Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-05-2020, 07:20 PM   #21
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
As with anything you're going to get the full spectrum of RV owners (especially with more of them entering the fray).

You'll get the person who just picked one up and never has had one before.
You'll get the person who this is their 6th RV who plays by the rules.
You'll get the person who spent everything on the RV and doesn't want to spend a darn cent on anything else ("I'm on a fixed income!!!").
You'll get the person who does everything by the book and you're blinded by the side of the RV as it passes because its so shiny.
You'll get the person who's RV is ready to fall apart going down the road (that you think "How does that thing stay together?" "Its like 50 years old right?")
You'll get the person who bought the RV, used it once, and it now sits out back....

and you'll get the few of us on the forums: we know our RV's inside & out, camp responsibly, are friendly (well most of us), and willing to help out...

It just all depends on who you meet out there.

Unfortunately, businesses that provide a "free" spot to RV's often have to make the rules to eliminate the common denominator which ruins it for a lot of the others...

JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 10:21 PM   #22

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
I am becoming more and more aware that my owning of an rv has caste me with a LOT of folks I wish it didn't.
Between the:
Me first always.

How do I find my ass with both hands.

I didn't bother even type in 'TV antenna' before showing how helpless I am.

I've never so much as put a matchbook under a table leg.

Better to ask forgiveness than permission.

I complain chronically as a hobby.

I'm too broke to afford an rv space.

I didnt read the contract.

Ford should have/Thor should have.

The residual sawdust behind my kitchen drawer is a travesty.

The Inalienable right to park in a retailers space;

I've become aware I probably won't be caravanning around with most of you.

Like Dave, I'm frustrated with some/many of you.
What about those that pose a question(s), and yet never return with a response or outcome?
Our Neighborhood association uses an apps called Nextdoor. It is actually 10 times worse than I read on here, make me want to move. It is not a day that goes by when there isn't a complaint about someone calling police for unknown noise, bobcats, firecracker, city's EMS system, or person at the door. But one I never understood is why so may pet lovers who crave their pets lose them or let them get away? It is not a day that goes by when there are multiple lost dogs or cats and some of the owners are repeats.

For OP, what I missed is what did the Manager say to you before you attempted to spend the night or use the facilities? Cabela's website does not claim that all stores allow and suggest it can vary so after checking with local Manager, that should have aligned your expectation for that location.

A good for sure practice is to shop first and have all of your items in checkout and ask for Manager while in line. I am sure you will get a favorable response every time if the local laws allow. If not; simply return your items if you so choose but peacefully move on.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 10:27 PM   #23

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
I, for the sake of slight sanity, assume those who don't come back got their answer and are consumed with the cure. I find it rude, but I hope they were cured.
But:
Those who ask:
How does my faucet work? It only has one handle
...those upset me. Not for my sake the upset, but this could be my cpa or proctologist and their decisions are impactful.

Where can I buy a Ford key?
Really?
This question came from a mom or a cpa or a pastor...pity their charges.

I try really hard to give answers, alternative answers, and include pictures all while making sure I come from a point of personal reference.

I 3xp3ct the same from questions.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 12:53 AM   #24
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Sometimes folks will ask a question just to get a conversation started. I sort of figure that there's always somebody out there who will learn something from it.
Old 07-11-2020, 06:59 PM   #25

Model: A.C.E. 29.2
State: Oklahoma
THOR #2542
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Unfortunately the situation is about to get a lot worse with the number of first time RV buyers soaring. A lot of these folks have no sense of responsibility and its only give me, give me, give me.

