Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-19-2017, 10:18 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Arizona
THOR #6671
A/C boosters

We have a 31-foot Thor Quantum with 15,000 BTU A/C unit. We live in Peoria/Phoenix AZ where temps are outrageous. We headed north to higher elevation around Prescott. Temps are 100 range. But, the A/C just cannot keep pace. Any suggestions for increasing A/C capacity? Replace rooftop unit with larger one (would ducts handle it anyway)? Portable solutions?

Old 06-19-2017, 10:42 PM   #2

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
This is an easy mod you can do to increase airflow. Remove inside AC cover, cut appropriate size hole, and install louvered vent. This mod dramatically increases air flow from the AC unit and helps with cooling the coach

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2044.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	5353

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2046.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	5354
Old 06-19-2017, 11:02 PM   #3

State: North Carolina
THOR #3952
With temps in the 100's, 15K is going to have a hard time cooling. I added a second unit in our bedroom which blows straight down the middle of the coach. Works great when we need extra cooling and if one fails we have a backup. There is always a lot of discussion on this, this time of the year. Do some searching.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:07 PM   #4

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittntherooad View Post
With temps in the 100's, 15K is going to have a hard time cooling. I added a second unit in our bedroom which blows straight down the middle of the coach. Works great when we need extra cooling and if one fails we have a backup. There is always a lot of discussion on this, this time of the year. Do some searching.
I am assuming you are doing this on 50amp coach? Or is it wired separately?
Old 06-19-2017, 11:36 PM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
The best way to make your AC cool your RV better is to minimize heat entering the living area. Use windshield/side window shades, put a thermal curtain between the cab and the living area, create reflectix window covers for the other windows in the RV, extend your awning to created shade on that side of the RV if the sun is on that side, and use trees for RV shade when possible.
Old 06-20-2017, 12:01 AM   #6

State: Arizona
THOR #6671
30 amp
Old 06-20-2017, 12:18 AM   #7

Model: Four Winds 26B
THOR #6414
I'm disappointed in our Coleman 15k btu a/c. Our Dometic 15k kept our 33 ft cougar cool in Reno in 100 degree weather but this Coleman struggles when it hits the low to mid 90s.
Old 06-20-2017, 12:48 AM   #8

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
No RV I know of will keep the interior cool, by my definition, when its over 100 outside. Walls are too thin, not nearly enough insulation. Feel the interior wall that is sun exposed in those temps, and you can see the problem. 1500BTU, I believe is about as high a capacity AC available for RV's, mainly because of available electrical power.
Old 06-20-2017, 01:14 AM   #9

Model: 29.3
State: Washington
THOR #6025
It sucks these AC units can't keep up. We have to start the generator and drive with both front and rear AC units on full blast!! We did however find that closing the bathroom and bedroom doors helped somewhat. But when it hits 110+, they can't keep up and the cabin temps run in the high 80's low 90's.
Old 06-20-2017, 01:48 AM   #10

Model: Four Winds 26B
THOR #6414
Our 2000 starcraft stayed cool in Vegas sitting on the concrete when it was 108 every day without any issues at all. I think it's the AC units not performing like the older ones.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:03 AM   #11

Model: Freedom Elite 30 FE
State: Florida
THOR #6556
Unfortunately, no good solution

I agree that the insulation is not anywhere near what you would expect in a house, so you only have two options: increase the insulation somehow or increase your a/c power or both.

We are currently in Yuma AZ with two 13500 btu units on our 31 FE. Today was 116 degrees F, and we got up to about 76 degrees inside and tomorrow is supposed to be 121 degrees F. I'm curious to see how this works, but I suspect it will be about 80 degrees or so inside, which is acceptable in 10% humidity. We will be adding some blankets over the windows to keep as much heat out as possible, and we do have some shade in the late afternoon.

wsgts
Old 06-20-2017, 11:38 AM   #12

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLM1965 View Post
We have a 31-foot Thor Quantum with 15,000 BTU A/C unit. We live in Peoria/Phoenix AZ where temps are outrageous. We headed north to higher elevation around Prescott. Temps are 100 range. But, the A/C just cannot keep pace. Any suggestions for increasing A/C capacity? Replace rooftop unit with larger one (would ducts handle it anyway)? Portable solutions?
I have only seen roof-top A/Cs officially rated up to 15,000 BTU/hr, although one company advertises their's as equivalent to 18,00O. I'll remain skeptical on that "equivalent" capacity until I see a lot more data.

There are some basement-type (central) A/Cs that go up to at least 24,000 BTU/hr (2-tons) in one unit. Coleman makes one with two 13,500 compressors but it mounts under RV, not on roof. Obviously it's not something easy or practical to retrofit -- adding a second roof top A/C makes much more sense.

If reducing RV heat load isn't enough, adding a second roof-mounted A/C is probably the best long-term solution. Getting electrical power to it may be one of the greatest challenges because of your 30-Amp service. It can be done though by either upgrading electrical to 50-Amp service (more expensive) or running second dedicated extension cord to campground pedestal (cheaper approach). Your 4K generator likely won't be able to run both simultaneously.

Short-term I've seen RVers install portable A/Cs to help cool things down. That requires venting a large hose or two through a window plus running power to CG pedestal. In desert conditions like you are describing I'd be concern that a single-hose portable unit may not be as effective because make-up air drawn into RV would be so hot, adding to cooling needs.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:53 AM   #13

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
Best tip you've gotten IME is to use a reflective shield in the front windshield and in the side driver and passenger window. That simple mod made a 15 degree difference in the front of our coach when the temp is above 90.
Old 06-20-2017, 12:28 PM   #14

State: North Carolina
THOR #3952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post
I am assuming you are doing this on 50amp coach? Or is it wired separately?
I have it wired seperatley to plug into the cg pedestal. I also wired in a breaker into the rv panel with a female plug so I can run it seperatley when just using the generator or 30 amp cg plug. It's in the bedroom and normally at night it is all we need.
Do a search, lots of info on this problem.