Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-16-2017, 06:48 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Mike in AZ's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Arizona
Posts: 506
THOR #7863
Challenger Sewer Hose Options

We brought our new '17 Challenger 37LX home from the dealer today. Wow, I really am an RV guy now! :-) But I might be the least knowledgeable one in the country.

So one of the things we need to buy is a sewer hose. I've been researching for the past 90 minutes, and I think the Waste Master kit makes sense and would be a good buy for us. The only real question I have is, will it work in the Challenger with the way the outlet is configured? Most of the ones I saw in the install videos and literature were for pipes sticking out underneath the RV. On the Challenger, it's inside a compartment and pointed downwards, with a cutout directly underneath.

I read some reviews where people said they used an elbow (a 90 or a 45) for that, but I don't understand. Are they permanently installing the elbow and leaving it stick out under the coach? How does that work?

If there's any advice from Challenger owners, especially if you have a 2017 37LX so I know it's apples to apples, I'd appreciate your advice on this system, or on whatever you use that's working well for you. Thanks.
__________________

__________________
__________
Mike
USAF Veteran, Retired Security Professional
The only thing necessary for evil to prosper,
Is that good men do nothing.
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 12:05 PM   #2
Site Team
 
16ACE27's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
Posts: 5,059
THOR #7035
90 Degree clear elbow only installed when used. And what RV dealer did you buy from that didn't include a starter kit that includes the AC cord, sewer hose, and water hose as well as a pack of RV toilet paper and tank chemicals? Every RV I have ever bought from a dealer included these items.
__________________

__________________
16ACE27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 12:19 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
bigben's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
Posts: 1,032
THOR #1020
We have the Challenger 37TB. We use the standard kits that fasten directly onto the coach sewer connection. Most times when we are staying for more 1 night, we use a "Y" connection that allows connection of both the rear and mid connections. It can be a little nasty to clean up but makes use of the RV seamless.

Note: the method I use for disconnection with the "y" connector is to back flush one side of the connection for a few minutes. Then "walk" any liquid to the "y". I will turn the "y" connector so the flushed out tube is facing up. I remove the hose and install a blank. Then just finish up like it is a single connection.
__________________
US Army Retired - Loving The Road Trip
Challenger 37TB
bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 01:04 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
SuperD's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
Posts: 3,692
THOR #5196
The clear 90 twists and locks on to your outlet, it is not permanent, it allows you to see when the water is running clear from your tanks. I carry both a 90 and a 45 to give me some flexibility in connections depending on where I'm parked, a sewer hose support is nice to have also. I don't know how the drains are set up for your coach or what adapters you may need. I will recommend the Dominator sewer hose, very tough, easy to handle and store. You can get Dominator hoses, fittings and extensions from either Camping World or Amazon.

Takes a while to get the hang of things, if you have questions ask here or a neighbor camper, most are friendly and glad to help. Hope this helps you!
__________________
USMC Veteran
FMCA 101070S

Dave & Myra
One day your life will flash before your eyes,
make sure it's worth watching!
SuperD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 01:09 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 37GT
State: Florida
Posts: 809
THOR #5246
I know some Challenger models have two different discharge outlets, one for black and one for gray. Our GT model does not.

I had enough room between end end of my sewer discharge line and the hole in the compartment floor to attach the Flush King. It stays in place providing me with not only a clear elbow, but an easier way to attach my sewer hose when setting up at a site. Best $40 we ever spent.
__________________
Full Time in 2017 Newmar Ventana 4369
pulling a 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper/Harley/Kayak)
(traded 2014 Thor Challenger)
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 03:53 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Mike in AZ's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Arizona
Posts: 506
THOR #7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
90 Degree clear elbow only installed when used. And what RV dealer did you buy from that didn't include a starter kit that includes the AC cord, sewer hose, and water hose as well as a pack of RV toilet paper and tank chemicals? Every RV I have ever bought from a dealer included these items.
We bought from Camping World in Avondale, AZ. The only one of those itcame with was the AC ship to shore cable. 🤔
__________________
__________
Mike
USAF Veteran, Retired Security Professional
The only thing necessary for evil to prosper,
Is that good men do nothing.
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 03:55 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Mike in AZ's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Arizona
Posts: 506
THOR #7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
We have the Challenger 37TB. We use the standard kits that fasten directly onto the coach sewer connection. Most times when we are staying for more 1 night, we use a "Y" connection that allows connection of both the rear and mid connections. It can be a little nasty to clean up but makes use of the RV seamless.

Note: the method I use for disconnection with the "y" connector is to back flush one side of the connection for a few minutes. Then "walk" any liquid to the "y". I will turn the "y" connector so the flushed out tube is facing up. I remove the hose and install a blank. Then just finish up like it is a single connection.
Thanks Ben. I don't think I'll jump into the Y thing right now, will just empty both separately until I get some experience. But it sounds like the way to go!
__________________
__________
Mike
USAF Veteran, Retired Security Professional
The only thing necessary for evil to prosper,
Is that good men do nothing.
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 03:58 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Mike in AZ's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Arizona
Posts: 506
THOR #7863
Thanks Joe and Dave.

