Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-11-2016, 12:51 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo 33.4
State: New Mexico
THOR #3722
Caution and a warning, 2016 Palazzo 33.4

I’m generally not one to do this, but I feel this situation was beyond what should be acceptable behavior by any company producing items for sale and use by the public. So, I’ll make this as short and succinct as I can. On February 19, 2016, my wife, Nadine and I took ownership of a brand new Thor Palazzo motorhome. We purchased it because we felt we needed an RV that was a bit larger than the one we had, and this one had a very nice floor plan and amenities. It was also built on a very good chassis, and based on the test drive, was easy to handle by Nadine and I. Just under a week later, we left on an approximately 2 month trip in the RV. Less than a week into our trip, we began to experience issues with the RV, all related to the quality of workmanship of the actual coach. In all, we’ve ended up with over 25 items. Now, many of them were minor in nature; two were a bit more serious – a water leak that could have undermined the structural integrity of the RV, and some wiring and tubing that were poorly designed so that they were easily caught up in the slide as it retracted and expanded, with normal use. This last issue resulted in the TV on the outside of the RV being unable to use, as one of the wires cut dealt with the TV. However, all of these issues pale in comparison to what happened to us on April 5, 2016. As we were driving on I77 N in South Carolina, on a divided highway at about 65 mph (within the posted speed limit), with no warning, the overhead cabinet directly over our heads came crashing down on us. It hit me on the arm and hand and Nadine on the head and shoulder. Although we were not seriously injured, we very easily could have been killed as the cabinet blocked our vision of the road (please see the attached photos). I managed to sort of look out the side window and use the center lane marking to make sure we stayed on the road, then put my head down so that I could see well enough to get us off on the shoulder of the road. If I hadn’t been able to do that, we very likely would have gone off the road. As you all know, these RV’s are not meant for that type of activity, and most likely would have rolled. Since the front part of the coach is completely surrounded by glass, we would have been cut badly and again, potentially killed, as they are also certainly not built with any roll cage to protect the driver and passenger(s). When this was brought to Thor’s attention, we first had to semi-argue with them to get them to address all the warranty items when we drove to their location in Elkhart, IN. When they finally agreed to address all the items, we were there for 3 days while they worked on the RV. They did put us up in a hotel one day, because they had to pull out the shower in order to address the water leak (someone had gouged a water pipe when doing the install initially, and just let it go). All of this repair work, of course, is what is to be expected, since the RV was less than 2 months old at this point, and covered by warranty. It is also worth noting that I had to re-work some of the items that they “fixed” – did this after they released us to leave for home on Friday night. We thought about staying to have them fix the fixes, but they don’t work on the weekends, and we didn’t really want to do that – who knows what would be wrong after a third attempt to fix it? As disappointing as all of this is, what is most disappointing and telling about Thor as a company, is the attitude of the executives of Thor. We asked for a rebate that was offered after our purchase be extended to us, in a way as a discount for a faulty product. We also asked for an extended warranty period, for obvious reasons. They categorically turned us down because they said we didn’t have any “tangible damages”. I guess it would have been easier for them if we had been severely injured/crippled or killed by their product. When I said that to one of the executives, Bob Harlan of Consumer Affairs, he simply kept repeating that there were no “tangible damages”. We then asked for them to take back this product that they apparently do not view as faulty in any way (since it’s been “fixed”), and they also declined to do this. Nadine & I are truly disappointed and disgusted by the lack of integrity by Thor Motor Home, Inc., and its executives. They are not willing to stand by their product (by offering the rebate/discount or the extended warranty, or arranging for it to occur), nor do they apparently care about their customers. I am sharing this so that if any of you have a Palazzo model, please be sure to verify that the overhead cabinet is attached securely to the bed framing above it. Also, if you have any other model with an overhead cabinet, it might be worth checking out as well. This is not our first motorhome purchase, and I’m happy to say other manufacturers – Winnebago/Itasca and Tiffiin, to name a few – do produce good quality products. Yes, they have had some warranty issues, but the numbers are far, far, far less, and none of them has tried to kill us. My message to family, friends and anyone else is, if you want value for your money, and potentially even your life, stay away from any Thor product.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	2435  

Old 07-11-2016, 01:10 AM   #2

THOR #3722
2nd pic

2nd pic;
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	455
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	2438  
Old 07-11-2016, 05:41 AM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
This type of build quality is NOT ACCEPTABLE!
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 10:39 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 30q
State: Ontario
THOR #4175
That is life threatening dangerous. All manufacturers should understand that.
Old 07-12-2016, 01:15 AM   #5

State: California
THOR #402
We just bought. Palazzo 33.4. I had heard of this bed problem. Most were due to an undersized/wrong screws installed in the front of the bed. Was your problem due to the wrong screws?
Old 07-12-2016, 02:39 AM   #6

THOR #3722
Bed didn't fall, the cabinet attached to the underside of the overhead bed came down. From what we could tell from the cabinet 14 wood screws were used across the front face of the cabinet into the wood base of the bed and only 2 were used on the back. The screws in the front were bent or ripped out and the two in the back were pristine, straight, it appears the two in back pulled out allowing the cabinet to swing down leveraging the front screws out like the claw on a hammer then down it comes.

