Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-15-2015, 11:58 AM   #1
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Be careful driving out there

Disaster can be around any corner, or even a straightaway:
See video of motorhome crash that blocked I-10 between Baton Rouge and New Orleans | NOLA.com
(If you cringe at RV crashes don't watch the video.)

Perhaps someone didn't study up on what to do when a blowout happens:

Then again, since it is a Thor Tuscany, perhaps that Thor quality caused something serious to go wrong...!

At least no one was seriously injured.

JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 01:03 PM   #2

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
That sucked! I just installed a Saf-T-Plus for that reason. Don't know if that will help and don't want to find out. Geed training video.
Old 05-15-2015, 03:42 PM   #3

Model: 2014 Hurricane 34f
State: Arkansas
THOR #1845
Valuable info ! Thanks !
Happy RVing !!
Donnie & Becky
Old 05-15-2015, 03:58 PM   #4

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
Thanks for posting this Jamie. Good to know.
Old 05-16-2015, 11:57 AM   #5
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Thanks for the post very useful.

Two things that jump out and that have been discussed on the various threads that could get folks into trouble.

One - those that like to travel at the maximum speed of their rigs and have discussed having the speed limiter kick in. This leaves no room for correction if required and discussed in the Michelin video.

Two - those that have reduced their tire pressure to the lower limit to increase the enjoyment of the ride. As discussed in the video two major causes of rapid deflation are tire failure and under inflation. One only has to think back to the Ford and Firestone fiasco with the Explorer under inflation of the tires and how many folks were killed or injured in a roll over when the tires blew out due to under inflation for a "smoother ride".

May you be safe and happy in your travels.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 02:43 AM   #6

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: Texas
THOR #1599
Great video...my 15 Hurricane and it's goodyear tires are rated at 75 MPH....scares the heck out of me when I am cruising in the right lane at 65, and another MH with TOAD passes me at 80+ unbelievable! That is a great video on tire failure control, and I'm getting ready to have a SafeTplus installed soon.
Old 05-26-2015, 11:30 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
Suppose a loose screw bouncing around in the coach found its way into the tire?

But, if you are passing a Semi, you are probably going too fast.

I don't know if it would have made any difference in this situation, but this is also why I have a TPMS system. My aftermarket TPMS system has an alarm that warns of a dangerous overtemp, overpressure, underpressure, or rapid deflation situation.

Monitoring the system will allow you to see if your driving or inflation habits are impacting your safety before something happens - if you pay attention to it.

While these alarms may not prevent an accident, it might give you the chance to anticipate a blow out and get your speed down. Afterall, you have to figure that a blowout at 45mph is going to be a lot less traumatic than one at 75mph.
Old 07-16-2021, 12:30 AM   #8

State: South Carolina
THOR #22342
I went around the RV and checked pressure today. The left inbd tire was zero pressure. I had no indication the tire was flat, and there was no visual indication. I just purchased a TMPS system for the RV. I refilled tire and sprayed soapy water all over tire, valves, etc. Nothing showing a puncture or nail.

Is there a reason for this tire pressure loss? Could i have driven over something that impacted rim? I have no invested in a good tire inflation compressor, portable RV tire electric pump, a spare can of tire fill
Old 07-16-2021, 12:50 AM   #9
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
That taught me a couple of things...
Old 07-16-2021, 01:01 AM   #10
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by txc2936@yahoo.com View Post
I went around the RV and checked pressure today. The left inbd tire was zero pressure. I had no indication the tire was flat, and there was no visual indication. I just purchased a TMPS system for the RV. I refilled tire and sprayed soapy water all over tire, valves, etc. Nothing showing a puncture or nail.

Is there a reason for this tire pressure loss? Could i have driven over something that impacted rim? I have no invested in a good tire inflation compressor, portable RV tire electric pump, a spare can of tire fill
Once upon a time I had a screw in a tire and it would not leak. unless you were parked directly over the screw. The tire shop removed the tire from the wheel before they were able to see the screw. Lesson learned is soap and water and dunk tanks don't always work to find a leak.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 01:44 AM   #11
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Also check your valve extenders (assuming you have them for the inside tires) - known trouble slow leakers.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 01:56 AM   #12

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Disaster can be around any corner, or even a straightaway:
See video of motorhome crash that blocked I-10 between Baton Rouge and New Orleans | NOLA.com
(If you cringe at RV crashes don't watch the video.)

