Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-18-2020, 06:12 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #21562
Bypass BIRD

My bird is not charging the house battery’s off the engine. I have ordered a new bird but will be going on a trip tomorrow. Until I get the new bird, other than the risk of draining ALL the batteries, would it be a problem to jumper the battery to the power of the isolator relay to keep the battery’s connected so the house will charge off the alternator?

Old 12-18-2020, 06:42 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobgaudette View Post
My bird is not charging the house battery’s off the engine. I have ordered a new bird but will be going on a trip tomorrow. Until I get the new bird, other than the risk of draining ALL the batteries, would it be a problem to jumper the battery to the power of the isolator relay to keep the battery’s connected so the house will charge off the alternator?
In my opinion, it would be better to run the generator than bypass the BIRD.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 06:56 PM   #3

THOR #21562
Can you elaborate as to why? Running generator is costly and added wear and tear on it. I was thinking of making the jumper switchable and only on when driving.
Old 12-18-2020, 07:26 PM   #4

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobgaudette View Post
Can you elaborate as to why? Running generator is costly and added wear and tear on it. I was thinking of making the jumper switchable and only on when driving.
Beau is right, you can do it short term but long term you put a lot of wear on your alternator, possibly over heating it

Also you will have higher voltage if you alternator has the capacity on the house batteries than you should have long term

Run the generator
Old 12-18-2020, 07:46 PM   #5

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
What added wear?
They'll charge, fill, then stop.
Unless he's running roof ac through an inverter, I don't think the added drag of the almost nothing running in the coach part on 12v is a thing.
But
Generators use half a gallon of fuel an hour
And
What will you be running the generator for that affects the bird?
Bird is an alternate charging system.

I'm not really understanding what the whole thing is other than not wanting to replace a faulted bird.

I'd jump it for now if $1.15ph for generator gas on occasion is a problem during this short trip.

Punchline:

Run the generator.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 08:48 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Well...
For very short term use: I'd use the jumpers.
But for anything longer than the trip to where you're going: it's time to fire up the genny!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 09:37 PM   #7

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
If we are talking about the Precision Circuits' device, unless the OP has the lithium version, a jumper is the same as a closed pair of solenoid contacts. The basic PC's BIRD does not limit current or charging time from the alternator.

David
Old 12-18-2020, 09:45 PM   #8

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
I have seen a few install jumpers over the years and some get by and others have a really nice H2S smell from the hot batteries

For myself I have used and abused a few alternators and always paid the price in belts and alternators

It really does come down to either run the generator and charge the batteries as needed, you don't have to run it continuously unless they are shot anyway

And it does make a difference how much load we are talking about so back to the generator, light load, charge the batteries and they should be good for several hours if not all day

There really is a reason the banks aren't connected but in an emergency, sure connect them otherwise fix the issue

You guys that have been around awhile and read many threads and forums hear about all the issues the second and third owners find, many quite entertaining but very costly
Old 12-18-2020, 09:54 PM   #9

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
The other issue is the BIRD separates the two battery banks so if you draw down the house batteries, you do not also draw down the starting battery.