Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-13-2018, 09:24 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo 33.4
State: Colorado
THOR #10498
Campers Log?

Ok, I searched the forum and couldn't come up with anything related to what I was looking for.

Back when, I had a Camper's Log Book (yes actual pages and a spine and it required a writing instrument rather than a keyboard) and I have been looking for a Trip Planning app or program that combines both my trip plans,and a log that I can enter specifics. For instance, we used to keep track of who was on the trip, who we met, where, how well we liked a specific campground or spot within a campground, what pictures I took along the way. Basically free-form notes along with the same stuff that the current apps track, (cost of fuel, cost of stay, campground location).

Since I filled my first book years ago, I was using Evernote to keep track of those notes, but I was hoping somebody somewhere created an app.

And I am an Android / PC user, so iOS apps don't work for me.

Suggestions, thoughts?

2016 Polaris RZR 1000 HLE
1998 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500
Funhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:38 PM   #2

Model: Freedom Elite 28H
State: California
THOR #3559
Trip Log

I also keep a log. I just write every trip down in a spiral notebook including where we went, camping spot, who we camped with, etc. It has been handy when trying to remember which time we were where (??) and with who/whom.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:46 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Actually I bet you won't find anything better than Evernote.

Keeping a log is a great idea. I keep the campground brochures in a binder and have a specific directory structure for all the pictures but that is about it.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:51 PM   #4

Model: Freedom Elite 28H
State: California
THOR #3559
I also have a binder full of brochures - with all our favorite sites marked with notes on leveling difficulty, etc. it's useful when making reservations to be able to remember sites that were not as good as others.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:11 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Old School, and pretty rudimentary here: we're planning to use a 3-ring binder...
It's big enough to keep a lot of notes, and there's tons of room for pictures and receipts.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:34 PM   #6

THOR #10498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Old School, and pretty rudimentary here: we're planning to use a 3-ring binder...
It's big enough to keep a lot of notes, and there's tons of room for pictures and receipts.
Nothing wrong with old school, its not subject to viruses, or other techno foibles. It does make searching for info a little more cumbersome though.

But I do like the idea of a binder with the campground brochures. thanks
Old 03-13-2018, 10:37 PM   #7

THOR #10498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer3 View Post
I also have a binder full of brochures - with all our favorite sites marked with notes on leveling difficulty, etc. it's useful when making reservations to be able to remember sites that were not as good as others.
And that type of info (better spots, leveling tricks) was precisely why I thought my old log book was so valuable.

Guess I'll be keeping multiple logs (Allstays app and my Evernote) along with the portable hard-drives.

Hummm, wonder if I can convince some young whippersnapper to build an app to integrate with a trip planner?
Old 03-13-2018, 10:38 PM   #8

Brand: Cruiser
Model: Viewfinder VS32RLS
State: Tennessee
THOR #9613
Do a Google search for The Ultimate Campground Log. It's really a good program. It used to have a fee but Jerry I think is his name that wrote it has now put it out for free. He used to be a camper and may still be, but he wrote it for his wife to keep track of their travels. There is a windows and mac version.
sonnyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:40 PM   #9
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyw View Post
Do a Google search for The Ultimate Campground Log. It's really a good program. It used to have a fee but Jerry I think is his name that wrote it has now put it out for free. He used to be a camper and may still be, but he wrote it for his wife to keep track of their travels. There is a windows and mac version.
Here it is:
The Ultimate Campground Log Website
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:49 PM   #10

Model: Axis 24.1
State: New Jersey
THOR #1592
I still use the old pen method to keep a log of all of my travels and info on my Axis.Each trip is recorded in my log book.It also helps that I make custom wood pens and other items on my lathe that nobody uses anymore!
Old 03-14-2018, 01:53 PM   #11

Model: 2017 Vegas 24.1
State: Wisconsin
THOR #3973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funhog View Post
Ok, I searched the forum and couldn't come up with anything related to what I was looking for.

Back when, I had a Camper's Log Book (yes actual pages and a spine and it required a writing instrument rather than a keyboard) and I have been looking for a Trip Planning app or program that combines both my trip plans,and a log that I can enter specifics. For instance, we used to keep track of who was on the trip, who we met, where, how well we liked a specific campground or spot within a campground, what pictures I took along the way. Basically free-form notes along with the same stuff that the current apps track, (cost of fuel, cost of stay, campground location).

Since I filled my first book years ago, I was using Evernote to keep track of those notes, but I was hoping somebody somewhere created an app.

And I am an Android / PC user, so iOS apps don't work for me.

Suggestions, thoughts?
We use an Android app called Journal as our log book. Stores our location, photos and notes about each day.
Old 03-14-2018, 04:25 PM   #12

Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Arizona
THOR #6100
I use RV Notepad and it works OK. I like that you can add pictures to each trip.
Old 03-15-2018, 05:48 AM   #13

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Alabama
THOR #10222
Have you considered a file manager to keep notes and data in, it can be configured to create folders with notes attached inside the folder name the folders by rv camp sights & you can do a search by alphabetical order
Old 03-15-2018, 12:07 PM   #14

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Florida
THOR #9050
Excel spreadsheet
Mods - Safe-T-Steer - Roadmaster Sterling Towbar - Tow Defender - KarGard - Thermopro In/Out T-Stat - SS Kitchen Sink - Garmin RV770 - Propane Tee Grill Adaptor - Custom Center Console - Oxygenics Shower Head - 10" Rear View Safety Monitor - Verizon Hot Spot - Radiator Guard - Sumo Springs - Cylinder Locks
Sprinkler-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 02:52 PM   #15

THOR #10498
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyw View Post
This is just what I was looking for. I will certainly give it a try and report back to the forum.

Thanks for the tip.

As much as technology annoys me, it does prove useful at times. I have been in the IT field for quite a while (started pre-Internet days) and have seen how technology has changed society and not always for the good. For instance, my grandkids constantly have a tablet, cellphone or some other device in their hands as we cruise by some of the most beautiful scenery in the country. Their reaction, "Yeah, I saw a picture of that on You-Tube."
Old 04-04-2018, 07:29 PM   #16

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: New Jersey
THOR #10772
As a soon to be MH owner,( I pick up my Vegas April 25th excited) I've been looking at various ways to log my travels. I downloaded the ultimate campground log onto my laptop. Tried for the iPad but it doesn't work on that.There is a lot of stuff on it and will take time to learn the program. Might start off writing things down in a log book and see then see if I like the program. As others, I am lean more toward old school. On a recent trip to Israel I wrote in a journal book. Would like to see an app for the iPad since I use it more than my laptop.
Old 04-04-2018, 08:44 PM   #17

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
I use google maps. created my own private map, and put a thumbtack on every place that we spend the night in the RV. I get silly and put the tack right on the exact spot, not just at the city level.
Mostly I'm just keeping a running tally of how many nights since we've owned the thing, the date, the name of the place, and sometimes I put a few notes about the site number, what we did that day, or whatever... I have seen others that attach photos to each point also.