Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2021, 02:54 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Boondocking sites being shut down?

We don’t boondock other than occasional overnight parking which doesn’t really count, so I’m curious if those of you who boondock as a form of camping have seen any signs of boondocking sites being shut down or limited for reasons stated in attached report, or for any other reasons? Is this trend for real? If true, can’t say it is surprising.

https://rvbusiness.com/rv-lifestyle-...ing-shut-down/

https://rvlifestyle.com/why-boondock...ing-shut-down/

Old 11-02-2021, 03:36 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
It is and has been occurring for a while. Major issue is trash from those who weren't brought up right.

I can't blame the NFS or state park associations. Someone's going to be responsible for the upkeep. Too much trash and a lack of staff leaves little alternative.

Even those who live by 'Leave it better than you found it' get weary. Those that trash the place are usually used to hand outs and the kindness of others to make up for what they lack or are willing to give in return. They're users of the lowest form. There's a few other names for those types but that vocabulary will get me thrown out of here. Use just have to use your imagination.
Old 11-02-2021, 04:43 PM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Back in Virginia the local businesses stopped allowing overnight parking because of the trash constantly left behind. No more overnight parking at Walmart, Lowes. Cracker Barrel or any of the others.

The new rules were being enforced and violations were treated as trespassing.
Old 11-02-2021, 05:39 PM   #4

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
A couple from Arkansas with a YouTube channel (Domelife) feature and document their remote camping travels. Being stewards of nature, they frequently organize public land cleanup efforts with like minded volunteers.

Although their cleanups are typically in remote streams/camping areas in forested Arkansas, I applaud their stewardship. It's a great example to set for today's youngsters who will inherit the public lands.
Old 11-02-2021, 06:52 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
The problem is us: Campers who make messes wherever they go; are making it tougher for everybody!
Old 11-03-2021, 01:38 AM   #6

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
They seem to have acquired a surplus of signs.
A place along our access road where no one has parked longer than to look at a map in 11 years and is merely a J-turn turnaround/back-out for the occasionally lost person, maybe three times a year, now has 10 signs spanning a whopping 75feet, saying no camping. Oddly, there isn't another sign for the other EIGHT MILES of the same road bordering the same state land.

Also:
Verified by me and others in the past:
Rogue turdheads make phony signs and place them in areas THEY think should be restricted.
Greenpeace/Peta type goofs.

Maybe some percentage of these new signs are bull-pucky.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
Old 11-03-2021, 03:26 AM   #7

Model: XG 32 Omni
State: Missouri
THOR #4243
Didn't notice any shut downs or closings in the areas we mostly boon dock in. Hopefully they stay open.
Old 11-06-2021, 08:53 PM   #8

Model: Regency Ultra Brougham IB
THOR #13468
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwplot34 View Post
Didn't notice any shut downs or closings in the areas we mostly boon dock in. Hopefully they stay open.
We boondock frequently and have not seen any closures in the areas we use, but I have seen some people who seem to think that they own the boondocking areas.

We stopped at one of our favorite boondocking sites, set up and went for a walk. When we got back we saw that someone had roped off the entire area saying that it was reserved, and one person came over to us and told us to leave. She said they had reserved the area for their family. I told them that the area was not subject to reservation and we were not going anywhere, so she went off in a huff and her husband come over to tell us to leave. He tried really hard to convince us to go somewhere else, but at least he did not think that they had the right to reserve the entire area.
Old 11-06-2021, 10:36 PM   #9

Model: Quantum RS26
THOR #16788
We have noted sadly that the trash level left by inconsiderate campers is atrotious. Also have noted the same issue with people "homesteading" desirable areas by leaving their campers/trailers for weeks and months in the same location and just utilizing them on the weekends. During the week, their rigs sit idly preventing anyone else from enjoying the site. We have called local law enforcement who deferred to BLM who had no interest in pursuing the matter. Even have had the issue in the NFS where it is posted 14 days max in a spot. It is not enforced the these people know it. Last year the rangers were told to ignore littering as campers were becoming hostile and confrontational with rangers who were trying to enforce littering statues. A sad sign of the times.
Old 11-06-2021, 11:44 PM   #10

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
When we were camping in the Tetons two years ago several areas of open land had been closed due to trash and sewage dumping
Old 11-07-2021, 02:08 PM   #11

Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguy737 View Post
...Even have had the issue in the NFS where it is posted 14 days max in a spot. It is not enforced the these people know it. Last year the rangers were told to ignore littering as campers were becoming hostile and confrontational with rangers who were trying to enforce littering statues. A sad sign of the times.
That's unfortunate as it only serves to embolden them. I, for one, will never back down to a bully. Don't ask about the rest.
Old 11-07-2021, 02:45 PM   #12