Perhaps someone didn't study up on what to do when a blowout happens:

Then again, since it is a Thor Tuscany, perhaps that Thor quality caused something serious to go wrong...!

At least no one was seriously injured.
As the video stated usually owner error. Nothing to do with manufacture. Thor or any other manufacture would have nothing to do with a blow out other than not having a TPMS but that would be part of the chassis (Frieghtliner)
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 03:18 AM   #13

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
I have the Tyron bands installed on the four outside wheels in the event of a blow out. The bands will help to keep the rubber tire on the wheel by blocking the tire from rolling off of the rim. I always carry my Tyron tire tool kit in the event I have to have a tire replaced and the shop doesn't the equipment to remove the bad tire from the rim. A lot of the commercial trucking companies have them installed on the big rigs.

Paul
Old 07-16-2021, 02:52 PM   #14

Model: Four Winds 28A
THOR #21941
Another lesson learned, thanks to this forum!

Watchdog hardwired EMS, Alignment, Roadmaster front sway bar, vent covers, Dew Gutter
waynetaylor55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 03:34 PM   #15

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
Side note... Stepping on the gas immediately after a blow out is the same science behind stepping on the gas when a big rig passes you. Helps counteract the side push by increasing rear push... For what it's worth.
Old 07-16-2021, 04:00 PM   #16
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I agree... even though it seems absolutely counter-intuitive: it works!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 04:05 PM   #17

State: Florida
THOR #24089
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwadley View Post
I have the Tyron bands installed on the four outside wheels in the event of a blow out. The bands will help to keep the rubber tire on the wheel by blocking the tire from rolling off of the rim. I always carry my Tyron tire tool kit in the event I have to have a tire replaced and the shop doesn't the equipment to remove the bad tire from the rim. A lot of the commercial trucking companies have them installed on the big rigs.

Paul
I just had mine taken off. Took the Goodyear commercial guys forever to remove them when they installed my 6 new commercial rated tires. The stock Hankook Dynapros were way too soft "overloaded" up front. Both Goodyear mobile repair truck drivers looked at me and said "You're _____ if you think we can change these out on the side of the road".
Old 07-16-2021, 04:35 PM   #18

Model: Quantum JM31
State: Tennessee
THOR #21926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miramar Owner View Post
Side note... Stepping on the gas immediately after a blow out is the same science behind stepping on the gas when a big rig passes you. Helps counteract the side push by increasing rear push... For what it's worth.
The reason you accelerate is because it helps keep weight off the blown tire and gives you time to regain control. If you apply brakes the weight of the coach will shift forward and make control very difficult with the blown tire. Once the tire comes off the rim it usually jams inside the wheel well making it near impossible to steer the motorhome. That is where the Tyron bands come in because they keep the tire on the rim. Even through the tire is flat things are better if it stays on the rim.
Bob Nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 04:39 PM   #19

Model: Quantum JM31
State: Tennessee
THOR #21926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axis25.2 View Post
I just had mine taken off. Took the Goodyear commercial guys forever to remove them when they installed my 6 new commercial rated tires. The stock Hankook Dynapros were way too soft "overloaded" up front. Both Goodyear mobile repair truck drivers looked at me and said "You're _____ if you think we can change these out on the side of the road".
The Tyron bands can be removed and replaced on the side of the road if you have the kit. Most tire technicians don't even know what Tyron bands are let alone how to remove them. Even if they did they don't want to take the extra time. You as the owner need to know how to use the tool.
Bob Nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 05:21 PM   #20

Model: Four Winds 28A
THOR #21941
Wouldn't it be better to have a spare tire and wheel? Then the carcass can be dealt with at the tire shop.

Watchdog hardwired EMS, Alignment, Roadmaster front sway bar, vent covers, Dew Gutter
waynetaylor55 is offline   Reply With Quote