Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-05-2014, 02:43 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Vegas
State: Louisiana
THOR #965
Question Satellite wiring for Thor Vegas

I am taking delivery of a 2015 Thor Vegas. I am puzzled how to hook up a satellite reciever with the existing coax wiring. Has anyone had any experience in hooking theirs up? Can I download a Coach wiring diagram? I thought I read somewhere that the Vegas & Axis were satellite ready.

Thanks!
MGB

Old 08-05-2014, 03:44 AM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
Seeing how you have not yet taken delievery on the unit have them show you on the PDI. Take your time makes lots of notes and pictures of everything. After they show you on something how it works stop there and you perform the task. If anything is wrong do not sign the papers until thee repairs are completed. On my unit there is a Sat only coax running to the 211 receiver. From there there is a HDI cord runing to the TV
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 11:20 PM   #3

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Texas
THOR #1028
hook up a satellite reciever

We picked up are 2015 Vegas two weeks ago. I contacted Thor and they told me how to do it and it worked.
For us we hook the dish to the connection on the side of the rig where you would hook up the cable to.
Then in the cabinet above the sink there is a cover with a button and a green light on it that comes on when you push the button this switches the system from ant. to cable.
I was told to remove this and you will need 2short cables and a fitting to connect two of them together.
On are unit the cable from the side connection and the dish was a white cable. you remove it and connect a short cable to it and run it thru the hole there next to it to the sat. box dish in.
take the other cable and run it from the sat. box out to tv connection thru the hole and connect it to the place where you removed the other cable and put the button plate back in the wall then switch each TV's to cable and do channel scan. when done you will have satellite on all TV's.
make sure the button is not pushed and that the green light is off.
I spent about $12.00 at radioshack to do this
Old 08-26-2014, 01:30 AM   #4

Model: Thor Vegas
State: Louisiana
THOR #965
Satellite Hookup

Thanks for the info. I have it working now!

Old 09-22-2014, 06:26 PM   #5

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
I have a 2015 Axis and want to connect a satellite system to it but the system I am getting only has an HDMI or RCA component output on the receiver (no coaxial out). I've noticed in the cabinet above the sink where the antenna booster is located there is a cable labeled as HDMI and not connected to anything. Would this be for connecting to a Satellite receiver and if so would it connect to only one TV or all 3?
Old 09-22-2014, 07:08 PM   #6
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
I would think so, will only work on the main TV if past history means any thing
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 07:53 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
There are such things as a HDMI to Coax adapter. Perhaps that is what you are seeing.

If the HDMI output is converted to Coax, then all TVs would be able to view the signal assuming they are connected to the Coax distribution box... but not at HDMI quality.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:03 PM   #8

THOR #1123
Thanks Fhenn and FW28z for your quick response. I'm really liking this Forum. Will try the HDMI first and see what happens. Someone at the dealer told me it's for connecring a DVD player but should work with satellite receiver but maybe only on one TV. If that doesn't work out, will try to get a HDMI to coax output modulator. Thanks again folks!
Old 09-22-2014, 08:29 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #531
I am using a HDMI to composite adapter for my DVD player as all you can find these days are Blu Ray players and they no longer have composite video.

Here is the one I bought:

Amazon.com: Etekcity® HDMI to AV Composite RCA CVBS Video + Audio Converter For TV PS3 VHS VCR DVD: Electronics

It connects to the RCA composite input of the Quest video switch that came with my RV.

It works OK for video, but my Blu Ray player has a built-in Roku type application, and any computer graphics tears a bit. Still, we're in a RV, so I can accept less than HD quality. The Godzilla DVD Gift Set played fine.

One thing though. The claim is the unit is self powered, which it was not. There is a USB connection though that can be used to power it. Fortunately my Blu Ray player had a USB port so that is what I used to power the adapter.

I could probably increase the video quality by connecting the HDMI adapter directly to the TV's composite input, however I could not see the signal on the back-bedroom TV. And I am using the composite input for the front TV for a xBox.

The Quest video switch converts the composite input to RF. So I am going from HDMI to Composite Video, to a RF modulated signal, and I expect some quality loss along the way.
Old 09-24-2014, 02:15 PM   #10
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
We have a 24.1 Axis: The HDMI cable in the cabinet goes straight to the back of the TV (I've removed the TV and the microwave to see if I could run another cable--no go.)
Old 09-24-2014, 03:53 PM   #11

THOR #1123
Thanks for the info Jamie. I contacted the tech support at Thor and was told the loose HDMI cable is for the main TV only (DVD player or whatever) and to connect to all TVs would require removing the antennae booster plate in the cabinet and connect to the "all TV" port. This will have to be done after removing the coax cable from the booster connection and reconnecting with coax from the satellite receiver. My only problem now is that I will need an adapter to convert from either HDMI or component to coax cable as my satellite receiver only has coax in and either HDMI or component out. Sure wish they had designed this to be in a more accessable location.

