Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2017, 01:35 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #1225
Angry Camping World and BAD SERVICE

Has anyone else experienced very bad service from Camping World's Service department? Are we allowed to discuss this here? Would love to know if this was just my bad luck or if their bad service is wide spread?

Old 03-10-2017, 01:44 PM   #2

State: Arkansas
THOR #6519
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Elf View Post
Has anyone else experienced very bad service from Camping World's Service department? Are we allowed to discuss this here? Would love to know if this was just my bad luck or if their bad service is wide spread?

Very widespread... most rv owners who have owned for awhile steer clear like the plague.
Old 03-10-2017, 02:07 PM   #3

THOR #1225
Okay, we definitely learned our lesson. Not only was the 6 month time frame for getting our warranty work done outrageous but the work was shoddy and not complete. I wish I had checked online comments and reviews before we trusted them. It's clear that Camping World only wants your money when you buy the RV then they could care less about you as a customer.
Old 03-10-2017, 03:30 PM   #4
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
The experience at Camping World service seems to vary greatly by location... Some are good - others are not. Seeking advice for particular locations may give different responses.

Unfortunately the time needed for getting warranty work done (and repair lead time in general) for RVs is typically longer than I would like.
Warranty work can be much longer if you didn't buy the RV from that dealer...

Certainly should expect work quality to be there - that does seem to be all over the map based on location.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 03:43 PM   #5

THOR #1225
Beware of Camping World in Oakwood, GA AND Woodstock, GA. We bought the unit at Oakwood and had very incompetent "technicians" do some warranty work. We then went to Woodstock which was closer to our home and that's where our unit sat on their lot for 6 months waiting for the unfinished and shabby work done by Oakwood to be finished. They never did do the work before we got fed up and retrieved the RV. Hence my comment that they only want your money, after that they don't care about you as a customer anymore.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:06 PM   #6

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Nevada
THOR #5050
Have to say that CW here in Las Vegas must be better than some. Granted, warranty work for us has taken long at times to get parts, but they have never had the coach for more than a week, and usually just a few days. Can't complain about the workmanship. This service dept. is extremely busy most of the time and appointments are usually a good month or two out to schedule any type of service. We bought our coach here and keep in touch with our salesman and also have gotten to know the service manager and general manager. That may help some but we don't feel that we get any preferential treatment! Overall, given some comments I have read from other CW locations we can't really complain that much about this one. Sorry to hear others have such bad experiences. Guess we're lucky?
Old 03-10-2017, 05:53 PM   #7

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
I don't think that all the CW Service Centers are bad. Search for the one you are near at RV Service Reviews. It helps us all if we all contribute to the site.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:08 PM   #8

THOR #1225
Sorry, I've had enough experience with the two locations near me that I'll never go back. Using other Thor approved RV centers now.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:17 PM   #9

Model: 25.2 axis
State: South Carolina
THOR #3992
Camping World in bad service

The service at Camp world most very greatly The one in Spartanburg South Carolina is above and beyond What I've read About I've had mine service there for warranty work several times been top-notch along with the people
Old 03-10-2017, 07:38 PM   #10
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Our GO TO RV center is CW Grain Valley, MO .. east of K.C. .. we have done business with them for over 15 years, before CW bought the location. We have had great service and competent help in sales and service.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 07:51 PM   #11

THOR #4735
we've had good quick service from several(Byron,Ga for example), and had a somewhat negative experience at one in TN. The rear BR slide would not extend and the tech told us that he would have to drill a hole through the outside slide facia to get to the motor release, and then be able to manually push out the slide. Knowing A little bit about the slide systems, I called Thor service center while I was standing there and was told that definitely it was not the only way to manually push out the slide to get to the motor to be replaced. I eventually replaced the motor myself, and no drilling was required!
i'm not sure what type of RV school that these techs go to, but it seems to me as they know sometimes less than we do.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 11:12 PM   #12

