Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-17-2020, 03:59 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1 - Sold it!
State: Tennessee
THOR #6513
Bumper yes or no

Funny the things you realize that you've overlooked many times before.

Been looking at a Hurricane 32T. Really nice unit but I suddenly realized it has no bumper in the rear. In fact the ladder will be the first point of contact in a mishap since it is quite low. My Vegas has a pretty substantial steel bumper and the ladder is above it. If someone was to misjudge and nudge me the damage to that one piece fiberglass rear end would be significant!!!

Im trying to dig back into the cobwebs of my mind and recall what Ive seen in the past. I do remember sever brands still have the old fashoned square tube "sewer hose" bumpers ie the Jaycos Ive looked at.

What does yours have? Or not!

Old 08-17-2020, 04:08 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
It's got nuthin'
But if someone can't see me in front of them: the bumper wouldn't help much anyway.
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1597680495
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pad 03.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	144.3 KB
ID:	25632  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 04:10 PM   #3

THOR #6513
The ACE 33.1 weve been looking at has a big bumper like our Vegas.
Old 08-17-2020, 06:10 PM   #4

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
I installed a trailer hitch spare tire mount. I too have no rear bumper but hopefully like Bob said they should see me or they only bump my spare tire mount and not continue into the coach.

Paul
Old 08-17-2020, 06:40 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Let's hope that none of us ever find out...
Old 08-18-2020, 06:13 PM   #6

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Let's hope that none of us ever find out...
That seems like the best thing for sure

Very few Motor Homes have bumpers today
Old 08-19-2020, 02:32 AM   #7
MLP

THOR #17478
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDS View Post

Been looking at a Hurricane 32T. Really nice unit but I suddenly realized it has no bumper in the rear. In fact the ladder will be the first point of contact in a mishap since it is quite low. My Vegas has a pretty substantial steel bumper and the ladder is above it. If someone was to misjudge and nudge me the damage to that one piece fiberglass rear end would be significant!!!

Im trying to dig back into the cobwebs of my mind and recall what Ive seen in the past. I do remember sever brands still have the old fashoned square tube "sewer hose" bumpers ie the Jaycos Ive looked at.

Get a hitch put on it. Then put one of the gosh alfull hitch height adjusters and ball with a red cap. Can't find a read ball cover, spray paint it. If they want damage, they will get it. Then enjoy the rig you want.
Old 08-19-2020, 02:55 AM   #8

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
Bumpers

Quote:

These are RVs, not tanks.... most have nothing and the comment you made about a sewer hose bumper are not made to take a big hit either. Some opt for a Class C because at least there is some type of front end like a truck but the rear end issue is the same.
Old 08-19-2020, 04:33 AM   #9

Model: 2019 Aria 4000
State: Utah
THOR #15943
Our TOAD serves as our rear bumper!

GVP
Old 08-19-2020, 12:15 PM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLP View Post
Get a hitch put on it. Then put one of the gosh alfull hitch height adjusters and ball with a red cap. Can't find a read ball cover, spray paint it. If they want damage, they will get it. Then enjoy the rig you want.
That's the spirit!
I've had two different events; where hitches took out the radiators on vehicles that "got too close"...
It's kind of satisfying to be able to just smile, and drive away...
Old 08-20-2020, 02:06 PM   #11

THOR #6513
Here is a twist on this. I was just looking over the ACE and pondering the rear fiberglass back and thinking nothing to rot out here. Fiber glass top to bottom with 6 inches or air space between it and the coach. Easy to get to the wiring for all the lights and stuff!! Cool.

Then while sitting inside the coach, looking it over. Another customer came in to look. He pulled out his phone and said look what happened to my coach. He hit a deer and it ripped open that fiberglass cap in the BACK. It took out the bottom quarter on the drivers side!! Totally weird. No mention of front damage.

The insurance company totaled his rig. Could not get a replacement cap! Talk about a strange coincidence! .....
Old 08-20-2020, 02:28 PM   #12
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
The deer must have gone under the rig, and got "kicked-up" by the rear tires.
Old 08-20-2020, 02:46 PM   #13

THOR #6513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
The deer must have gone under the rig, and got "kicked-up" by the rear tires.

I suspect you are correct. It is a rather unusual to have the damage done in the back instead of the front. It also makes you wonder about the possibility on damage underneath the coach too.

Hitting a deer (not to mention a moose up in Canada) is always a loose loose proposition.
Old 08-20-2020, 02:53 PM   #14
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I might suspect some damage to one of the front corners (that would be the normal place for it...)
If the deer impact was there: it makes sense that it got caught by the front tires, and was then in a position to get the same beating from the rear tires; before getting kicked-up high enough to blow out the rear fiberglass...
(42 years of filling out claim forms for this sort of mess...)

Moose are really no fun at all.
You don't hit them: you hit their knees (if you are in a car). This tends to tip them up onto the hood, and they come back through the windshield to get their revenge.
Old 08-20-2020, 03:00 PM   #15

THOR #6513
Boy are you right on the "moose". We have gone to canada several times and seen multiple car collisions that killed the occupants. Every truck up there has a steel front almost like and old locomotive. (remember the Cow Catchers they had out west)
Old 08-22-2020, 06:21 PM   #16

THOR #16919
Quote:

Our Coach doesn’t have one and I’m quite sure that a bumper on the back (especially the tube type) of One of these Motorhome didn’t going to provide much impact protection anyways. Those tube type bumpers are more of a functional item to store the sewer hose in.
2017 Thor Miramar 34.1
Crimson Quartz
Dilley Dilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 06:42 PM   #17

State: Arizona
THOR #19462
Jumper for Hurricane 33x

Quote:

We just recently purchased a 2019 Hurricane 33x. It has no bumper in the rear and may not in front. We were rear ended by Chrysler 300. Having a hard time getting it repaired because the back panel is one piece and needs to be made. Is has been in the shop since July 9
Old 08-22-2020, 06:42 PM   #18

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilley Dilley View Post
Our Coach doesn’t have one and I’m quite sure that a bumper on the back (especially the tube type) of One of these Motorhome didn’t going to provide much impact protection anyways. Those tube type bumpers are more of a functional item to store the sewer hose in.
I was towing my Fiat X1/9 (just after midnight) on a dolly with my 1984 T'Bird when I ran over an alligator turtle just east of Monroe, LA. The car cleared the turtle but the hitch did not. It took me 10 quarters at car wash to get most of the turtle innards off the dolly and front of the Fiat.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 07:44 PM   #19
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilley Dilley View Post
...Those tube type bumpers are more of a functional item to store the sewer hose in.
I think that anyone hitting a "slinky-equipped" tube bumper should be forced to carry the slinky to the RV owner's home... in his front seat!
Old 08-22-2020, 08:40 PM   #20

State: Kansas
THOR #12311
Bumpers

On our ACE besides the fiberglass cap on front not much is gonna save the AC condenser and radiator