Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-02-2015, 08:42 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 27K
State: California
THOR #1226
Can't close hood on 2115 Hurricane

Checked the engine fluids, had a hard time opening the hood. Used WD40 on all the friction points. Now I can't get it closed. Pushing on the arms attached to the hood, I got it 1/2 way closed.

Any suggestions?

2015 Hurricane 27K
2013 Redhawk
1988 Pace Arrow
fivejackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 09:36 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane
State: Michigan
THOR #1766
My 30Q Hurricane is a bit older- 2007, so it may be different than your new one. The two latches are keyed with a cylinder-type key which raises and rotates a tang which locks the hood down on the front cowl. The height of the tang can be adjusted by two nuts above and below the tang itself. The lock assembly itself is held in place by a large nut that tends to vibrate loose unless treated with locktite The large nut needs a large crescent wrench or an open end 1 3/8 wrench. The key is to make sure the assembly is firmly tightened down, and then adjust the two locking nuts to orient the tang properly so that it grabs the cowl at the proper height and pulls the hood shut. When I bought my unit the right assembly had vibrated loose. Apparently the owner didn't have a wrench large enough to tighten it, so they finger-tightened it and loosened the tang adjusting nuts so that the right side of the hood was raised off the cowl a good 1/4 inch. Every time I walked in front of the motorhome I noticed that the right side of the hood had vibrated loose. With a bit of locktite and a few minutes fiddling with the adjusting nuts, I haven't had a problem since.
Old 04-02-2015, 10:32 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 34E
THOR #937
I have a 2014 Hurricane 34e. I have noticed that it's getting slightly easier to open and close the hood. I'm not completely sure if it is really easier, or if I'm just becoming familiar with the process. It's only been open about five times, (I wanted to test the latches, and check fluids before trips). The last time was to actually change the oil for the first time.

It was a very stiff and difficult to open and close the first few times. I almost thought that I was going to break the fiberglass. I think it has to do with the very strong pneumatic assists rods used, and the weird geometry design used for the hinge linkage.

You kind of have to push in while you simultaneously pull down. I have found the spots to push, (where the hinges are attached to the fiberglass), without having to worry that something is going to break.
Old 04-03-2015, 12:21 AM   #4

Model: Miramar 34.2
State: New York
THOR #1169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacher View Post
I think it has to do with the very strong pneumatic assists rods used, and the weird geometry design used for the hinge linkage.

I agree!!!
Old 04-03-2015, 01:33 AM   #5

THOR #1226
I called Thor's 24 hour service. He said not to be afraid of breaking something. Just pull it down and push it in to lock. I pulled it down and locked it. That took way too much work to open and close it. If I didn't way 200 lbs. I would be doing chin-ups on the hood.
This really is a bad design for a hood release. Those pneumatic rods are too strong.
Thanks for all you input.

2015 Hurricane 27K
2013 Redhawk
1988 Pace Arrow
Old 04-03-2015, 08:06 AM   #6

Model: Challenger/37ND
State: Texas
THOR #1706
Quote:
Originally Posted by fivejackie View Post
I called Thor's 24 hour service. He said not to be afraid of breaking something. Just pull it down and push it in to lock. I pulled it down and locked it. That took way too much work to open and close it. If I didn't way 200 lbs. I would be doing chin-ups on the hood.
This really is a bad design for a hood release. Those pneumatic rods are too strong.
Thanks for all you input.

You're correct it is a real buggar closing. Just make sure you locked both locks properly or it will open on you while driving. You wont notice it until you stop lol. yep
2015 Thor Challenger 37ND
mikensallyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 09:29 PM   #7

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Missouri
THOR #4446
We are having the opposite issue. Can't get the hood open. Right side won't engage up. The nuts are loose, tried to tighten still didn't work. The left side is working fine. Any suggestions on how to get this to work ?
Old 06-04-2016, 10:31 PM   #8

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Don't have a Hurricane but when the dealer did the PDI on my Vegas when I bought it last Aug year the hood seemed pretty stiff to open. The hood on the Vegas comes straight out slightly and then swings down. The dealer lubed the hinge and the hood "seemed" OK.

This past Nov I was down at the storage lot doing s few things on the Vegas and decided to check the engine oil. The hood was stiff to open and I noticed one of the long rivets the holds the hood on the hinge was sheared. I took the RV in for a warranty repair on the rivet and the dealer decided the hood was way too stiff. They contacted Thor and decided to replace the entire hinge assembly under warranty.

The hood now can be opened with one hand. If your Hurricane is still under warranty you might want them to check the hinge because in my case the operation was like night in day between the original and the replacement hinge.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 05:19 AM   #9

THOR #1226
I had the same problem with the hood. I couldn't open it and then and couldn't close it. I finally with a lot of effort got it open. I sprayed all the hinge points with WD-40. Now when I open the locks it flies open and is easy to close and lock.

This is what worked for me.

2015 Hurricane 27K
2013 Redhawk
1988 Pace Arrow