Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-09-2018, 10:53 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Oregon
THOR #9314
Cabinets in 2018 vegas

Does anyone know what the cabinetry walls in this year and model are made of?
A repair place said the area that has cracks on the rounded wall is simply some “tape” paper that Thor send them to be put over the cracks versus replacing a section of the cabinetry.

So it sounds like the wood look is simply like contact paper applied over something????

Old 11-09-2018, 11:19 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #4735
yep, basically melamine board with a 'faux' finish... usually shipped to the RV manufacture in 4 x 8 sheets. This is what you'll find in most units until you get into the higher end coaches where real wood is used, at least on the cabinet fronts.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 11:22 PM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
State: Oregon
THOR #9314
Do you know if i wanted to paint them i would have to melt (heat gun) this faux finish off, then prime and paint.
Or put a different faux finish over it??
Old 11-09-2018, 11:50 PM   #4

THOR #4735
I would doubt that the surface of melamine board is anything you'd want to paint - it's not a 'flat' surface. It's similar to what's behind Formica(R), as it's just a 'faux' hard covering over a similar melamine type board. The underlying board is the real savings for the manufacturers, so it's not going to be any good surface to do anything other than 'cover up', just like the original.
I used to have a customer in my town who did this very board 'covering', which is similar to a 'hard' wallpaper, and supplied them to the industries that make use of them, such as furniture makers who sell the 'build yourself' or 'ready to assemble' type of office desks, cabinets, etc. It's just easy to cut 4 x 8 sheets that manufacturers can easily customize to make their own RV cabinetry, since all of their cabinets are made at the RV factory, and not purchased and shipped in as finished items.
Old 03-22-2020, 09:26 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 35M
THOR #9751
Thumbs down Thor cabinets

I just installed an electric fireplace insert in my Thor Hurricane, and I want to trim out the insert with the same color wood as the frame of the fireplace. Does anyone know if we consumers can purchase some of the veneer covering material, and apply it to some regular wood trim material that I would purchase at Home Depot or Lowes?