Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 02:50 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
The Indianapolis CW has a similarly sized flag and I think it is just gorgeous. I love the majestic way it flows in the breeze and that you can see it for miles. They told me it takes four guys to raise and lower it and that they need to be replaced every few months. It must be very expensive and I applaud CW for doing this.

Old 05-23-2019, 03:30 PM   #22

Brand: Still Looking
State: Michigan
THOR #3954
I believe most all the CWs fly a very large flag. It is an identifiable feature, and always makes me proud.

Statesville NC comes off as petty bureaucracy...
Old 05-23-2019, 03:38 PM   #23

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
There's no more beautiful sight while traveling than to round a curve on the interstate and see a business flying such a huge flag...a flag so big...it flows in the breeze rather than waves. It takes your breath for a few seconds...it's expensive to put up and maintain. My first thoughts are wondering who made that call and how wonderful a heart they have. It resets your love for this Country and all who have given so much for what we have. So many Anti-American haters are making their way more an more into our government. Who ever started this with this city needs to be called out by name...their email blasted over social media and people shut their system down with millions of emails...over and over again...in protest. To judge Old Glory's validity by size...none of them are big enough. If you don't like it...come see us..."way out here". We'll change your mind...or eliminate it!!

I agree Gritz. I would love to see CampyWorld say “OK, we are taking down the flag ... and, by the way, we are closing up this CW and moving to an American city and taking our tax doll with us.”
Old 05-23-2019, 03:38 PM   #24

Model: Chateau 35SF
THOR #2020
Camping World - American Flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrapped View Post
I hope they start flying the same size flag at ALL of there stores!!

They do. I believe they are a Garrison flag which is 20 ft by 38 feet.
Old 05-23-2019, 04:05 PM   #25

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Well...RVers are a huge group and for the most part, an accomplished group, with disposable income to spend on local economies as we travel. Spread the word throughout all of your social media and other forums you tend, to ban this city.

The Mayor and City Manager:
Mayor Costi Kutteh
ckutteh@statesvillenc.net

City Manager Ron Smith
rsmith@statesvillenc.net

Send them a short email stating your opinions and your plan to ban this city if they don't discontinue their attack on CW and our Flag.

Copy & Paste:

"It has come to my attention, the attack you have implemented on Camping World for the size of the United States Flag they fly in honor of this Free Nation and all who have gravely sacrificed their lives for our Freedom. Camping World represents the largest retailer of RV's in this Nation. Most all of their locations fly this same size Flag and it's become a landmark for those who travel and a great tribute to our Country. We The People demand you discontinue your attack on our Nation immediately and "Let Freedom Reign". As you read this, know there are 10's of thousands of citizens in this Country speaking out against your actions with plans to ban any and all future business with your City. You have no right to exploit your elected position for the purpose of promoting your personal Anti-American agenda."
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
Old 05-23-2019, 04:17 PM   #26

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #10254
Change,Org Petition link

Here's the link to the petition on Change.Org

https://www.change.org/p/city-of-sta...-american-flag

I signed it. I'll be emailing the Mayor & City Manager momentarily.
Old 05-23-2019, 04:41 PM   #27
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Well...RVers are a huge group and for the most part, an accomplished group, with disposable income to spend on local economies as we travel. Spread the word throughout all of your social media and other forums you tend, to ban this city.

Mayor Costi Kutteh

City Manager Ron Smith
rsmith@statesvillenc.net

Send them a short email stating your opinions and your plan to ban this city if they don't discontinue their attack on CW and our Flag.

Copy & Paste:

"It has come to my attention, the attack you have implemented on Camping World for the size of the United States Flag they fly in honor of this Free Nation and all who have gravely sacrificed their lives for our Freedom. Camping World represents the largest retailer of RV's in this Nation. Most all of their locations fly this same size Flag and it's become a landmark for those who travel and a great tribute to our Country. We The People demand you discontinue your attack on our Nation immediately and "Let Freedom Reign". As you read this, know there are 10's of thousands of citizens in this Country speaking out against your actions with plans to ban any and all future business with your City. You have no right to exploit your elected position for the purpose of promoting your personal Anti-American agenda."

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1558629692
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tanks A Bunch.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	180.3 KB
ID:	17591  
Old 05-23-2019, 04:46 PM   #28

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Its a 3200 SQ ft flag vs 1000 SQ ft flag:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...it/3770626002/
Thanks for posting information.

I have many conflicting thoughts on this, but it comes down to being extremely proud if they are flying the flag to promote patriotism, to being offended if they are primarily doing it for the almighty dollar.

To me it makes a difference, although I know some don’t care about their reason as long as they keep doing it. I just don’t like being played by slick salesmen that know which buttons to push.
Old 05-23-2019, 05:06 PM   #29
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstandiford View Post
I agree Gritz. I would love to see CampyWorld say “OK, we are taking down the flag ... and, by the way, we are closing up this CW and moving to an American city and taking our tax doll with us.”
I know of a motorcycle dealership that was a major employer in a small Town in Pennsylvania.
(I bought several bikes, and a trailer from them..)
They had a proposed major expansion in the works, and some local activists decided to throw a wrench into the works...
They claimed that the expansion would cover up an old Native American burial ground.
(This is disputed, and is not considered to be accurate...)
The owner of the shop said, "Fine: we'll take our Dealership and the 300 jobs that go with it, and move to the next Town..."