Model: Axis 25.4
State: California
THOR #6582
Angry Pristine beach camping trashed

Here's a lengthy (but worth the read) story about a remote beach campground within the California Park System that gets taken over by lawless aholes on the weekends. I'm a tree-hugger that wants to keep access open to public lands. As stated earlier, these jerks weren't raised right.
https://www.sfgate.com/california-pa...k-16477935.php

https://ioverlander.com/places/21489...persed-camping
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
Old 11-07-2021, 05:52 PM   #13
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
And we wonder why sites are disappearing...
Old 11-07-2021, 07:27 PM   #14

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguy737 View Post
We have noted sadly that the trash level left by inconsiderate campers is atrotious. Also have noted the same issue with people "homesteading" desirable areas by leaving their campers/trailers for weeks and months in the same location and just utilizing them on the weekends. During the week, their rigs sit idly preventing anyone else from enjoying the site. We have called local law enforcement who deferred to BLM who had no interest in pursuing the matter. Even have had the issue in the NFS where it is posted 14 days max in a spot. It is not enforced the these people know it. Last year the rangers were told to ignore littering as campers were becoming hostile and confrontational with rangers who were trying to enforce littering statues. A sad sign of the times.

Your point on lack of enforcement is key. Often we don’t need more rules, rather enforcement of the ones we already have. I also think harsher punishment would go a long ways towards greater civility.

In case where people leave RVs unattended during week just to come back the next weekend, I would have trailers or motorhomes towed, and then require a large fee to get it back. It’s unfortunate that lawlessness sometimes requires harsh measures.

I was kidding a family member who’s a pilot that if they took just one of those idiots that has been attacking flight attendants, and tossed them out of a moving plane at 5,000 feet while other passengers filmed and posted on social media, it would stop attacks on crew members instantly. Granted we can’t really do that, but I’m certain severe punishment is the only thing some jerks respond to. Ignoring them or a slap on the wrist will just make things so much worse long term.
Old 11-07-2021, 07:53 PM   #15

Model: 2022 Axis 24.1
State: Kansas
THOR #24565
I do agree with you. I am amazed at those who will push the limit so that we need to enforce the rules. If a sign says stay off the grass, I stay off. You probably do too!
Old 11-08-2021, 02:23 AM   #16

State: California
THOR #19337
I see many examples of this. We live in Southern Cal but travel around the states near us. someday we'll go all the way to the east coast.

Another group that dumps trash are people who pull off the highway and dump their trash, maybe to clean their car but often to avoid paying dump fees. We find sofas, refrigerators, etc. my club spends a lot of time cleaning up the forest to help the FS.

very frustrating
Old 11-08-2021, 04:52 AM   #17

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Sadly it seems we are becoming a nation of entitled aceholes. The hurray for me and screw you attitude is more prevalent than common courtesy anymore.
Sadly if we want to continue to have public lands to use we must be good stewards and clean up after the jag-bags that are causing our camping areas to be closed. Additionally when we observe violations on public lands it is our duty to report it, even if it seems a waste of time. Maybe if enough people complain the NFS or BLM people will sit up and take notice.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
Old 11-08-2021, 12:35 PM   #18
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
...I was kidding a family member who’s a pilot that if they took just one of those idiots that has been attacking flight attendants, and tossed them out of a moving plane at 5,000 feet while other passengers filmed and posted on social media, it would stop attacks on crew members instantly. Granted we can’t really do that, but I’m certain severe punishment is the only thing some jerks respond to...
This is a perfect example of why boondocking sites are being closed: All that littering from 5,000 feet...
Old 11-08-2021, 12:45 PM   #19

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
My son and I thru hiked the AT back in 2016. The hikers rule for cat holing , burying, is not even followed by hikers. Never more apparent than around shelters. Very gross. I live on a 2 lane road that outsiders use as a bypass around town. I risk life and limb daily to cross and get mail. Cars fly by at 60 mph and above (45 mph speed limit). They don’t think twice about throwing out an entire bag of fast food waste, drink included. Beer cans. Bottles. I even came home one day during a dry period and found my front yard smoldering from a hot cigarette butt flipped out a window. I don’t understand how it’s so difficult to use a trash can.
Old 11-08-2021, 03:37 PM   #20

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post

....cut..... I don’t understand how it’s so difficult to use a trash can.

I think they don’t care, and don’t fear consequences at all. Plus I’d bet it makes them feel more powerful than they are by acting with “I’m going to do whatever I want and you can’t stop me” mentality. This selfish mindset is spreading through society. If they litter in your front yard or isolated camp site, they know someone else will eventually pick it up. It must make them feel more important.

What gets me in Texas is how many throw trash like fast food cups and wrappers in the bed of their pickups knowing it will blow out at highway speeds. Yeah, I agree it’s difficult to understand this kind of behavior at any level.