Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-06-2018, 02:27 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.1
State: Colorado
THOR #5190
Elkhart, IN

Explains a lot about why so many people have RV quality issues. It’s across the board - manufacturers and component suppliers.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/mark...ana/ar-AAvvX6Z

Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain
RVi Brake 3
DenverTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 03:31 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
Great article! Thanks for posting!!
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 04:01 PM   #3

Model: Quantum RS26
State: Indiana
THOR #10823
And Warsaw, roughly an hour and a half south of Elkhart, is the "Orthopedic" capital of the world with 4 of the top Medical Device manufactures located there. I was in that industry for 20+ years part of that time as a hiring manager, try to hire an experienced machinist in that area! Add to that the current generation of "milenials" and manufacturing in general is in tough shape to find good, qualified and above all motivated workers.
Old 04-06-2018, 04:21 PM   #4

Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Texas
THOR #1183
WOW! Good time to buy used?
Old 04-06-2018, 10:26 PM   #5

Model: Vegas 27.7
State: California
THOR #10907
"Thor .... hires county jail inmates".

Lol.
Old 04-06-2018, 10:36 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860

If even ONE RV manufacturer would make higher quality a first priority: I bet that the rest of them would be forced to re-prioritize also...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 11:41 PM   #7

THOR #10823
Thor isn't alone in hiring work release. It was common practice at the OEM machining company I worked for last. Some of those folks are actually very good workers AND they ARE motivated to come to work every day! There is NOTHING to laugh about in that practice.
Old 04-07-2018, 12:26 AM   #8

Model: Four Winds 26B
THOR #6414
Quality starts at the top and clearly that is not a priority at Thor. Nor is integrity. Flood the market with crap and who does everyone get angry at... mostly dealers! A select number of people are treated to their factory repair and another select group get their issues addressed at the dealer and they come out smelling like a Rose! I gave them plenty of opportunities to make things right with mine but every time I got my hopes up it ended with a dagger in my heart. Clearly after such a banner year they could afford to make things right so it was clearly a decision to NOT make it right. #ThorLacksIntegrity
Old 04-07-2018, 02:39 PM   #9
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTransplant View Post
Explains a lot about why so many people have RV quality issues. It’s across the board - manufacturers and component suppliers.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/mark...ana/ar-AAvvX6Z
This article explains it all. Spot On! 9000 + job openings. My advise is.. buy a good set of square head screwdrivers.... Thank you 4 posting!
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 03:16 PM   #10

State: Tennessee
THOR #7227
I wonder about the true percentage of serious problem. In Hardee’s parking lot a guy pulls up to my rig explains how he camped three days in his new camper and discovered a leaky window. So sends it back to the dealer who has had possession of it for the last year. Yes Thor had a quality error in one of the half dozen or so windows in the rig. Nashville CW is definitely at fault for having the rig for a year. But a $10 tube of pro flex MIGHT have saved everyone a great deal of aggravation and contempt.
Old 04-07-2018, 04:48 PM   #11

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Colorado
THOR #5190
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamJanTan View Post
I wonder about the true percentage of serious problem. In Hardee’s parking lot a guy pulls up to my rig explains how he camped three days in his new camper and discovered a leaky window. So sends it back to the dealer who has had possession of it for the last year. Yes Thor had a quality error in one of the half dozen or so windows in the rig. Nashville CW is definitely at fault for having the rig for a year. But a $10 tube of pro flex MIGHT have saved everyone a great deal of aggravation and contempt.
I've been fairly lucky as the quality issues I've had so far have been within my ability to fix (circuits scrambled, drawer slides coming free, wet circuit boards, etc.) and I very much avoided the warranty dance (and having to deal with the CW lack of service department).

While I agree that major problems are fairly isolated - but very real and probably 10x or more than it should be - the pain experienced by an owner is 100%. Thor, and other manufacturers seem to feel that a high failure rate it OK, and try to make it go away by their warranty and dealer practices. Its no fun though for the folks that get the black ball. I'm sure that managers look at quality as something they don't have to do yet. Eventually it will catch up with them just like it did with American car manufacturers during the 70's and 80's.
Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain
RVi Brake 3
DenverTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 11:46 PM   #12

Model: Forest River Forester 235
THOR #6826
I hope the quality improves but I suspect it would price me out of the market if it does. I also don’t think our industry will ever mirror the auto industry because the latter is a highly competitive multi-billion dollar global market while RVs always will be a tiny luxury market and will need to be price sensitive. Both of my machines have had their issues but I consider them to be a good value. So far, at least. My opinion could change if I find a major flaw
Old 04-07-2018, 11:53 PM   #13
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
They have not changed in the last 40 years since I've been going to Elkhart and working on RVs at an RV dealer when I was in high school. Champion, Beechcraft, Hop Cap, Winnebago, we worked on all of them Shasta, Open Road, nothing has changed ...the only thing I wish I would have done is invest in a staple company....
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 12:48 PM   #14
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
I also don’t think our industry will ever mirror the auto industry because the latter is a highly competitive multi-billion dollar global market while RVs always will be a tiny luxury market and will need to be price sensitive.
Because this market doesn't feel the need to compete on anything other than the basis of price: quality will not become a consideration, until the buyers start "voting their their pocketbooks.".