Later at the factory we came to find out that the back screws were meant to be in the aluminum frame of the bed but they 'missed', why only two? Why wood screws and not self tapping sheet metal screws? The quality control on this unit was abysmal, from crushed heat ducting to badly routed cabling and and and, the list goes on.

We had Thor service 'mechanically' attach the new cabinet directly to the frame of the bed before we would accept the unit back, the sides of the cabinet from the base to the top now have a 'T' bracket installed directly to the bed frame in addition to the screws.

New coach and it is back at Camping World for five more warranty issues, exposed plumbing, 3rd replacement of main water valve etc. 3 weeks so far and counting.

Needless to say we are very dissatisfied with the quality of the build on this coach.
Old 07-12-2016, 03:10 AM   #7

Model: ACE 29.3 (2016)
State: Montana
THOR #4032
I am shocked! Next time we purchase an RV, it will not be built by Thor Motor Coach unless they really clean up their act.
Old 07-12-2016, 04:06 AM   #8

Model: Windsport 31S
State: Florida
THOR #4443
Sorry to hear of your misfortunes. I'm trying to be polite to your issues. BUT I would do everything you could possibly think of to let EVERYONE know the absolute lack of responsibility by the company. Hearing your story makes me crazy. I hope you have safe travels and better luck with motorhome.
Old 07-12-2016, 04:36 AM   #9

THOR #4032
You should also post this on iRV2.com forums under "Thor" Owners section. This is just wrong! Also, post under Class A Motorhome section.
Old 07-14-2016, 05:45 PM   #10

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Montgomery View Post
You should also post this on iRV2.com forums under "Thor" Owners section. This is just wrong! Also, post under Class A Motorhome section.
I whole heartily concur, iRV2.com needs to have this posted...
If it is posted everywhere mebbe Thor will wake up to the ramifications of their shabby rip offs.
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 11:29 PM   #11

THOR #4032
Please notify us of any updates... I cannot believe Thor is remaining silent..they are usually good to work with.
Old 07-14-2016, 11:43 PM   #12

THOR #3722
I did post this over in IRV2 dot Com, the moderators over there felt it was apparently a 'rant' or 'vendor dispute' and deleted the thread.

I thought I'd written a straight forward rendition of the facts and that the response or non response of Thor was germane to the safety issues that this incident raised. Sadly the mods at IRV2 disagreed.
Old 07-15-2016, 04:45 AM   #13

THOR #4032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursusb View Post
I did post this over in IRV2 dot Com, the moderators over there felt it was apparently a 'rant' or 'vendor dispute' and deleted the thread.

I thought I'd written a straight forward rendition of the facts and that the response or non response of Thor was germane to the safety issues that this incident raised. Sadly the mods at IRV2 disagreed.
I am shocked that iRV2 Forums deleted your post. There was nothing wrong with it at all. You did not break any rules I am aware of and if it is coming to censoring our posts I just don't know what to think. Shame on the moderator on iRV2.
Old 07-15-2016, 04:18 PM   #14

THOR #4032
Did they delete all your posts, or only this one?
Old 07-15-2016, 06:09 PM   #15

THOR #3722
Just the thread about this problem. I'll edit then post over there again and see if they zap it too.
Old 07-15-2016, 06:17 PM   #16

THOR #4032
Quote:
Just the thread about this problem. I'll edit then post over there again and see if they zap it too.
Let us know when you post it...

Old 07-15-2016, 06:36 PM   #17

THOR #3722
Just now posted the edited file with a different title in the Class A forum.
Old 07-15-2016, 06:45 PM   #18

THOR #4032
Quote:
Just now posted the edited file with a different title in the Class A forum.
Good post. I won't make a comment on that forum until a few others do...
Old 07-15-2016, 09:43 PM   #19

THOR #4032
Bump
Old 07-15-2016, 10:25 PM   #20

State: Missouri
THOR #4821
Did you write the post the exact same way over on irv2 as you did here? You do realize this forum is owned by the same outfit?