Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-10-2019, 10:48 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Citation 24ST
State: Wisconsin
THOR #7565
Changing from Vegas to Synergy

Do to recent changes in our lives we're thinking of trading in our Vegas 25.2 for a Synergy TT. For us better layout, ease of handling and noise reduction in cab. Loved the Vegas but just not working out for us. Would appreciate any comments, opinions. Looking at a 2018 Synergy with less than 6000 miles, seems like a good deal at about 70,000.
Thanks

Old 10-11-2019, 12:21 AM   #2

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Needs and wants change over time. Which model Synergy are you looking at?

Driving ease is an important part of the picture, and so is storage and livability. Did you spend some time in the Synergy, or just walk through? Before you ink the trade, try to stay in it for half a day. We spent an hour in a similar sized coach at an RV show, and found that we weren't going to be comfortable in it.

That does sound like a good price for low miles. Do you have experience with diesels? Not everyone is a fan. You results will vary.
Old 10-11-2019, 12:41 AM   #3

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Sunshine is pretty much right.
The climb from the seats to the back is comparatively exasperating.

I can tell you I just saw, not half an hour ago a synergy on i40 just west of Flagstaff doing about 80mph up about a 3 percent incline. The added 3xp3nse of diesel and the additive bullcrap wouldn't be worth it to me, but that thing was flying up that grade. I watched for a bauble from a downshift. Engine too good or multispeed trans too good, I didn't see the shift if it did.

It's the first time I had noticed a synergy doesn't have that blindingly big overhang some c class do.

I'd sure do a tight circle in that synergy and make sure you're not trading up to a larger turning circle.

You're really really really gonna miss that axis windshield.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:25 AM   #4

THOR #7565
Thanks Sunshine and ducksface. We did have a Synergy for a couple days and the turning radis was really good, better than the Vegas. It feels like we may give up some inside storage but pick up a lot more outside storage on the Synergy. We're looking at the TT model with twin beds and theater seating, love the theater seats. The biggest down side we see is the bathroom. Our Vegas 25.2 has such a nice size bathroom/shower. We have not had a diesel before.
Old 10-11-2019, 01:08 PM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micky/John View Post
Thanks Sunshine and ducksface. We did have a Synergy for a couple days and the turning radis was really good, better than the Vegas. It feels like we may give up some inside storage but pick up a lot more outside storage on the Synergy. We're looking at the TT model with twin beds and theater seating, love the theater seats. The biggest down side we see is the bathroom. Our Vegas 25.2 has such a nice size bathroom/shower. We have not had a diesel before.
You do realize that a Synergy TT is the same floorplan as an Axis/Vegas 24.1 right?

You'll get pretty much all the same stuff in a 24.1 with the big windshield (including the cramped bathroom).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 02:30 PM   #6

THOR #7565
Thanks Jamie, yes we do realize that but my main problem is I have never become comfortable driving the Vegas, and I've tried, but the cab noise and instability I feel when I drive it stresses me out. With my husband not able to drive as much anymore, and we really still want to keep RVing, we have to get something I feel the most comfortable driving. When we drove the Synergy those couple of days it was like night and day for both of us. We just felt less stressed and easier driving. We could actually go faster than 60 or 65 and still feel comfortable. And yes we upgraded the Vegas with front and rear stabilizers and bump stops and safeT Plus, which helped some. Although we loved the Vegas I guess our needs and wants out of RVing have changed in these last 3 years.
Old 10-11-2019, 02:33 PM   #7

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
I have a 2018 Thor Siesta 24SS built on the MB chassis with diesel. I love it. Plenty of torque for climbing. It has two slide outs(dinning area and queen rear bed). The only added fuel cost is the DEF you have to fill about every 9,000 miles. Mine holds about 4.5 gallons. It runs about $17.00 for a 2.5 gallon jug. It is used for the emissions to keep the exhaust clean. Mine also has a diesel generator that runs off of the full tank. My wife wanted something she felt comfortable driving in the event that she drove it. As per MB, the oil changes are at 20,000 mile intervals. It holds 14 quarts of oil. An oil change not at the MB dealership runs about $190.00 to have someone do it for you. There are no other additives required for a diesel unless you store it for the winter. This is my 2nd MB sprinter chassis diesel motor home that I have owned.
Old 10-12-2019, 02:03 AM   #8

THOR #1589
With the new information you've added, it sounds like this could be the right move for you. It's different strokes for different folks, and our needs and wants change over time.

