Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-01-2022, 01:46 AM   #21
MLP

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #17478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
Not quite true. As part of the QC inspection, each individual coach is put on a platform scales and weighed. The yellow sticker is printed and applied to the screen door. Thus you get the individual coach's weight. DOT regulations specify the procedure and what is included on the sticker. That is why your coaches build sheet number is also printed on the sticker. Each of the factories platform scale is checked every month by loading 10,000, 20,000 and 30,000 for all TMC gas coaches. IN DOT certifies the platform scales once a year (usually in September). QC also prints and applies the white sticker on the driver left as well as all the caution and warning stickers inside and outside.

The Thor MC plant 750 QC procedures take 30 minutes to 1.5 hours depending on the floor plan and the number of inspectors present in the QC booth.
Maybe true for coaches, but not for trailers. Trailers have stickers for basic trailer without options like second AC, and all other upgrades that come standard with upgraded models. I owned a fifth wheel and know.

Old 12-01-2022, 01:59 AM   #22
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
All a buyer has to do is get off their lazy butt and look at the stickers. If their lazy enough they can even take a picture for later viewing.

Manufacturers are not required to spoon speed lazy customers.
Look he just got the RV and had to take it in for servicing. He is not lazy, but perhaps if you read the OP's post you may have been able to know that. He does not have his RV to do so yet. Your post is hostel for no reason. The stickers are almost a loose guide. For the OP, you need to load it up including the fridge and get it weighted. Front and rear. Then get your tire manufactures load/pressure chart and add ten psi to the minimum required psi for the load. Look for a place for a four point weight to be done. Some rallies have that service for the members. When I owned a fifth wheel, the manufactures rally in Elkhart Indiana did and I am glad I did opt for it. I was at the exact proper psi, ten psi over the CAT scale weight per axle, for the tires do to the fifth wheel was heaver on one side than the other. My class A, when four point weighed, was the same situation at exactly the minimum psi for the four point weight vs ten psi over for the CAT scales.
Old 12-01-2022, 10:22 AM   #23

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #5313
No need for a should/should not do. Post the closest yellow sticker data for model. Will give OP an idea what capacity is. Then can weigh once it is returned. Good to see someone asking logical question.

When we considered going bigger, I had dealers sending me stickers from various units.

Would have to go much larger to meet/exceed capacity of current 24.1 on e450 (3,199 lbs OCCC) We head out tomorrow with full water tank, race car/trailer, food, wife and 2 dogs for 3 days and 2 nighrs racing. 24.1 will be over 13k trailer 5300 for total of just under 19k on 22k GCVW.

Buyers need to understand what needs are during purchase. Dealer/salesman are just cogs selling units.

Weighing unit important. Owner needs to understand unit limitations. Our weakest link is front axle, easy fix is keep front compartments light stuff and all heavy stuff in behind axle. That along with 480 lbs tongue wt keeps front well within spec.

During initial purchase this init won on OCCC as it would be used towing racecar as well as hotel room and vacation travel. The closest competitors were an f53 unit 1700 OCCC and an e350 unit 1300 OCCC. 6 years later we have no regrets.
Old 12-01-2022, 02:22 PM   #24
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggs View Post
No need for a should/should not do. Post the closest yellow sticker data for model. Will give OP an idea what capacity is. Then can weigh once it is returned. Good to see someone asking logical question.

When we considered going bigger, I had dealers sending me stickers from various units.

Would have to go much larger to meet/exceed capacity of current 24.1 on e450 (3,199 lbs OCCC) We head out tomorrow with full water tank, race car/trailer, food, wife and 2 dogs for 3 days and 2 nighrs racing. 24.1 will be over 13k trailer 5300 for total of just under 19k on 22k GCVW.

Buyers need to understand what needs are during purchase. Dealer/salesman are just cogs selling units.

Weighing unit important. Owner needs to understand unit limitations. Our weakest link is front axle, easy fix is keep front compartments light stuff and all heavy stuff in behind axle. That along with 480 lbs tongue wt keeps front well within spec.

During initial purchase this init won on OCCC as it would be used towing racecar as well as hotel room and vacation travel. The closest competitors were an f53 unit 1700 OCCC and an e350 unit 1300 OCCC. 6 years later we have no regrets.
Exactly, and what I did in Post #3. Just 1 year difference for the same model.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 04:01 PM   #25

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:

....cut....

....cut....

For clarity, when you say “current 24.1” you mean “my current 24.1”, correct?

Some may not know the “current” 2023 model year 24.1 floor plan is built on E-350 with GVWR of 12,500 pounds and GCWR of 18,500 pounds, both considerably lower than “your current 24.1” built on E-450.
Old 12-01-2022, 04:31 PM   #26

THOR #5313
Yes, correct. During that timeframe (2016) they had a shortage of e350 chassis. My buddy had a 15 on e350. Another pal has a 22/23 four winds on e450. He got more OCCC than me because no slide.

Another potential during that period was transition to 6 spd.

Thor brochure listed as on e350 with 12,500/18,500. For our application 14,500/22,000 works better and it appears there was no real price difference.

I had to verify specs with own eyes before purchase as dealer stated f53 would tow better.

We got lucky, it fit application good. Longer events I carry extra water, spares, ect. Can push 19, 000 GCVW and keep up with traffic.
Old 12-01-2022, 05:16 PM   #27

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Yes, correct. During that timeframe (2016) they had a shortage of e350 chassis. My buddy had a 15 on e350. ....cut.....

I think the “shortage” was actually more of a nightmare caused by emissions regulations. As I recall, E-350 and E-450 fell under different emissions classes, and for a while certain motorhome models/floorplans had to be built on E-450 instead of their normal E-350. It was really shortsighted from government’s standpoint because forcing a switch to E-450 actually increased emissions. Engines, transmissions, etc. were the same, and changing rear axle for E-450 just adds weight — assuming not needed for extra load.

Axis/Vegas 24.1 has gotten a little too heavy for E-350 chassis in my opinion. Unless Ford increases E-350 GVWR above 12,500 pounds, I expect Thor will end up somehow reducing motorhome weight, or else switching back to E-450. IMO +/- 1,300 OCCC is a little too low for 5-passenger MH.
Old 12-02-2022, 01:01 PM   #28

THOR #5313
I heard about emissions, e350 production shortfalls and even framerail production supply issue from Ford guys I race with. In any event, a shortage whether material or regulatory shortfall means essentialy nothing.

As stated, we got lucky. The combination of capacity and performance worked for us. The alternative at time would have been larger causing extra expense, fuel and a lot of complexity. This just fits good. Unit is simple to work on lacks features that just add complexity in our application.

On the e350 with a taller gear, maybe pick up a mpg or two. But also run risk of lugging engine. The 4.56 gear keeps engine in spot where performance allows passing, merging, etc. Is interesting best mpg is close to same with/without 5200 to 5500 lb open trailer with racecar on highway. Best ever was 11 w/o and 10.7 with. The new V-8 may be a little better but not worth it as an investment. The v-10 with 6 speed meets needs.