Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2017, 01:58 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Georgetown 31L5
State: Ohio
THOR #6277
Recall due to hitch capacity

Has anyone yet received notification regarding the hitch-capacity on 2017 Ace, Hurrican and Windsports? Here was the article in Consumer Digest:

Incorrect hitch-capacity label on 2017 Ace, Hurricane and Windsport motor homes

April 25, 2017—Thor Motor Coach recalled 2017 Ace, Hurricane and Windsport motor homes. On the affected motor homes, the weight-rating label for the tow hitch indicates a capacity of 10,000 pounds, although the actual capacity is 8,000 pounds. As a result, a user might overload the hitch, which might damage the motor home or cause the hitch to disconnect from the tow vehicle, which increases the risk of a crash. Thor Motor Coach will notify owners and provide a correct replacement label for free. The recall is expected to begin June 7, 2017.
For more information, owners may call Thor Motor Coach at 877/500-1020. Owners also may call National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s Vehicle Safety Hotline at 888/327-4236 or go to safercar.gov.

I'm okay with the 8,000 pound capacity, but I haven't yet been notified, and was just wondering whether anyone else had been or not? I'm told that the recall number is 17V-239.

UPDATE: FMC magazine is saying that it only affects these motorhomes manufactured from January 12, 2017 to January 24, 2017.

Old 06-27-2017, 02:33 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Interesting: If you browse around Thor's website all their motorhomes show an 8,000lb hitch capacity. I wonder where they got the wrong labels from? (Perhaps the hitch manufacturer incorrectly labelled them.)

In reality if you use the motorhome weights it is likely you wouldn't overload the hitch (even just taking the delta from GCWR from GVWR yields at most 5,000 lbs).

Granted there are people out there who would see the hitch and hook up a backhoe to the RV (and probably sales people who would be telling them that its ok to do so!).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 03:04 PM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
....cut..... I wonder where they got the wrong labels from? (Perhaps the hitch manufacturer incorrectly labelled them.)

...cut.....
I'd guess that the receiver itself is a Class IV which may carry a 10,000-pound rating normally, but is labeled down to 8,000 for Thor due to other motorhome limitations. I can see where that could be an easy mixup in labeling.

My Class IV is rated 10,000 pounds with 1,000 pound tongue weight without WD. Can't recall the WD rating, but is printed on manufacturer's sticker.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:36 PM   #4

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: '17 Hurricane 34F
State: Missouri
THOR #6040
my 2017 has an 8000lb placard, so maybe they caught the issue sometime in the production run.