Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-25-2022, 06:25 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Michigan
THOR #28556
CCC Weight

My brand new 2023 Axis 24.1 is in the shop and has been for over 2 months now for things that should have been corrected before the sale....but that's a different story.
I am trying to figure out what the cargo carrying capacity is for this MH, but since I don't have it, I can't look for a sticker nor can I find anything on line that tells me anything besides the GVWR of 12,500.
Can anybody shed some light on this for me?

Old 11-25-2022, 07:52 PM   #2

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Here's an article on the subject that may help you to do calculations when you get your rig back:

https://www.your-rv-lifestyle.com/vehicle-weight/
Old 11-25-2022, 08:41 PM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Here's an article on the subject that may help you to do calculations when you get your rig back:

https://www.your-rv-lifestyle.com/vehicle-weight/
Why doe he need to calculate? The OCCC is stated on the required sticker.

Per Sportcoupe his 2022 24.1 has 1300 lbs OCCC in this thread:

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f1...1-a-31285.html

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 11:41 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Here is another data point from a dealer showing similar +/- 1,300-pound OCCC.

The 24.1 floor plan appears to have gained a little weight over the years. If it doesn’t go on a diet soon, Thor may have to switch it over to E-450.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1C00EA61-AB28-48B7-A923-1C6633E854D8.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	40228  
Old 11-25-2022, 11:45 PM   #5

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Nevada
THOR #27334
Our 23U is svelte by comparison...and on a E350 chassis..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC11401.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	40229  
widdershins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 11:51 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
Can't he just subtract the loaded weight from the GVWR?
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 12:01 AM   #7
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
Can't he just subtract the loaded weight from the GVWR?
He could, if he had the RV available, and that would tell him how much MORE weight he could load in the RV: but that was not the question asked.
Old 11-26-2022, 04:27 AM   #8

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Why doe he need to calculate? The OCCC is stated on the required sticker.

Per Sportcoupe his 2022 24.1 has 1300 lbs OCCC in this thread:

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f1...1-a-31285.html

WHY would he use a spec from a 2022 when he stated he has a NEW 2023?
Old 11-26-2022, 06:16 AM   #9
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
WHY would he use a spec from a 2022 when he stated he has a NEW 2023?
Because it is more information than he currently has access to and it's probably exactly the same if not very close.
Old 11-27-2022, 12:45 PM   #10

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
To the OP, when you do get it back I suggest taking it EMPTY to a CAT scale for weighing. The CCC, or OCCC, is misleading often because there are other restrictions that come into play. FAWR and RAWR. All too often the rear axle is quite heavy, at or close to that RAWR and nearly all the available cargo capacity with is available on the front. Problem often there is little available space in the front to use. In my opinion every motorhome should be delivered with a weight ticket empty so a potential owner could intelligently load it and not be guessing and hoping it's within limits. As it is in most cases, you buy it then try to figure out IF you have any available and usable OCCC.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 06:37 PM   #11

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by changali View Post
My brand new 2023 Axis 24.1 is in the shop and has been for over 2 months now for things that should have been corrected before the sale....but that's a different story.
I am trying to figure out what the cargo carrying capacity is for this MH, but since I don't have it, I can't look for a sticker nor can I find anything on line that tells me anything besides the GVWR of 12,500.
Can anybody shed some light on this for me?
Ok, let's cut though all the horse hocky here. The CCC is only an estimate for guidance, it is based on the weight of a standard build. The options on your coach might make yours weigh more, which will reduce the CCC or less which will increase the CCC. The only way to know your actual CCC is to get your coach weighed on a CAT scale. As far as I have been able to determine, nearly all the major truck stop brands (Luvs, Pilot, flying-j, etc) will have a CAT scale I know of 5 CAT scales within 50 miles of my house three of which are literally across the road from each other on the four corners of an interstate exit. When you get the coach back, I assume here that you have not added the stuff you will travel with yet, fill your freshwater and gas tanks and go find a CAT scale and get a weigh. By filling both tanks you will find out how much more you can add. In my case I did that with the fresh tank empty. The fresh tank is located near the middle of the coach across the entire width of the coach and will hold 50 Gallon's or a little over 400 LB which would be split between the front and rear axles. So, based on the Actual numbers below I can carry 18000 - 16420 = 1580 LB of additional stuff and people. if we assume 400Lb of people that leaves somewhere around 1100 LB of stuff. If we assume a 10% margin of error that leaves 990 LB of stuff.

