Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-28-2017, 10:24 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas
State: New York
THOR #5629
Water sanitising for Thor Vegas

We add a bit of bleach to our holding water tank, but find the water coming out of the sink faucets is foamy afterward. Is there something else we could add? Bromine? Anyone else have foaming problems? How much is the right amount?

Old 06-28-2017, 10:47 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
I add bleach to my water tank if I am not going to use the RV for a while and run a half tank of water with a cup of bleach thru the faucets, shower and hot water heater. Before I leave on a trip, I empty the tank, fill it with fresh water, run the fresh water thru the hot water heater, faucets and shower, empty the tank and and half fill it to travel. I have never had any foaming problem.
Old 06-29-2017, 04:37 AM   #3

State: Colorado
THOR #5477
Rule of thumb. 1/4 cup of bleach for every 10 gallons of water. Fill tank and run treated water thru all faucets. Let set for 3 hours. Drain tank and fill again. Drain again and put how much you want to carry in tank. All nasty stuff is dead and bleach taste is gone. Remember water weighs almost 8 pounds per gallon.
Old 06-29-2017, 07:48 PM   #4

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
laundry bleach, at least some of it, has soap in it.
Maybe you're using a kind with a lot of soap..... or just putting in a lot.

Personally, i'd stay away from any of the scented types but I figure not enough is going in for the little bit of soap to hurt anything much.
Old 06-29-2017, 07:51 PM   #5

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Indiana
THOR #6414
Since I'm on city water I don't do anything special other than fill up and flush periodically with city water. They add enough chemicals to keep the city system safe to keep my RV safe too.
Old 06-29-2017, 09:10 PM   #6

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Tennessee
THOR #5440
Foamy Water Eventually Goes Away

I just experienced this as well before our first spring trip. After being winterized over the winter, I sanitized our fresh water tank using bleach per the ratios in the owners manual. I completely filled and flushed the tank twice with clean water (and run it through all of the faucets for some time)before we left for our trip, but noticed the water was still foamy. After about 3-4 days of camping using both a combination of city water hookup and fresh tank water, it eventually cleared up. I suspect it just takes awhile to get all of the bleach/residue out of the hot water and fresh water tanks (I'm sure driving helps to get more stuff off the sides of the tank walls, too). Try to run as much fresh water through your tanks as you can until it clears up. I used our tank water for showers and cleaning dishes, and bottled water for cooking, brushing teeth, etc. until the foam went away.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:49 PM   #7

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by airforceret View Post
Since I'm on city water I don't do anything special other than fill up and flush periodically with city water. They add enough chemicals to keep the city system safe to keep my RV safe too.
I used to figure this was the case too.
A couple years ago I did some research. I don't remember exactly where I found the specification... it was heather the CDS or WHO or both....I actually found several references.... regarding the necessary levels of free chlorine residual for sanitization...and just for "safe" water storage.
Then I looked up what my municipal water supplier reports as their levels...and even checked the levels in my tap water using my swimming pool test kit, to see what was what.
I found levels that matched what the water company reported them to be
and these levels were lower than what is supposedly necessary.
None of this was horribly accurate or laboratory level stuff.... but it gave me a good feel.

Now,
that's all theory.
Real world, I still feel like if my system is clean to start with, the levels of biocide in the water from the tap should certainly keep things clean and safe enough. I certainly don't worry about it.
Once in a while...maybe once a year if I get time and think about it, I'll do a cursory sanitization but I certainly don't trouble with measured amounts or times.....