I will pay my 50.00 for an overnight at a campground and support the local economy that way.
I think we’ve overnighted at a Walmart only once otherwise we always stay at a campground and pay their fee whatever it happens to be.
Old 07-11-2020, 07:43 PM   #26

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
I mostly spend my nights in campgrounds but have overnighted at Wally World a time or two. My two cents is if a business allows overnighting and has facilities, they should be available and operational. If they're not, that is just poor business practice. I keep hearing about free overnighters abusing the privilege, but to be honest, some big box stores are so trashy it would be hard to notice is a camper left a mess. I also like the questions people post. Although some seem to easy to ask, I use them as refresher training for myself. They help me keep my eye on the trivial and mundane functions of my coach.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 08:05 PM   #27

Model: 24.1 Axis
State: Minnesota
THOR #15131
Before everyone goes nuts on the issue, has anyone contacted the Green Bay store to ask about the incident? Could be just the actions of one employee. Someone could call corporate office and ask them too. I like camping at Cabela's and would like to continue to do so. [emoji1783][emoji631]
Old 07-11-2020, 08:12 PM   #28

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
Exclamation Some reality...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
... if a business allows overnighting and has facilities, they should be available and operational. If they're not, that is just poor business practice. I keep hearing about free overnighters abusing the privilege, but to be honest, some big box stores are so trashy it would be hard to notice is a camper left a mess..
yes, and no...
(I'll just agree, and also disagree...)

Your term 'allow' is really the key 'word' in this whole equation. None of these businesses are 'asking' for anyone to come and overnight there. They are just 'allowing' it, sometimes with some nice amenities to boot, such as 'dedicated rv parking spots', optional dump station, etc.
While some may assume that this means that they 'should' be under some type of requirement to 'keep up the facilities', though, might be a stretch.

It's a bonus to have these options, and nice when you are simply in a situation where it makes sense, but it's not a 'campground' or 'rv park' that is there to solely make us happy, but just a byproduct of what they see as an extension of good will. Good Will can't be 'demanded', even if it seems to be a regular occurrence, or becomes our 'expectation'.

Yes, if you pull into a Cabels and expect there to be a spot for your dedicated rv parking, and there's not one, whether because it's already full of other RVrs, or whether it's 'out of order', or whether it's because the store has decided that it was more important to start using it for some other reason, it can be aggravating when it's not available. Maybe when it's full of other RVrs our emotions now have what it considers a 'fair' reason, but if the store decided to park boats there, in 'our way', our emotions don't have that same 'reason' to justify staying calm about it.

[[we've pulled into many a walmart to find that, due to something, someone, or even several 'reasons', we left and went somewhere else... sometimes even just next door, at a neighboring parking lot, where things were totally different. HD and Lowes, too. There's no 'guarantee' of parking availability, no matter whether it's a store that normally 'welcomes' RVs, or those who don't have a care either way - I don't really look, or care so much, about 'dedicated' RV parking spaces, no matter where I am, even if they actually have them]]
Old 07-11-2020, 09:14 PM   #29

State: Florida
THOR #19087
Am I missing something? The post did not say they were entitled to stay there. The statement, "And no, the truckers were not contributing to the mess" is also disheartening because it paints RVers with a broad brush. Many of use were prior military, retired business people, etc. We're not bottom feeders. It's very obvious Cabelas and Bass are not "in the business" of providing overnight lodging. The purchases made by RVers who stay overnight provide them business, and the privilege of parking there was a byproduct of that generosity. No one here ever demanded that. If you don't like businesses having a give and take with their RV customers, that's fine. But if it's about business, then it's a poor business decision IMHO.

As for this part, "As a note, our local communities are tired of RV owners trashing parking lots at retail establishments and have enacted no overnight parking ordinances." You're conflating "homeless" RV dwellers with responsible RV owners. People in LA dump their black tank into the sewer. They stay on the streets for weeks in the same place. That's typically why the ordinances are passed. The owners of RVs who take genuine road trips to see America, and incidentally, boost those local economies, are not the problem.

Businesses have every right to not help out RVers just as RVers can order their parts and gadgets online now. Who's gonna win?
Old 07-11-2020, 09:23 PM   #30

Model: Thor four winds SF 35
THOR #13025
Most Cabelas in my area don’t allow overnight camping. Trucks parking on their lots have ruined it for rv’s. This seems to be the policy ever where.
Old 07-11-2020, 10:42 PM   #31
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
If they allow parking: that's great!
If they don't: just keep on truckin', and don't make a big deal about it.
Old 07-11-2020, 10:48 PM   #32

THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
If they allow parking: that's great!
If they don't: just keep on truckin', and don't make a big deal about it.
Exactly.
Same with propane.
The same with fuel islands and waiting
The same with a long que for the dairy queen
Convenience is my queen.
We believe in NEXT!