We are set up that way, Joe, the black and gray share one outlet pipe. But there are two separate ones, for rear and mid tanks (our model has a bath and a half). So whatever I do, I have to do it twice until I'm experienced enough to try the Y that Joe uses.

I appreciate all the tips and advice!
__________________
__________
Mike
USAF Veteran, Retired Security Professional
The only thing necessary for evil to prosper,
Is that good men do nothing.
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 04:06 PM   #9
Thor Palazzo 33.3 diesel
 
TurnerFam's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo 33.3 34'bunkhouse
State: Georgia
Posts: 2,402
THOR #4735
yes, purchase the basic minimal and most economical hose first, you'll know what you REALLY want later after you've tried the process several times. Don't waste your money on what's advertised as the best - a hose is a hose, until you've enough experience to know why you should spend more money for a 'better' hose setup.

it'll come with time, don't fret it.
__________________
the Turners
'14 Palazzo 33.3 bunkhouse 34' diesel
KingTailgater2 Dish HD, 100w/5a SOLAR, BlueOx
100,000+mi since '14 - US, Alaska, Canada - Northwest, GA! (also, '14 Gulfstream Amerilite and '07 ForestRiver Rockwood) : )
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 04:22 PM   #10
Member
 
iDrive55's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 22e
State: Virginia
Posts: 38
THOR #7211
I find a 45 Degree Hydroflush very useful in clearing the black-water tank. It allows you to spray water back up into the tank and "walk-out" any debris that may be left in the tank after dumping.

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-F02-...+hose+fittings
__________________
iDrive55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 04:41 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Mike in AZ's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Arizona
Posts: 506
THOR #7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
yes, purchase the basic minimal and most economical hose first, you'll know what you REALLY want later after you've tried the process several times. Don't waste your money on what's advertised as the best - a hose is a hose, until you've enough experience to know why you should spend more money for a 'better' hose setup.

it'll come with time, don't fret it.
Thanks, sound advice!
__________________
__________
Mike
USAF Veteran, Retired Security Professional
The only thing necessary for evil to prosper,
Is that good men do nothing.
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 04:45 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Mike in AZ's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Arizona
Posts: 506
THOR #7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by iDrive55 View Post
I find a 45 Degree Hydroflush very useful in clearing the black-water tank. It allows you to spray water back up into the tank and "walk-out" any debris that may be left in the tank after dumping.

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-F02-...+hose+fittings
Thank you. I was just reading about the Flush King, looks like something like this will be well worth having. I am going to look closely at my RV's configuration to ensure whatever I get will work.

Do CG's typically offer two sewer receptacles per space? I'm guessing no. So staying hooked up with both tank outlets probably isn't an option for me, another thing I need to learn and understand.
__________________
__________
Mike
USAF Veteran, Retired Security Professional
The only thing necessary for evil to prosper,
Is that good men do nothing.
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 05:09 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Travelin' Texans's Avatar
 
Brand: Redwood
State: Texas
Posts: 1,200
THOR #3610
If the Waste Master is the green one with the valve on the end the biggest draw back to it is it takes A LOT of room to store it. I use the Viper hoses with the Flush King 45 & it works great.
If you buy too cheap of hose you will regret it as they just don't last & they usually leak while draining the black not the gray, YUK.
If you want to use both drains you will need extra hose & a "Y" , but with the 1/2 bath the black & gray most likely use the same tank & unless that's the toilet everyone uses you should be good for more than a week if splitting duties between 2 toilets.
Always leave the black valves shut until ready to dump, the gray can stay open til a couple days before dumping black so you'll have gray water to rinse after draining black. NEVER leave the black valve open & use plenty of water each flush.
__________________
Danny & Linda
Sold our '13 Thor Redwood 36 FB
Currently RV & truckless
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 05:27 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Mike in AZ's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Arizona
Posts: 506
THOR #7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
If the Waste Master is the green one with the valve on the end the biggest draw back to it is it takes A LOT of room to store it. I use the Viper hoses with the Flush King 45 & it works great.
If you buy too cheap of hose you will regret it as they just don't last & they usually leak while draining the black not the gray, YUK.
If you want to use both drains you will need extra hose & a "Y" , but with the 1/2 bath the black & gray most likely use the same tank & unless that's the toilet everyone uses you should be good for more than a week if splitting duties between 2 toilets.
Always leave the black valves shut until ready to dump, the gray can stay open til a couple days before dumping black so you'll have gray water to rinse after draining black. NEVER leave the black valve open & use plenty of water each flush.
Thanks, this is very helpful info!