It's amazing how quickly the "activists were shut up, and sat down...
Old 05-23-2019, 05:11 PM   #30

THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Thanks for posting information.

I have many conflicting thoughts on this, but it comes down to being extremely proud if they are flying the flag to promote patriotism, to being offended if they are primarily doing it for the almighty dollar.

To me it makes a difference, although I know some don’t care about their reason as long as they keep doing it. I just don’t like being played by slick salesmen that know which buttons to push.

This isn't about Camping World one bit...it's about Liberal, Left Wing attacks on the United States Flag...one of the few symbols we have left that represent our Freedom and honor the lives of those who fought before us. I would feel the same way if it were being flown over Nancy Pelosi's house.
Old 05-23-2019, 05:24 PM   #31

Model: Vegas 25.2
THOR #4687
Here in Springfield, MO, coming into town on interstate 44, you have at least six HUGE American flags, so the Camping World flag here looks right at home.

Always thought it was kind of an honor to see them all flying...
Old 05-23-2019, 05:30 PM   #32
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
This isn't about Camping World one bit...it's about Liberal, Left Wing attacks on the United States Flag...one of the few symbols we have left that represent our Freedom and honor the lives of those who fought before us. I would feel the same way if it were being flown over Nancy Pelosi's house.
Good point, and I agree...
Old 05-23-2019, 05:51 PM   #33
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:

Mayor Costi Kutteh

City Manager Ron Smith
rsmith@statesvillenc.net

Copy & Paste:

Except they are not attacking CW (or actually Gander RV in this case), they are attacking the American Flag by creating ordinances that restrict the size of it. Whoever thought that placing any restrictions on flying the American flag was a good idea? That's where this started and I agree with Marcus 100% - He might have to die, he might have to pay taxes, but he doesn't have to take down his American flag!
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
Old 05-23-2019, 06:23 PM   #34

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
.....cut..... I would feel the same way if it were being flown over Nancy Pelosi's house.
Now that’s funny.

This could be seen as liberal versus conservative points of view, but can just as easily be seen as law and order, and that rules are there for a reason and should apply to everyone equally.

I like the CW flag but also want them to follow the law.

P.S. — Its also funny that the Camping World CEO was brutally criticized in this forum for something he didn’t actually say, and now is being defended for not following the rules. What I don’t want to do is question his patriotism just because he wasn’t born in US.
Old 05-23-2019, 07:12 PM   #35
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I agree that silly laws should not be ignored...

They should simply be changed!

Sometimes it takes just one person taking a stand: in order to get the process started.
Old 05-23-2019, 07:40 PM   #36

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
Quote:
Would you please expand on just where you think limiting the size of the U.S. Flag would be appropriate? Of course, we're talking "flying" the Flag.

Ok....
Do you have one of identical size flying in your front yard?

I never said or meant that this camping world example was such a place (where it is inappropriate).... it might be entirely appropriate there. It seems to be perfectly ok at the CW near me....out by I-95. I don't know the situation at this other place.

All I'm saying is it is theoretically possible that it might not be such a place.

Apparently someone in the town thought so, though...enough for a bunch of people to ok the ordinance.
Don't be so quick to jump to a conclusion about other people, their patriotism, or their intentions.
It might very well be that they are Leftists.
but it's equally as possible that this whole thing is coming from many different other aspects...
and it's equally possible that this is just a situation where an ordinance was written about something else...entirely different, and they just failed to foresee this other situation that they might be totally ok with.

Unintended consequences.
Old 05-23-2019, 07:42 PM   #37

THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Except they are not attacking CW (or actually Gander RV in this case), they are attacking the American Flag by creating ordinances that restrict the size of it. Whoever thought that placing any restrictions on flying the American flag was a good idea? That's where this started and I agree with Marcus 100% - He might have to die, he might have to pay taxes, but he doesn't have to take down his American flag!

Ok then...let's petition your next door neighbor to install one, equally as big, as close to your bedroom window as they can get it.
Can you imagine the noise on a windy night?
Old 05-23-2019, 07:43 PM   #38

THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Now that’s funny.

This could be seen as liberal versus conservative points of view, but can just as easily be seen as law and order, and that rules are there for a reason and should apply to everyone equally.

I like the CW flag but also want them to follow the law.

P.S. — Its also funny that the Camping World CEO was brutally criticized in this forum for something he didn’t actually say, and now is being defended for not following the rules. What I don’t want to do is question his patriotism just because he wasn’t born in US.

Where was the CW CEO "brutally criticized" in this forum??? I must have missed that.
Old 05-23-2019, 07:46 PM   #39

THOR #908
Quote:
well...that's one conclusion to jump to...and if you're correct I'll stand right there next to you in opposition of it.

Isn't it possible though, that this ordinance was written and intended about something else entirely? To limit the size of neon billboard signs that can be installed in residential areas, as an example?
Old 05-23-2019, 08:22 PM   #40

Model: Fourwinds 24F
State: North Carolina
THOR #9511
No one can be denied flying the flag of the United States of America. And NC has a statute to this effect that is cited in every HOA documentation. However, there are multiple Executive Orders dating back to 1959 that help define the appropriate size flag to be flown on a flag pole. The general rule is the length of the flag should be 1/4 the pole height - a 40 foot pole should have a flag that is 10 feet long.

The vets in my community, of which I am one, help homeowners and business’ with the appropriate flag size. It is one thing being patriotic and flying the US flag, it is another thing being respectful of the flag being flown.