Larry
Old 10-02-2014, 08:52 AM   #12

State: North Carolina
THOR #1162
2nd cable from Sat. Dish

Have 2015 ACE. How do I get a second cable into the unit, as I desire to watch "my" programs on the front TV, and my wife watches her shows on the rear TV. Once I can get the second cable up to the splitter, I think that I will be able to connect it to my box and then directly to front TV????? Any input greatly appreciated.....Marc
Old 10-02-2014, 05:44 PM   #13

THOR #1123
Sorry. Wish I could help. I've been struggling to get satellite connections made to my TVs on my Axis. No easy task. Seems they could have located the coax splitter in a more accessible area than an upper cabinet behind the antennae booster. Another story in finally finding a composite to RF coax at Radio Shack to accommodate my needs also.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:01 PM   #14

State: North Carolina
THOR #1162
Thank you for your response. I am attempting to "fish" a seperate cable down the wall; thus, having a second line dedicated to the front TV. I will inform you as I progress.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:52 PM   #15

THOR #1123
Good luck with it. I'm sure persistence will pay off.
Old 10-19-2014, 12:51 PM   #16

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #1217
I have a 2014 axis and I want to connect my 3 TV to my satelitte receiver which has only a HDMI or component output !

I saw a few people talking about a video switch located somewhere in the rv but I couldnt find it !

Do I need to buy a HDMI to coax ?

Are the tree coax cable connected together somewhere ?
Old 10-19-2014, 01:04 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #531
Some RVs have a video switch that is wired in by the factory. Other coaches may no longer be equipped with them due to the tendency to move to HDMI rather than coax. Since HDMI is more expensive, I would not expect to see such switches soon in some coaches.

If you have a video switch, it is likely to be in a cabinet, and look like this:

Old 10-19-2014, 01:14 PM   #18

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #1217
OK no I don't have this and all my TV are connected with coax
Old 10-19-2014, 08:09 PM   #19

THOR #1123
ser 98,
I have a '15 24.1 Axis and I doubt Thor changed wiring on these from '14 to '15. This is what I had to do with the same situation you've mentioned:
The 3 TVs are coax connected in the upper cabinet beside the m/w and behind the antenna booster cover plate (small button switch and when pressed the green light comes on for the antenna booster) in top right corner. Mine had a HDMI cable lying loose in the cabinet and found out it is connected to the main TV over the door and I'll mention this later. So, to connect all TVs together for a sat. receiver with HDMI and component output only, I purchased a RF modulator from Radio Shack (about $25.) which will convert component (red, white, yellow) to coax output. I then removed the cover plate mentioned above (2 screws), disconnected the cable input from the outside (white cable) at the various wire connectors, routed the white cable thru the hole where the power cord for the m/w is and connected it to the satellite receiver coax input. I then connected the component red, white, yellow from the sat. receiver to the Radio Shack RF modulator (ignore the coax input jack...not used in this config.) and using a short piece of coax cable I then connected from the RF modulator back thru the hole in the cabinet to where I had previously disconnected the coax. I then put the cover plate back on. The RF modulator must be connected to the 110v outlet to operate. I used the HDMI that was in the cabinet to connect to the satellite receiver also giving me HDMI quality on the main TV. In this configuration, the outside TV and bedroom TV are standard definition since the component cables are used but the main TV is high definition. Also, the outside antenna booster must be turned off (green light off) for satellite reception.

This does limit you in such a way that all 3 TVs are programmed to whatever channel your satellite receiver is tuned to but I can live with that. Also, since the rf modulator and sat. receiver are in the cabinet, I leave the cabinet door opened slightly so heat doesn't build up too much and the remote won't work thru closed cabinet doors anyway.

Hope this helps get you connected. It sounds like a lot but doesn't take too long to connect it all up. Just a little limited with space and short wiring.

Any questions and I'll be glad to try and answer..
Old 04-05-2020, 06:44 PM   #20

State: Illinois
THOR #4121
I pushed the easy button. I got 2 flat coax cables, run one from the satellite input cable to the receiver and hooked the output cable to the motorhome outside coax connection. This puts satellite on all TV's (as long as the green booster button is off). Cost about $10. Although I can't watch over the air along with the satellite at the same time, I can switch each TV HDMI to the DVD player and watch them separate along with satellite or over the air on other TV.