Kinda surprised that no Synergy owners have commented.
Old 10-12-2019, 01:30 PM   #9

THOR #7565
Well thanks everyone. As it turns out this coach wasn't for us after all. We found to many problems and repairs that needed to be done and dealer was kind of vague on how they would be taken care of. We didn't feel it was worth the price. Although it drove really nice we didn't feel the "love" for the rest of the coach. So we will continue to search. :-) And continue to travel some with our Vegas for now.
Old 10-12-2019, 01:43 PM   #10

THOR #13932
On good road, our axis is as quiet inside as our king ranch.
Really. We have a new strip of i-40 here and my phone meter says the rv and the kr are the same decibels inside on that very very nice stretch of road.

I think based on the descriptive, but few, words you've written, that you have a SEAT problem and not a coach problem.

The seat placement is as bad as a boat, truly a second thought instead of a priority, in an axis.

We will be replacing our stock seats with seats from a king ranch or a top line silverado.
We do this because we hate the seats in our coach. They're like sitting on a flagpole while steering a boat.

The silverado or king ranch seats were chosen because these are the seats we have 250,000 miles on with no complaints(so we'll have no surprises).

We understand the rv angle, height and perspective will be different than in our trucks, but we'll give it a shot.

Just how I analyzed your discontent, and how we're addressing our discontent.
Old 10-14-2019, 12:26 AM   #11

THOR #1589
Back to your main complaints about cab noise and instability. Is the cab noise from the doghouse or the dashboard? Both of those areas can be lined with fatmat or some similar insulating material.

Instability cures start with an alignment. Have you had that done? Then if you still aren't satisfied, you can spend more on Sumo springs, heavier shocks, Safety steer, sway bars, not necessarily in that order. With each expense, there should be incremental improvement.

Some folks get along just fine without all this stuff, and some do it all. Your preferences and results will vary...
Old 10-14-2019, 01:14 AM   #12

THOR #1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
...We will be replacing our stock seats with seats from a king ranch or a top line silverado.
We do this because we hate the seats in our coach. They're like sitting on a flagpole while steering a boat.

The silverado or king ranch seats were chosen because these are the seats we have 250,000 miles on with no complaints(so we'll have no surprises)...

Wondering if middle van seats would work better because they have arms? You make a good point about durability, but those King Ranch seats might cost as much used as new Flexsteel RV seats. Thoughts?
Old 10-14-2019, 02:06 AM   #13

THOR #13932
They're going to be about 600+ for the pair.
That includes leather, heat, 12 way power on both, and memory on the drivers seat, plus three speed power venting/ac on both. But no armrest. The armrest situation is why I don't have them yet. I'm thinking of a solution.
The silverado seats have arm rests and the same options as the kr, but they also have built in airbags I'm not sure about.

Older gm power seat units are very generic, basically flat on the bottom and flat on the top/seat placement and would slip right under the stock Thor seats if all that was wanted was tip tilt and forward back. The units sell for about 29 bucks at a junk yard and will make the Thor seats perfectly usable.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:18 PM   #14

