Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2017, 09:28 PM   #1

State: Arkansas
THOR #6963
We have a 2017 Windsport 34p and cannot pick up cable TV.

We were told that we need a converter box to pick up the new type of HD signal. What type of converter box do we need?

Old 06-27-2017, 09:32 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
One supplied by the cable company if encrypted digital signal. Or if a standard QAM signal, you need a TV with a QAM tuner.
Old 06-27-2017, 09:41 PM   #3

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Depends on the system that a park has. Any park using a Dish system will be fine. You have to go to the menu on your remote and scan for channels each time you go camping. Also, if you are scanning for cable channels, you MUST turn off the antenna amplifier. If you leave the antenna amp on, your cable system will be disabled.

Some parks may have a cable system that uses encoded QAM system. If you have Seiki TVs, or any other make, that does not have a QAM tuner, you will not be able at decode the encoded cable channels. For example, Disney World Ft Wilderness has a QAM encoded cable system and my Vegas Seiki TVs will not decode the channels.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 09:41 PM   #4

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Depends on the system that a park has. Any park using a Dish system will be fine. You have to go to the menu on your remote and scan for channels each time you go camping. Also, if you are scanning for cable channels, you MUST turn off the antenna amplifier. If you leave the antenna amp on, your cable system will be disabled.

Some parks may have a cable system that uses encoded QAM system. If you have Seiki TVs, or any other make, that does not have a QAM tuner, you will not be able at decode the encoded cable channels. For example, Disney World Ft Wilderness has a QAM encoded cable system and my Vegas Seiki TVs will not decode the channels.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 09:45 PM   #5

THOR #6963
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevedfelker View Post

Thank you. That is the info I need
Old 06-27-2017, 10:09 PM   #6

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Unfortunately Thor uses very inexpensive tv's that don't have digital or QAM compatible tuners. Many owners have changed out their tv's to ones that are compatible with campground signals, I did. With the digital tuner I get over twice as many over the air channels and can also receive all campground channels. I know it's a pain but unfortunately there are few choices if you want to watch cable.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:19 PM   #7

THOR #6963
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
Unfortunately Thor uses very inexpensive tv's that don't have digital or QAM compatible tuners. Many owners have changed out their tv's to ones that are compatible with campground signals, I did. With the digital tuner I get over twice as many over the air channels and can also receive all campground channels. I know it's a pain but unfortunately there are few choices if you want to watch cable.

Thank you
Old 06-29-2017, 02:22 PM   #8

Model: 2017 Windsport 34J
State: Alabama
THOR #5645
QAM Compliant?

So how can you tell if a TV is QAM compliant? I looked up a couple on the CW site and it wasn't mentioned.
Thanx,
Dan
Old 06-29-2017, 02:38 PM   #9
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarEagleDan View Post
So how can you tell if a TV is QAM compliant? I looked up a couple on the CW site and it wasn't mentioned.
Thanx,
Dan
Look at the tuner specs: ATSC for over the air, QAM for digital cable.

An why would you look at CW for a TV?
Old 06-29-2017, 11:36 PM   #10

Brand: Still Looking
Model: 2019 Coachman Catalina
State: Wisconsin
THOR #5432
Last day after thanksgiving we picked up LG 40" TV for main TV for under $200 IT picks up all the digital and non digital cable channels. We get twice as many channels at a lot of campgrounds than the other TV's in the RV.