Old 07-11-2020, 11:19 PM   #33
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I'm a firm believer in not sweating the petty things.
And also not petting the sweaty things!
Old 07-12-2020, 09:17 PM   #34

Model: Thor Hurricane 29M
State: Florida
THOR #9033
We went into lockdown in Ap and couldn't go to the Keys and had to cancel at a KOA in Hollywood FL.....they kept $10 each night for something that wasn't our fault....the Keys were CLOSED!. They would not refund....too bad.....by keeping our 20 bucks, they lost hundreds in the future from us and our group.....that's not only stupid business but not a people business.....
Old 07-12-2020, 10:14 PM   #35
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
That kind of stinks... I'd take a chance on another directly to the manager..,
Old 07-12-2020, 10:29 PM   #36

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
Exactly.
Same with propane.
The same with fuel islands and waiting
The same with a long que for the dairy queen
Convenience is my queen.
We believe in NEXT!
Speaking of next... I meant to tell you in reference to your post about those asking where to get a Ford key

2 years ago my son's camaro was stolen, insurance paid out, but we could not find a car close to what he had for the money paid out, car was recovered by Plano, tx PD 6 months later!!!!, we repurchase the car via a Dealer in New Jersey VIA an Auction that we won as highest bidder . We get to car towed to a local shop in Dallas, only to learn it has no keys Insurance company had lost the keys

So we go to Chevy dealership to have keys made, $200 later we have two keys but they don't work properly!!!! In order to get the car to start you had to take the Fob and put it within 1 inch of the key head for car to start. It was a royal PIA. So NEXT; we go to another Chevy Dealer, who acknowledged a defect as their OEM keys did the same thing.

So NEXT and finally, I happened upon a tiny locksmith in parking lot that had a building half the size of normal home storage shed. I told him what had happened with the camaro keys, he was laughing all the way. He took the keys & fob I had, went out to the car, went back inside and 5 min later I had two working keys and FOBs for $75

So if anyone ever ask me for any kind of key, that is where I send them, in fact; I am going to have two spare keys made for the Ford F-53 now that you got me thinking about it.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 07-12-2020, 10:54 PM   #37
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Can they make keys for MB Sprinters, or Smarts?
Old 07-12-2020, 11:12 PM   #38
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfbum18 View Post
We went into lockdown in Ap and couldn't go to the Keys and had to cancel at a KOA in Hollywood FL.....they kept $10 each night for something that wasn't our fault....the Keys were CLOSED!. They would not refund....too bad.....by keeping our 20 bucks, they lost hundreds in the future from us and our group.....that's not only stupid business but not a people business.....
KOA must’ve been open for them to charge the 10.00. If it were closed it should have been a full refund.
Old 07-13-2020, 05:01 PM   #39

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Can they make keys for MB Sprinters, or Smarts?
Bob I talked to Tyler this morning, I will go by later this week to get 2 Ford F-53 keys cut.

He says he can do the Smart keys and some of the MB Splinter it depends on year.

He said it was okay for me to pass his info along and for you or others to give him a call. I told him about the RV site; so if you mention, (D Koldman) RV forum and my story about how he saved the world fixing my Camaro's fob issue that the two Chevy dealerships could not; he will know it's you.

Tyler Vaulot (Owner)
Licensed Locksmith
972-416-1600

Alpha Lock Security
Specializing in Car Keys / Fobs / Remotes
Carrollton, Texas
Old 07-13-2020, 05:13 PM   #40

THOR #13932
The Ford key example was representative, not a definitive.

I have a quick insurance buy-back story.
In 1979, our 1971 Cuda convertible was stolen. I've been tracking it for years. The insurance company says it's mine when found.

I have a $10,000 bounty on it if anyone is interested.