Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-20-2017, 06:00 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 34.2
State: New York
THOR #3584
cable converters

How are folks dealing with the cable converters at the campgrounds? We just came back from Fort Wilderness in Disney World and they gave us a TV cable converter to use. After reading the instructions and all that had to be done I decided not to use it. We have 3 TV’s; this is a big inconvenience if you’re going away for a weekend or 3 weeks. Anybody have other ideas on this issue?

Old 04-20-2017, 06:09 PM   #2

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
I bought a converter with HDMI out. But after having to drag a cable through the driver's window to use it, I finally decided to just buy a new 32" Samsung 720p Smart TV. Installation was a snap. I used the same mount. (I did have to move it over a bit.) I really only use the main TV. I don't need the TV in the bedroom and only have once used the outside TV. I am happy that I did. Not only does the Samsung work out of the box, but being a Smart TV it has Amazon and Netflix built in.

Definitely worth the $200
Old 04-20-2017, 06:16 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
That seems to be the consensus around here: Just replace the TV's.

(Of course if Ft Wilderness has encrypted QAM you'll still need the box--haven't been there since about '06).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 10:28 PM   #4

THOR #3584
It's crazy to replace 3 TVs on a motorhome I just bought 1 year ago. We are camping right now and my daughter and son-in-law have a small travel trailer, and their TV is picking up all the channels, and my motorhome is not. There's got to be some solution out there, that tackles the situation
Old 04-29-2017, 11:01 PM   #5

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
SUENMIKE -- the SEIKi TVs Thor uses do not have QAM tuners. That means they will not decode the coded cable system used at Fort Wilderness (and some other parks as well). The only way you will be able to use cable at Fort Wilderness is to checkout a box at the Meadows Country Store. The other alternative is to use the antenna. Every time I'm at Ft Wilderness we can get about 75 channels over the antenna.

In parks using Dish or other non-QAM coded cable systems, the Seiki's will scan the cable channels fine. In fact, of all the places we have camped Ft Wilderness is the only place where the Seikis would not scan the cable channels.

Don't forget, when scanning cable channels, the antenna booster must be turned off or the TV's will not scan any cable systems.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 11:55 PM   #6

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
I don't think that you're needing to 'replace' anything... it sounds more as if the campground is using a cable provider that has switched to 'digital' cable and requires use of it's own box and remote for any/all tvs for each site...

you'll find that many, if not most, other rv parks and campgrounds that provide cable tv do NOT require any additional connection other than the coax cable between your coach connection and the cable point, usually in or near the Shore Power pole.

in as many parks as we've seen in the last several years, only a handful, maybe two if I remember, required a separate box and remote - one near Seattle... and, yes, it's really a big hassle for not only each campsite, but for the park itself.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 12:14 AM   #7

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Indiana
THOR #6414
Reading all these post about Seiki TVs had me worried but having taken delivery of my MH I've discovered I have no issues with either of my Seiki TVs as it relates to local channels. Both of my Seiki TVs are smart TVs.
Old 04-30-2017, 12:16 AM   #8

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
Using satellite solves the problem, too. We pretty much always use our direct TV satellite, which because it goes directly into the HDMI input, doesn't care about the tuner.
Old 04-30-2017, 12:53 AM   #9

THOR #3584
Thank you guys for all the advice, how do I know if my Seiki is a smart tv, again the motorhome home is a 2016
Old 04-30-2017, 01:29 AM   #10

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
I didn't know any of the Seiki's were smart TV's. If its a smart TV, it will attempt to connect to the internet, and will have screens for Netflix, Amazon and many other apps.
Old 04-30-2017, 01:36 AM   #11

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Just use the antenna! There's surely something more entertaining in Ft Wilderness than watching tv.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 11:32 AM   #12
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Another option is to get a smart DVD player and connect that to the TV or in my case the HDMI switch. Although I replaced my Seiki with a Sharp Aquos the sharp is an older smart TV with limited apps (Netflix and VUDU primarily). The smart DVD player allows access to far more apps than the TV and hooked into the HDMI switch allows viewing on any TV.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 11:45 AM   #13

THOR #3584
dstankov, is replacing the DVD player as simple as just switching it out with the old one.
Old 04-30-2017, 12:33 PM   #14

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Illinois
THOR #3306
We are replacing TVs. The Sekai are horrible.
Old 04-30-2017, 12:50 PM   #15
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by suenmike View Post
dstankov, is replacing the DVD player as simple as just switching it out with the old one.
That is all I had to do. I replaced the factory installed one with a low end Blu Ray player recycled from the house and now I am replacing that one with a Samsung smart Blu Ray player. I do need to get some more velcro strips to secure it in place but it will be ready for our trip to Cape Hatteras this coming weekend.

If you have the same setup as mine, HDMI out on the DVD to HDMI in on the HDMI switch and then plug in the power cord. You will have to setup the internet connection with each campground but you would have to do that on a smart TV as well.

The old RCA player that came with my coach became a tax deduction when I donated it to Goodwill last year and the current Blu Ray will be a tax deduction this year.
FMCA - F432054
Old 04-30-2017, 01:04 PM   #16

THOR #3584
Did the new DVD player work for all the TV's in your motorhome, or just one
Old 04-30-2017, 01:20 PM   #17
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by suenmike View Post
Did the new DVD player work for all the TV's in your motorhome, or just one
Using the HDMI switch the DVD player can be viewed on all TVs, Or if desired it can be connected into an individual televison.

The limitation to my A/V system is the HDMI switch. The HDMI switch is not full matrix so you can't run a game console on one TV and DVD on another going through the cheap switch. Since I am not a gamer I am not overly concerned with this aspect at this time.

On the attached pic, the current Blu Ray/DVD is on the left the HDMI switch on the right (red lights) and I have my iPad connected into the HDMI switch as well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0816.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	4791

If interested here is the link to a thread I posted last year when I swapped out my Seiki.

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27...r-tv-3647.html
FMCA - F432054
Old 04-30-2017, 01:27 PM   #18

THOR #3584
Yeah, I don't need the games, just need all the TVs to operate individually off one DVD box. Thank you for all the advice.
Old 04-30-2017, 01:48 PM   #19
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
A "Smart TV" has nothing to do with being able to tune either QAM unencrypted digital cable or the encrypted digital cable that all major cable providers are switching to, which requires all TVs (even "Smart TVs) to have an external tuner.
Old 04-30-2017, 02:17 PM   #20

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Indiana
THOR #6414
I guess my television use does not require a QAM tuner.