Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-12-2013, 03:38 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Crossroads
Model: Zinger ZT26BL
State: North Carolina
THOR #91
It's RV show season!!!

Well it's that time of year again. We will be going to the first show of the season tomorrow. It is the Greensboro NC Progressive RV show. It will probably be primarily camping world at this one but we will go anyways and drool over the new 5ers. We will attend the bigger NCRVDA show in Greensboro in Feb as well. That one will have a lot more dealerships at it.

We were looking to get a new 5er this year but decided to put that on hold since we want to put a deck and a fence up at the new sticks and bricks. That won't stop us from looking though! We just need to remind ourselves that our Zinger is a good trailer, there is nothing wrong with it and it fits our needs. But the new 5ers are so shiny and pretty...

Anybody else attending shows this year?

anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:55 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

State: Wisconsin
THOR #124
Enjoy, and drool all over them.
We don't look very much or often. What with the solar panel, gauges, and all the other gismos and mods I have on our rig, I couldn't bring myself to part with the old girl now.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:00 PM   #3

Brand: Redwood
Model: RW39MB
State: New York
THOR #10
We'll be headed over to the Tampa Super Show next Thursday. Not looking to change rigs, but fun to look and check out the different vendors.
2018 Chevy K3500HD High Country, Crew cab, DRW, D/A pulling a 2016 Redwood RW39MB, full body paint, dual ACs, dual awnings, Residential fridge, fireplace, sleep number bed, auto leveling, auto sat dish, stacked w/d, disk brakes, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde IS and pin box, Comfort Ride Hitch, Onan 5.5K Genny.
Michelle & Ann S.
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:39 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #91
We actually had a nice conversation with the keystone factory reps while we were there. I love the Montana high country but it is out of our price bracket. The cougar wasn't bad and was in the right price bracket but was light on cargo capacity. The palomino Columbus was gorgeous but way out of reach on price and weight for us. Same thing with the heartland landmark.

Got a chance to check out some new cruisers while we were there. Didn't see a single floor plan in them I wanted. The cruiser aire travel trailer construction quality felt about the same level as the zinger. I was disappointed by that because I expected it to be a higher quality.

It is fun to go drool. And it's also fun to listen out for the newbies. You know, the ones with the 1/2 ton trucks looking at 12,000 lb dry weight 5ers and seriously considering them. Messing with the salesmen is fun too. You see their eyes light up when you mention you drive a diesel. Then you watch them get frustrated when you know more about the rigs then they do and you explain to them why a 3/4 ton truck can't handle a 12k dry weight 5er. I know it's cruel but it really is fun and maye one of these days they will actually learn something about weights.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:37 AM   #5

Brand: DRV
Model: 36RSSB3
State: Texas
THOR #88
I don't know what your price range is for a 5th wheel but the Landmark can be bought with pretty much every option including full body paint for around $70k. I know because we are pricing them, DRV Mobile Suites and Tradition and Excel Winslow's. We dropped the Redwood off the list because of what the management team did to Crossroads. Once they are done cutting Crossroads to the bone I figure their next target will be Redwood. Based on what they have done so far it would appear they are heading down the same path they took Carriage.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:05 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #91
The landmark is still above our reach for price and weight. We are looking to stay in the $30-40k range and under 12,500 lbs loaded. This is all do-able with the right 5er but the higher end ones are not in that ballpark.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:11 AM   #7

THOR #88
I would look at the KZ Durango or the Jayco Eagle in that price range. Both companies have been around for 40 + years, 2 year warranties and good customer service.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:24 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #91
None of them were at today's show. Hopefully they will be at the feb show or the march one in Raleigh. I have liked the Durango on-line but haven't been able to get DH interested in it yet. Dh is in love w/ sabres. I like the cougar high country but again can't get DH excited about it. We are not in a hurry and may well wait a yer or two to do this so who knows what will show up on the market in the meantime.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:51 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #5
I went to the RV show in San Antonio, Tx and saw a couple models I liked. One was Crossroads Rushmore Lincoln. It's a front living model but what really sets it apart is the front window. That's right... a windshield!
I own a front living Redwood and has seen several other front living models but never one with a large window for enjoying the view.
I'm thinking about contacting Redwood to see if a retrofit is possible and of so, how much $$$ it would take.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:54 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #91
That is really nice. I love front living rooms but they are out of my weight class. That said I did find a keystone copper canyon lightweight front living at the show last weekend. It was light enough for me to tow w/ my f250 but it just felt really cheap to me. It did give me hope to find one that we can tow.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:19 PM   #11

THOR #88
Research Keystone and some of their frame issues. Maybe they have them worked out by now but I know they were having some with the Laredo line I believe.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:33 PM   #12
Site Team

Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
We love to go to an RV show, but none are held in Mississippi