My GVWR is 18000 Actual weight 16020
My front GAWR is 7000 Actual weight 5940
My rear GAWR is 12000 Actual weight 10080

While I know how much weight is on each axle, I still need to figure out how the weight is distributed left to right so I can be sure I am not overloading one corner of the coach. This requires a four-corner weigh. this requires weighing on scales that can get a weight of each wheel. With the example above if I were to load all 990 LB of stuff on the right side of the coach there is a good possibility that one of both tires on that side of the coach will be overloaded.

See the following links about four corner weighing.

WHEEL POSITION WEIGHING
https://www.rvsafety.com/rvweighing

https://www.escapees.com/education/smartweigh/

https://www.doityourselfrv.com/weigh-your-rv/

http://rvweigh.com/ Norton lifelock flags this as a Malicious site.

https://www.nirvc.com/

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 07:37 PM   #12

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-sr@perra-us.net View Post
Ok, let's cut though all the horse hocky here. The CCC is only an estimate for guidance, it is based on the weight of a standard build. The options on your coach might make yours weigh more, which will reduce the CCC or less which will increase the CCC. The only way to know your actual CCC is to get your coach weighed on a CAT scale. As far as I have been able to determine, nearly all the major truck stop brands (Luvs, Pilot, flying-j, etc) will have a CAT scale site.
[snip]
Not quite true. As part of the QC inspection, each individual coach is put on a platform scales and weighed. The yellow sticker is printed and applied to the screen door. Thus you get the individual coach's weight. DOT regulations specify the procedure and what is included on the sticker. That is why your coaches build sheet number is also printed on the sticker. Each of the factories platform scale is checked every month by loading 10,000, 20,000 and 30,000 for all TMC gas coaches. IN DOT certifies the platform scales once a year (usually in September). QC also prints and applies the white sticker on the driver left as well as all the caution and warning stickers inside and outside.

The Thor MC plant 750 QC procedures take 30 minutes to 1.5 hours depending on the floor plan and the number of inspectors present in the QC booth.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 08:11 PM   #13

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
Not quite true. As part of the QC inspection, each individual coach is put on a platform scales and weighed. The yellow sticker is printed and applied to the screen door. Thus you get the individual coach's weight. DOT regulations specify the procedure and what is included on the sticker. That is why your coaches build sheet number is also printed on the sticker. Each of the factories platform scale is checked every month by loading 10,000, 20,000 and 30,000 for all TMC gas coaches. IN DOT certifies the platform scales once a year (usually in September). QC also prints and applies the white sticker on the driver left as well as all the caution and warning stickers inside and outside.

The Thor MC plant 750 QC procedures take 30 minutes to 1.5 hours depending on the floor plan and the number of inspectors present in the QC booth.
But that weight ticket which shows axle weights should be printed and included with the RV documents. It would be a novel approach to let a buyer be actually informed on how much weight could be carried and which axle has the available capacity. Too many motorhomes, primarily C, are close if not over the RAWR when just water is loaded.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 11-30-2022, 08:52 PM   #14
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
But that weight ticket which shows axle weights should be printed and included with the RV documents. It would be a novel approach to let a buyer be actually informed on how much weight could be carried and which axle has the available capacity. Too many motorhomes, primarily C, are close if not over the RAWR when just water is loaded.
All a buyer has to do is get off their lazy butt and look at the stickers. If their lazy enough they can even take a picture for later viewing.

Manufacturers are not required to spoon speed lazy customers.
Old 11-30-2022, 09:29 PM   #15

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Nevada
THOR #27334
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
All a buyer has to do is get off their lazy butt and look at the stickers. If their lazy enough they can even take a picture for later viewing.