The rear tanks are for the full bath (sink, lav, shower), I assume the mid tanks are kitchen sink and half bath.

So a Y still just has me doing the drain/flush on one set of tanks at a time, right? I misunderstood earlier, but the Y sounds like a necessity now.
__________________
__________
Mike
USAF Veteran, Retired Security Professional
The only thing necessary for evil to prosper,
Is that good men do nothing.
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 05:56 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Mike in AZ's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Arizona
Posts: 506
THOR #7863
This is my setup. The mid tank outlets are located under the water heater, middle of the coach. There is indeed both a black and gray valve. The rear tank outlet is located at the rearmost hatch of the coach, nothing else in that compartment.

Due to the outlet being inside the compartment, I can't tell if I could use a flush master or flush king or comparable, or not. Again, Challenger 37LX. I'm sorry, I know this shouldn't be complicated but I've never seen sewer hoses and accessories connected and do not know what to expect. Guess I could just start out with two basic hoses, and go from there?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170616_104229.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	5317   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170616_104223.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	5318  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170616_103618.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	5319  
__________________
__________
Mike
USAF Veteran, Retired Security Professional
The only thing necessary for evil to prosper,
Is that good men do nothing.
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 06:13 PM   #16
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast
 
JamieGeek's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Michigan
Posts: 8,968
THOR #1150
That sewer outlet looks like it rotates; give it a push and see if it turns towards the hole.
__________________
2014 Thor Axis 24.1
2018 Chevy Bolt
blog - https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 06:38 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Mike in AZ's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Arizona
Posts: 506
THOR #7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
That sewer outlet looks like it rotates; give it a push and see if it turns towards the hole.
Checked... the pipes are both very much fixed. There's no moving part going from where the black and gray join the juncture, only a few inches sticking out in a fixed position.
__________________
__________
Mike
USAF Veteran, Retired Security Professional
The only thing necessary for evil to prosper,
Is that good men do nothing.
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 06:53 PM   #18
Member
 
iDrive55's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 22e
State: Virginia
Posts: 38
THOR #7211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
If the Waste Master is the green one with the valve on the end the biggest draw back to it is it takes A LOT of room to store it. I use the Viper hoses with the Flush King 45 & it works great.
If you buy too cheap of hose you will regret it as they just don't last & they usually leak while draining the black not the gray, YUK.
If you want to use both drains you will need extra hose & a "Y" , but with the 1/2 bath the black & gray most likely use the same tank & unless that's the toilet everyone uses you should be good for more than a week if splitting duties between 2 toilets.
Always leave the black valves shut until ready to dump, the gray can stay open til a couple days before dumping black so you'll have gray water to rinse after draining black. NEVER leave the black valve open & use plenty of water each flush.
Hey TT, Did you mean splitting 'doodys'?
__________________
iDrive55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 11:38 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
RV Pirate's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37 LX
State: Florida
Posts: 270
THOR #7853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in AZ View Post
Checked... the pipes are both very much fixed. There's no moving part going from where the black and gray join the juncture, only a few inches sticking out in a fixed position.
Mike, both of my Y's rotate. You may have to tug on them a little to loosen them up. I also bought the 20' Viper kit when we picked up our MH. The kit comes with 2 - 10' hoses which connect together and a clear 90 elbow. Probably gonna buy a Y connector and another hose to connect both greys when hooking up.
Hope this helps.
__________________
RV Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 12:14 PM   #20
Site Team
 
EA37TS's Avatar
 
Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: Virginia
Posts: 4,694
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in AZ View Post
This is my setup. The mid tank outlets are located under the water heater, middle of the coach. There is indeed both a black and gray valve. The rear tank outlet is located at the rearmost hatch of the coach, nothing else in that compartment.

Due to the outlet being inside the compartment, I can't tell if I could use a flush master or flush king or comparable, or not. Again, Challenger 37LX. I'm sorry, I know this shouldn't be complicated but I've never seen sewer hoses and accessories connected and do not know what to expect. Guess I could just start out with two basic hoses, and go from there?
First, contact Thor and get the waste water diagrams for your coach and verify what drains into the rear tank. On my 37ND the rear tank handles the shower, outdoor kitchen sink and washing machine (not installed on my coach). I went one step further and verified the diagrams by running water in each fixture (one at a time) and then draining to determine what drained into what tank. Even though my rear tank has a black handled gate valve it is grey water only. I also verified the only thing draining into my 40 gal black is the toilet.

I use the basic Rhino hoses with a Y to drain both front and rear grey tanks.

On your sewer fittings try backing off the nuts about 1/8 to 1/4 turn and see if the elbow will rotate. More than likely the bolts are too tight causing the elbow to bind.
__________________

__________________
Dave
US Army (Ret)
2020 Entegra Accolade 37TS
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
×