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Indiana
THOR #6414
We've had outstanding service on a variety of RVs since 1995. Good service usually goes unnoticed. My brother just recently had great service from CW in Missouri. Our last service was in Golden Colorado.
Old 03-11-2017, 02:46 PM   #13

THOR #1225
Based on the feedback I'm seeing here, I'm beginning to think the "bad" Camping World locations are the ones here in Georgia owned by Mr. Lemonis.
Old 03-11-2017, 04:33 PM   #14

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #1123
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Elf View Post
Based on the feedback I'm seeing here, I'm beginning to think the "bad" Camping World locations are the ones here in Georgia owned by Mr. Lemonis.
You might be right. Took mine to the one in Byron, GA a couple of years ago and it was there much longer than was promised and wouldn't return phone calls very well. Work performed under warranty was so so but won't go back. Charged ~ $50. just to check engine and generator oil and tried to add a disposal fee which I refused to pay.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:43 PM   #15

Model: Axis 25.3
State: California
THOR #2526
They are coast to coast so they are large. It's the odds of bad service...same percentage as other shops but 10% is a big number due to their volume.
Baddad53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 05:59 AM   #16

Model: XG 32 Omni
State: Missouri
THOR #4243
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
Our GO TO RV center is CW Grain Valley, MO .. east of K.C. .. we have done business with them for over 15 years, before CW bought the location. We have had great service and competent help in sales and service.
They have been pretty good to us also. Purchased a new 31L Chateau last july, took it in for some warranty work in October, they turned it around in 4 days.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:24 AM   #17

Brand: Still Looking
State: Missouri
THOR #5437
I would have to say that the CW in Cedar Falls Iowa is on the good list. I have had mine unit in a couple of times and the neccessary work has been done to my liking. Yes it takes time and yes it seems for ever but I still give them an A rating.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:58 AM   #18

THOR #1225
I really think it has to do with whomever owns the particular location. Oakwood, GA messed up our leveling system and refused to let the factory rep come show them how to install it. It only got fixed when the Equalizer Rep came to our house and fixed the problem in 40 minutes in our driveway. Because of that experience, we went to the Woodstock CW to have our warranty work done. BIG MISTAKE.....6 months later the work was not finished, we had damage to our unit while on THEIR lot and the work that was completed was very shoddy. That's when I discovered that both these locations are owned by the same man......Mr. Lemonis. Any pleas for help went unanswered.
Old 03-17-2017, 03:01 PM   #19

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
This is Bullpoop!

Seems to me that spending $50,000-$75,000-$100,00-$150,000 and more for an RV should buy you something in your warranty other than back row second and third class work done too shabby and too late. Do you know why this dosent happen often at dealers doing warranty work in the new car market? Because shabby dealers get their franchises pulled by the manufacturer! This Bullpoop warranty work problem is really Thor Mfg's problem. They need to step up and start ending franchises that can't meet average standards for customer satisfaction. I mean come on guys. Do we continue to patronize bad restaurants or find a new one? Do we buy the same brand of light bulbs when the last two from that company burned out in half the published time? No we don't. We adapt by moving on to something new or different. Perhaps Thor should take the next step and be more particular about who is ALLOWED to sell their products.
Old 03-17-2017, 04:01 PM   #20

THOR #1225
Quote:
Originally Posted by doglovers View Post
seems to me that spending $50,000-$75,000-$100,00-$150,000 and more for an rv should buy you something in your warranty other than back row second and third class work done too shabby and too late. Do you know why this dosent happen often at dealers doing warranty work in the new car market? Because shabby dealers get their franchises pulled by the manufacturer! This bullpoop warranty work problem is really thor mfg's problem. They need to step up and start ending franchises that can't meet average standards for customer satisfaction. I mean come on guys. Do we continue to patronize bad restaurants or find a new one? Do we buy the same brand of light bulbs when the last two from that company burned out in half the published time? No we don't. We adapt by moving on to something new or different. Perhaps thor should take the next step and be more particular about who is allowed to sell their products.
Very well said! I agree 100%