Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-21-2018, 03:29 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E. 30.2 Bunkhouse
State: Kentucky
THOR #8259
Calling all Aria owners

Hopefully in the next couple years, my wife and I will be able to upgrade from our ACE to a DP. I’ve had my eye on the Aria 3901 as I absolutely LOVE that floor plan. But I research my purchases (especially big ones) for at least a couple years before I pull the trigger. Aria owners out there, what can you tell me? What do you love, like, dislike, or hate about your Aria? Would you buy it again? And is there really that big of a difference between the Aria and the Tiffin Allegro Red? Or the Phaeton? If so, what are they? I’d the price difference seen in the differences in the products? Any info is greatly appreciated!

Old 12-21-2018, 03:42 PM   #2

Model: Aria 3901
State: Idaho
THOR #9660
We didn't look at an Allegro Red, as the local dealer did not have one in stock for the 18 month's that we were looking. I did look at one after we purchased the Aria, and in my opinion, the Red is more comparable to the Palazzo. We drove a Phaeton, it was great, but for the money and features, the Aria won out. Actually, the day we bought the Aria, I went to the dealer to drive, probably purchase a Discovery 40X. I drove the Discovery, then the Aria and really looked at the two closely. The Aria had more basement storage, more kitchen storage, and despite the smaller engine, I liked driving it better. Our Aria had some issues when we first got it, a few fit, finish things that were taken care of immediately, and electrical problems with the GFI that our dealer took weeks to remedy. Finally, and I'm not sure if Thor or my dealer paid for it, they switched to a pure sine wave inverter. That solved all of our problems. One of our basement doors was severely out of alignment and we did have a dreaded basement water leak, but that one was fixed at the dealer while I waited. We put about 8000 miles on it last year, all long weekends or local camping trips. We have been twice over the Sierra's and twice over the Blue's in Oregon while towing our 5000LB toad. It could be a little faster over the big long hills, but once I learned to shift down a little sooner, I have been impressed with how well it does over those hills. The floor plan has been terrific. Driving is so much more relaxing than our previous gassers. I would definitely purchase it again. The more we use it, the more I like it. I have added 3 more solar panels which has helped greatly when dry camping. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.
Mike
Old 12-21-2018, 08:32 PM   #3
LDK

State: Colorado
THOR #13190
Hi Mike. Could you share details on your solar upgrade? I shared dry camping interest to the dealer, and they suggested adding two 165 watt panels to the existing 100 watt panel. They stated the existing 30amp PWM controller would handle the additional panels. I have a 2019 Aria 3901.
Old 12-21-2018, 08:58 PM   #4

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
if you're adding two more 12v panels, in parallel with the other, your current charge controller should work just fine, and give you more off-grid time between generator runs...

my 2 100w panels run thru a 20amp charge controller, for about 10amp output on a direct sun timeframe, and work just fine to trickle charge the house batteries while in storage, and provide some good additional charging when parked, or for overnights without shore power.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 09:09 PM   #5

State: Idaho
THOR #9660
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDK View Post
Hi Mike. Could you share details on your solar upgrade? I shared dry camping interest to the dealer, and they suggested adding two 165 watt panels to the existing 100 watt panel. They stated the existing 30amp PWM controller would handle the additional panels. I have a 2019 Aria 3901.
That is what my dealer originally told me also, but in talking to Grape Solar, who manufactured the original 100W panel and the controller, they said that the panels need to stay in a certain percentage watts-wise to be compatible. I don't remember exactly what they told me, but I think it was within 30 percent. So, I went with 3 additional 100w panels. I purchased them from Renogy, on
Amazon as the price and reviews were very favorable. Grape Solar said that the controller would handle the 4 panels easily. I also purchased Renogy Y adapters from Amazon which made installation super easy. And compared to what my dealer was going to charge I saved over $1000. I planned on an all afternoon job and it took about 45 minutes from the time I opened the boxes.
Mike