When the manufacturers are made to realize that "Quality Sells": that's when they'll change their tune!
Old 04-08-2018, 01:36 PM   #15

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
The major difference between the RV and auto industry is automation. I'm not sure if it is even possible in the RV world but even if it could be done the cost would be huge and would require many years to recover the investment. Right now the demand is high but if oil prices go back to $90 per barrel and $4.00 gas you would see the demand drop like a rock. Thus their reluctance to make that kind of investment.

As long as consumers take their RV's back for the smallest annoyance because it is "under warranty" and THEY should fix it, the repair shops are going to be overwhelmed. Sure they should be perfect but nothing ever is.

To many people are entering the RV world with too high of expectations. That over taxes the shops (yes, even CW) for those that do have an issue that the consumer can not address.

I don't call the repair man to fix a leaky faucet in my house or to tighten a loose screw on a door hinge. Why do I expect the dealer to "fix" my motorhome, just because it's under warranty.

This forum is best used by those that want to fix their minor issues themselves. Not just to complain about how bad EVERYTHING is.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth.
Old 04-08-2018, 01:41 PM   #16

THOR #10823
Well said
Old 04-08-2018, 01:44 PM   #17

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
I have a close relative that bought a brand new boat primarily made for ocean fishing years ago. Not a cheap model. He has been fixing and tweaking this vessel since he bought it and even refused to take it back to the dealership for some repairs chiefly because of the less than stellar job that they were known for. Seems like this is not a new story with boat owners. It appears that there is a large number of RV owners that are of the same mindset.
Old 04-08-2018, 02:05 PM   #18
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miramar Owner View Post
..As long as consumers take their RV's back for the smallest annoyance because it is "under warranty" and THEY should fix it, the repair shops are going to be overwhelmed. Sure they should be perfect but nothing ever is.

To many people are entering the RV world with too high of expectations. That over taxes the shops (yes, even CW) for those that do have an issue that the consumer can not address...
Perhaps we've been spoiled by the higher quality purchases that we make in other parts of our lives...
Short of an actual house: most RVs will be about the second most expensive thing that a family can buy. (Well: not counting the cost of a college education for the kids...)
For that kind of money: they should be a whole lot better than they currently are. The repair services offered by the dealerships need to improve even more! Thor didn't do a horrible job in building my rig: they just sort of did a haphazard job: that's all...
But Camping World's attempts (so far) to fix it: they've been abominable!
Old 04-09-2018, 10:02 PM   #19

Model: Forest River Forester 235
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miramar Owner View Post
The major difference between the RV and auto industry is automation. I'm not sure if it is even possible in the RV world but even if it could be done the cost would be huge and would require many years to recover the investment. Right now the demand is high but if oil prices go back to $90 per barrel and $4.00 gas you would see the demand drop like a rock. Thus their reluctance to make that kind of investment.

As long as consumers take their RV's back for the smallest annoyance because it is "under warranty" and THEY should fix it, the repair shops are going to be overwhelmed. Sure they should be perfect but nothing ever is.

To many people are entering the RV world with too high of expectations. That over taxes the shops (yes, even CW) for those that do have an issue that the consumer can not address.

I don't call the repair man to fix a leaky faucet in my house or to tighten a loose screw on a door hinge. Why do I expect the dealer to "fix" my motorhome, just because it's under warranty.

This forum is best used by those that want to fix their minor issues themselves. Not just to complain about how bad EVERYTHING is.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth.

Agree 100%! It would take a pretty significant failure to get me to take my machine back to a dealer. These are not rocket ships and most of the systems seem pretty straightforward to troubleshoot and repair. Also Thor has been very helpful with sending me parts. A side benefit of doing my own repairs is that I now have a pretty darn good understanding of how everything works. It’s not as intimidating as it once was.
Old 04-09-2018, 10:57 PM   #20

Model: outlaw 37ls
State: Europe
THOR #6831
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmtech16450yz View Post
"Thor .... hires county jail inmates".

Lol.

and we elect crooks to run our government