Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-26-2021, 10:28 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Arizona
THOR #22044
A/C in my Hurricane

Question for you experienced Rvers for me the rookie....I have my A/C set on auto 74 degrees for the A/C to come on....it is 101 outside today and I just returned to my RV from playing ball in a softball tourney....the A/C was on but it is only 87 in here...why isn't it cooler? The A/C's are blowing COOL air, but not COLD air....is something wrong with my A/C?

Old 06-26-2021, 10:45 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by inlyzbldcj View Post
Question for you experienced Rvers for me the rookie....I have my AC set on auto 74 degrees for the AC to come on....it is 101 outside today and I just returned to my RV from playing ball in a softball tourney....the AC was on but it is only 87 in here...why isn't it cooler? The AC's are blowing COOL air, but not COLD air....is something wrong with my AC?
Nope - most seen to work that way. The biggest heat gain is through the windshield so Magna shade or Reflextix will help. Roof A/Cs cool the inside air going across the coils by 20 degrees. Your coach has single pane windows, R-5 insulation in the walls and R-18 in the ceiling. The heat load is more than the A/C can handle. Best advice is to staying the shade. Search this Forum for A/C and heat advice.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 10:56 PM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Research Delta-t and learn about AC. You can use that term to search the forum for a lengthy discussion.
Old 06-26-2021, 10:58 PM   #4

State: Arizona
THOR #22044
running engine

What about running the cab AC with the engine running while on levelers....would that be ok?
Old 06-26-2021, 11:02 PM   #5

THOR #6411
Quote:
What about running the cab AC with the engine running while on levelers....would that be ok?
Yes. as long as the engine doesn't overheat. In the summer we run the generator and both roof A/C in addition to the dash A/C to keep the coach cool when traveling.
Old 06-26-2021, 11:17 PM   #6

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Use a thermometer and check where the air goes into the filter on either side that is your air in the rv if it is 87 the air coming out should be 20 degrees or more less than the air going in 67 or less. Also when was the last time the ac filters were cleaned. If the fan was on low and the air went from cold to warm the AC evaporator coil could be frozen the fan must be put on high and the compressor off till it melts the ice
Old 07-02-2021, 07:43 PM   #7

State: Massachusetts
THOR #23325
I have a 2021 34J. Anyone have issues with chassis A/C?
Is it a problem to run generator and roof A/C's if needed while traveling over road? Is there a conflict with generator/12 volt system or does generator override ?
Old 07-02-2021, 08:16 PM   #8

THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanaug View Post
I have a 2021 34J. Anyone have issues with chassis AC?
Is it a problem to run generator and roof AC's if needed while traveling over road? Is there a conflict with generator/12 volt system or does generator override ?
Your Battery Interconnect module (BIM) will keep the 12 volt power sources isolated.
Old 07-03-2021, 04:52 PM   #9

Model: Citation
THOR #8139
There are several things you can do to make your ac unit much more efficient

Here are a couple of YouTube, Coleman and Dometic.
https://www.airxcel.com/rv/coleman-m...e-support/faqs

Then check this thread, it's a long read but worth the time.
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...-12980-13.html
Old 07-03-2021, 05:40 PM   #10
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanaug View Post
I have a 2021 34J. Anyone have issues with chassis A/C?
Is it a problem to run generator and roof A/C's if needed while traveling over road? Is there a conflict with generator/12 volt system or does generator override ?
First, no problems running the generator to use the house AC while traveling. We do it all the time.

The chassis AC is a different issue and you may want to start getting it check sooner rather than later. Part of the AC is warranted by Ford while the inside ducting and other components are installed and warranted by Thor.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 06:16 PM   #11

State: Maryland
THOR #15737
So there are a number of different things that you have to consider. First, is that number a measurement you made or on the display. I ask that because the location of the front AC temp sensor results in incorrect values. My RV is 74 degrees, but the display says 78. Secondly, you should measure the temp coming out of the cold side of the AC. There are only so many degrees it can drop.
I recently installed RV AirSystems upgrade, and the increase in airflow is surprising. My AC cycles on and off all the time now, instead of running all day.