Or even better, get it weighed. The stickers do not include dealer add-ons, which for TT's means batteries and propane bottles AFAIK... I think motorhomes are weighed with empty propane.. it may not be much, but dealers will try to pad the bottom line... never know what crapola they may add ;-)
widdershins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 09:52 PM   #16

State: North Carolina
THOR #15476
Thor QC procedure.... Right
Old 11-30-2022, 09:53 PM   #17

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post

Might want to reread my comment. Most people can do basic math, really basic, but I've yet to see a door sticker that shows what it weighed on the scale for each axle. Perhaps you'll share one for us. I do weigh my RVs and some I've weighed leaving the dealership. Granted what I could have done in some cases is go to a CAT scales on the test drive. Wasn't always a scale close by. I don't have interpretive eyes like you that can take a OCCC and break it down front to rear.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 11-30-2022, 09:58 PM   #18

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by widdershins View Post
Or even better, get it weighed. The stickers do not include dealer add-ons, which for TT's means batteries and propane bottles AFAIK... I think motorhomes are weighed with empty propane.. it may not be much, but dealers will try to pad the bottom line... never know what crapola they may add ;-)
That's what I did in the case of the toy hauler I bought a few years ago. I had ordered it so brochure weights weren't accurate at all. Plus I had the dealer add slide awnings, 3, change steps to older folding, and add batteries. I wanted to know what I actually weighed and how much weight I could expect to put in the garage, living area and front sections. If what beau is really what thor does, weigh it for the Tire and Loading" sticker, they could also just print out the scale ticket. Grand Design does that, why can't thor? Lazy and sleazy.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 12-01-2022, 12:48 AM   #19

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
That's what I did in the case of the toy hauler I bought a few years ago. I had ordered it so brochure weights weren't accurate at all. Plus I had the dealer add slide awnings, 3, change steps to older folding, and add batteries. I wanted to know what I actually weighed and how much weight I could expect to put in the garage, living area and front sections. If what beau is really what thor does, weigh it for the Tire and Loading" sticker, they could also just print out the scale ticket. Grand Design does that, why can't thor? Lazy and sleazy.
Thor MC has a sales and maintenance contract with the contracted dealer. What the dealer does is only regulated by the states DOT, if at all. I can speak to only to what I have observed during the many factory visits. I try to not guess or surmise without seeing how things work. It would be nice if you could buy a perfect 31 foot luxury gas coach for less than $150,000, but I have worked long enough in the aircraft industry to know than is will never be a reality in the motor coach world. As for trailers and 5th wheels have only toured the Airstream Factory in Jackson Center (2004, 2009, and 2016), so that is all I know about that type of RV manufacturing and I know nothing about the relationship between the Airstream factory and its dealers.
I bought my first motor coach from a used car dealer in Lincolinton, NC in 1995. I learned never buy a coach that was not thoroughly inspected by a professional. When it came time to buy a coach to live in while we sold the house and farmlet, I retired from my teaching career (2015) and began to search for a Thor MC dealer that would let me live in a motor coach before it left the dealership. It turned out that MHSRV would let me live in the coach until I was happy that everything was working as it should. It was 660 miles from home but well worth the trip.

The gravel yard where I bought the gravel for the driveway had a 300,000 lb. 60 x 10 ft platform scale in a 100 x100 ft concrete pad. The coach only has 1,600 miles on it when I weighed the front axle, rear axle, right side and left side. The sticker shows 2480 lbs. My coach empty except for me and about 40 gallons of fuel weighed a total of 2,120lbs. I would say the sticker is accurate for my 18,000 lb 31S coach.

Enough! I am enough of a pragmatists to believe in the "Caveat Emptor" and the "delayed expectations economics".
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 01:22 AM   #20
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Thor is cheap entry level and Grand Design is not. People pay for everything grand design does.

Thor complies with federal requirements for providing weigh info. If someone doesn’t like it they can go elsewhere if they can find a manufacturer that does what you’re suggesting and my nickel says you won’t find one.