Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-10-2017, 04:06 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Axis
State: Mississippi
THOR #6203
caulking shower pan

I just got back from a 4 night trip and after showering I found water leaking into the hallway on my Axis 25.2.
When I removed the access panel in the bath, I found that the p- trap was not properly tightened. After tightening it, I poured water into the shower and didn't see any more leaks.
While inspecting the shower for other potential leak sources, I did notice that there is no caulking at the bottom of the shower where the wall surround connects to the shower pan.
Should this be caulked or is it designed to prevent water from entering this seam?
Thanks

Old 07-10-2017, 04:30 PM   #2

State: California
THOR #6375
Quote:
Originally Posted by sforl View Post
I just got back from a 4 night trip and after showering I found water leaking into the hallway on my Axis 25.2.

When I removed the access panel in the bath, I found that the p- trap was not properly tightened. After tightening it, I poured water into the shower and didn't see any more leaks.

While inspecting the shower for other potential leak sources, I did notice that there is no caulking at the bottom of the shower where the wall surround connects to the shower pan.

Should this be caulked or is it designed to prevent water from entering this seam?

Thanks

I am having the same issue in my new thor Gemini can I ask how you got into the access panel?
I appreciate it and thanks for the help.
Scott
Old 07-10-2017, 05:28 PM   #3

THOR #6203
In the Axis there is a small panel in the bathroom that allows you access (limited) to the plumbing beneath the shower pan.
I'm not familiar with the Gemini so can't be of much help. Sorry!
Old 07-10-2017, 05:36 PM   #4

State: North Carolina
THOR #3952
The pan has a lip and it is not recommended to caulk the joint.
You will need caulk on he bottom frame of the shower door.
Old 07-10-2017, 05:37 PM   #5

State: Alaska
THOR #7980
I removed the entire shower doors and frame and it was not caulked, particularly where the rail meets the stile. I don't like silicone for this so I bought marine sealant 5200 and bedded the rail in 5200 and filled the rail ends where they joint the stile.
Old 07-10-2017, 05:50 PM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghof View Post
I removed the entire shower doors and frame and it was not caulked, particularly where the rail meets the stile. I don't like silicone for this so I bought marine sealant 5200 and bedded the rail in 5200 and filled the rail ends where they joint the stile.
5200 is great stuff, but it is not just caulk or sealant, it is adhesive and it is permanent. You will need dynamite to get it apart.
Old 07-10-2017, 05:51 PM   #7

THOR #3952
5200 is a great product but if you ever have to remove anything it is made for pretty much permanent installation. 4200 would be a better fit. We build and rig boats so we use a lot of each.
Old 07-10-2017, 05:58 PM   #8

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
they sell this stuff, "debond" at places like West Marine, I understand will remove 5200. I have no experience with it though...... probably like removing silicone..... it'll still take a lot of work!
Old 07-10-2017, 05:59 PM   #9

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
but good call in my opinion to not use silicone caulk. That stuff is good for nuthin'!
Old 07-10-2017, 06:09 PM   #10

THOR #7980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittntherooad View Post
5200 is a great product but if you ever have to remove anything it is made for pretty much permanent installation. 4200 would be a better fit. We build and rig boats so we use a lot of each.
Yes I know! I have removed it, what a pain! I have done a lot on boats, your correct 4200 would be better but I had some 5200.
Old 07-10-2017, 06:40 PM   #11

THOR #6203
My coach does not have a shower door! It has a shower curtain.
Another concern I have about that area I entioned in my OP, is that there is a lot of dirt and grit coming into the shower from that seam! If dirt can get in then water can enter that space!
Why is I not recommended to caulk that seam?
Old 07-10-2017, 06:57 PM   #12

THOR #7980
Quote:
Thanks
The joint where the sides meet the pan SHOULD NOT NORMALLY need to be caulked, but, on mine the water simply sits on the pan and ran out the joint under the door surround. You have a curtain but the result is the same. You have to make the water stay in the pan, you may have to install a lip along the front of the pan, a weather strip so to speak.
Old 07-10-2017, 06:59 PM   #13

THOR #3952
Quote:
My coach does not have a shower door! It has a shower curtain.
Another concern I have about that area I entioned in my OP, is that there is a lot of dirt and grit coming into the shower from that seam! If dirt can get in then water can enter that space!
Why is I not recommended to caulk that seam?
Only what I have read is that it can hold moisture and cause mold and mildew. I guess if you caulk it and water can't get in it wouldn't be a problem.
Old 07-10-2017, 07:11 PM   #14

THOR #6203
ghof in my case the water is not spilling over the the front of the shower where the curtain is! That area was dry. The water seems to be getting in somewhere other than there!
I don't want to do anything to cause mold and mildew to set in but I also don't want to risk getting water damage. Catch 22!
Old 07-10-2017, 07:13 PM   #15

THOR #7980
Ok, I guess I'm out of ideas sorry
Old 07-10-2017, 07:38 PM   #16

Model: ACE 27.1
State: California
THOR #3186
It should not be caulked by engineering design. Calk it and learn about dry rot and mold.
Old 07-10-2017, 09:23 PM   #17

THOR #7980
Quote:
ghof in my case the water is not spilling over the the front of the shower where the curtain is! That area was dry. The water seems to be getting in somewhere other than there!
I don't want to do anything to cause mold and mildew to set in but I also don't want to risk getting water damage. Catch 22!
You might try pool dye (think Halloween ) in a spray bottle and flood each area you think might be causing the leak.
2. Make sure the floor of the pan is not flexing at the drain.
3. The drain fitting itself may have cracked. Test with someone in the shower.
4. Dam up the joint where the side panels meet the pan at the front edge with plumbers putty. Test with colored water.
Old 07-10-2017, 09:25 PM   #18

State: Arizona
THOR #7430
I asked the same question when I picked up my for Chateau. Saw the big gap between the shower wall and the pan and ask why they didn't cock it and the guy said oh it won't leak. I'm still going to caulk it. Water doesn't need a reason to get in a crack if it's there it'll go!
Old 07-10-2017, 09:33 PM   #19

State: Arizona
THOR #7430
This is a large gap between the shower wall and the shower pan. Surely the water will run down the wall and under the pan.
Old 07-10-2017, 09:34 PM   #20

THOR #7980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Grump View Post
It should not be caulked by engineering design. Calk it and learn about dry rot and mold.
[emoji6] if the engineers had done a proper job we would not be having this issue