Model: Axis 25.2
THOR #13384
We switched rather than fight........from 2015 25.2 Axis we bought used with 8K miles to a new 2018 MB Synergy with the Murphy Bed and love it. After spending mega$$ to upgrade suspension on the Axis and going through two.....yes two......cracked window replacements, we gave up. The DW didn't enjoy driving it and I'll have to admit that after driving the MB Sprinter chassis it is a major improvement that both of us enjoy. We are getting 15+ MPG during break in doing 62 MPH and not getting blown around on the interstate with just the factory chassis.
Sure diesel runs about 25% more than gasoline but the improved performance, minimal noise, etc. made the difference for us. As much as I miss the storage in the Axis, the Synergy has subtle improvements that I thought was worth the price difference.
Good luck with your shopping.
Old 10-16-2019, 11:21 PM   #15

THOR #4127
Quote:
Do to recent changes in our lives we're thinking of trading in our Vegas 25.2 for a Synergy TT. For us better layout, ease of handling and noise reduction in cab. Loved the Vegas but just not working out for us. Would appreciate any comments, opinions. Looking at a 2018 Synergy with less than 6000 miles, seems like a good deal at about 70,000.
Thanks
Do yourself a favor and switch to Winnebago or Pleasure Way. Anything but the cheapest junk in the market.
I own a MB Citation Sprinter 3 years old. Everything MB great. Everything Thor real junk! Wish I made the right decision originally.
Old 10-17-2019, 05:40 AM   #16

Brand: Still Looking
State: Nevada
THOR #4729
Quote:
Thanks
We saw one but thinking it was too similar to our Thor Compass. Considering the new Thor Sequence or Travato?
Old 10-17-2019, 01:23 PM   #17

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKConey View Post
We saw one but thinking it was too similar to our Thor Compass. Considering the new Thor Sequence or Travato?
There is a huge difference in living space between Class Cs or B+ and a true Class B van campers. Also that a B has no outside storage.

You can not beat a van camper for ease of driving, parking, and touring the country because you can go pretty much anywhere with little or no planning, but I’d suggest renting one for a few days if possible to confirm space is adequate. It’s a different animal altogether. From wet baths, to tiny holding tanks, to limited storage inside and out, etc... Traveling with others is not as simple either, or with large pets.

New vans can be about 50% more spacious than old Ford Econoline like ours, so I’m sure they are a significant improvement. However, compared to our previous small C or those we occasionally rent when traveling with others, space is not even close. Also, when built as a camper, most new vans can’t tow a trailer like the old Fords — which allows me to rent a travel trailer for additional space if needed.

There’s a lot to like about van campers, and we do, but there are lot of compromises also to consider very carefully.
Old 10-18-2019, 03:28 AM   #18

Model: Synergy 24MB
THOR #5093
I agree with everything Garbageman said about the Synergy. We bought a 2020 Synergy MB and love it. We had a 2016 ACE 27.1 and I just didn’t feel comfortable while driving. It had tons of storage inside and out and was very comfortable. But was very noisy and labored on hills.
Old 03-22-2020, 12:40 PM   #19

State: Alabama
THOR #18392
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyBrum View Post
I agree with everything Garbageman said about the Synergy. We bought a 2020 Synergy MB and love it. We had a 2016 ACE 27.1 and I just didn’t feel comfortable while driving. It had tons of storage inside and out and was very comfortable. But was very noisy and labored on hills.
Do you have a Firefly Multiplex System with a diesel generator. If so...have you used your AGS and does it work?
Old 03-22-2020, 01:25 PM   #20

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Being sensible here...
It sounds like the women of the Forum have spoken and desire driving the small class C Mercedes chassis over the Ford E350/450.

Personally, I really love the Synergy TT or Vegas/Axis 24.1 floorplans.
That is, whether driving or boon-docking, the rear twin/king bed is always available without extending the slide.

If your desire is to be more comfortable while driving or sitting...you can easily change out the front seats, or sofa for recliners as many on this Forum have done.

So for me, if/when I move to my next RV...the TT or 24.1 twin/king bed will be a deciding factor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6B07AA85-6A58-4630-9B93-B38E7283A304.jpeg
Views:	57
Size:	350.5 KB
ID:	23027   Click image for larger version

Name:	3AB96C4C-6E02-443C-9660-7B6A3A4C36B1.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	23028