for ages

harley riders that where leather and what not...well they project a bad boy image...the old school hell's angels type... even though almost all I have met or known through the years are among the nicest folks. Still THEY are the ones projecting the image. Folks that don't know any others like them just may not know what to expect from them....

Anyway, my point is maybe they aren't sticking their noses up at you, as much as just being careful.... reading you.... hey, for all they know with some long scraggly beard, maybe you have lice.....and that has ZERO to do with thinking they are better than you.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:54 PM   #32

THOR #4935
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
Hey I hear ya...but don't be so quick to stick your nose up at those that you think are sticking theirs up at you.

Most folks live in a world of conformity. Those that don't conform to societal norms might just be feared or whatever.... people naturally survive by profiling...we have for ages

harley riders that where leather and what not...well they project a bad boy image...the old school hell's angels type... even though almost all I have met or known through the years are among the nicest folks. Still THEY are the ones projecting the image. Folks that don't know any others like them just may not know what to expect from them....

Anyway, my point is maybe they aren't sticking their noses up at you, as much as just being careful.... reading you.... hey, for all they know with some long scraggly beard, maybe you have lice.....and that has ZERO to do with thinking they are better than you.
You make lots of good points! When I posted that reply about me 'assuming' people were sticking their noses up, probably most of them were not. But after seventeen years of reading peoples expressions I'm pretty sure I can tell that disgusted look. Even my wife (retired psychologist) can see it.
Glenn 08 36tk3 #4571
Old 10-12-2017, 11:39 PM   #33

Model: Axis 25.2
THOR #4466
I'll be sorta boondocking starting Sunday. Headed for the Smokeys. No hookups in the park campgrounds but there is a bathroom. No showers. I haven't shaved for about a week now and after Sunday, no shower for a week. I'll have some old funky jeans on and probably a tshirt with a hole or two. Probably smell like a campfire among other things but I'll say hi to everyone that walks by in the campground or on the trails we'll be hiking. By the time we get down to Cloudland Canyon SP in Georgia I'll probably be ready for a shower. Maybe a shave. Maybe not. If I run into some long haired bearded guy with tattoos and he's walking a dog I'll say hi and pet the dog. Who knows, I might even run into some of those harley riding Hell's Orthodontists.
2019 Honda Ridgeline AWD
Wonderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 07:16 PM   #34

State: Virginia
THOR #9237
Great thread....was thinking about this too. I would like the quietness while boondocking in secluded areas but I do think about the safety, especially if cell service is spotty.

Does anyone know about driving your handgun from State to state? Let's say you don't have a cc permit but keep your gun locked during traveling.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:51 PM   #35
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potvinsux View Post
Does anyone know about driving your handgun from State to state? Let's say you don't have a cc permit but keep your gun locked during traveling.
Do your research and decide for yourself... Not offering legal advice one way or the other... here's a link (starting with a similar disclaimer).
https://www.nraila.org/articles/2015...transportation

A search of the forum will find other threads talking about it as well.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 01:24 AM   #36

Model: Hurricane 34B
State: California
THOR #7571
I will be boondocking for the next 7 days, leaving in the morning. Solar is installed, extra water jugs and fill pump loaded up. I will be safer there than at home. I will be surrounded by at least 100 other boondockers, all of them with lots of guns.

(..It's a week-long shooting competition. I routinely see people leaving thousands of dollars of equipment laying in the open. There has never been a theft.)
Old 10-16-2017, 11:18 AM   #37

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
We tested our comfort level just a bit (baby steps) by spending Saturday night in remote corner of a parking lot after college football game. The designated RV lot we stayed at last year was too crowded when we arrived at midnight, so ended up parking about 200 yards away at far corner of adjacent lot which was essentially empty. RVs are not allowed there but chanced that being a small van they wouldn't make us move in middle of night.

It was definitely much nicer sleeping far from all the generators. I could still hear them in the distance but barely. We also didn't have to worry about exhaust fumes or noisy neighbors. We liked the added room, and may stay there again even if there is space in RV lot.
Old 10-17-2017, 12:41 AM   #38

Model: ACE
State: Georgia
THOR #9143
Smile

What a post. :-)

Wal-Mart in this area does not want campers or 18 wheel trucks.
They used to "sort" of encourage them but now the last couple 3 years they try to discourage it. They still tolerate it but really do not want it. Per a very close family member that works there. :-) I would still give it a try over some places but always need to pull out near the edge of the lot to prevent blocking people. It's this reason that I do not believe Wal-Mart will ever install power on the light pole. I understand Bass Pro or the other BIG sporting store does have dump stations and power on the poles for RV people. Never experienced it or seen it myself. I'm new to this RV world so have a lot to learn.

As for the beard, I had one for 30 years but did keep it kind of short for work. I shaved it off the last day I worked before retirement. Everyone knew there was something different but didn't fig out what. Actually they all thought it was my BIG smile for retirement.

Next; Boondocking for a shooting match would work for me. I'll have to look into that further. :-)
Old 10-18-2017, 03:34 PM   #39

Model: Tuscany XTE 36MQ
State: Louisiana
THOR #4843
We boondock about 50% of the time. Everything from Secluded National Park to Rest areas. Have never had an issue (lucky i suppose). We do look at areas before hand as much as possible but anyone whom has traveled much knows you don't always have the luxury of knowing exactly where you will stop for the night. With that said, CC is your friend. I sleep well at night knowing that if they come in through the door (bedroom window too small)they probably will regret it..... As for outside items - that's what insurance is for. There are a lot of ways to protect yourself and property (Fido, cameras, security systems, etc).
Old 10-18-2017, 03:38 PM   #40
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
It's all about "Situational Awareness". Keep your eyes open, and your wits about you; everything will be fine!
But that never means that you shouldn't try to be prepared!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote