Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-11-2020, 11:56 AM   #21

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbs View Post
Hi
Thanks for the tip, would you identify which solenoid you replaced? I have a few relays but the only solenoid I know of is the starter.

Thanks again for the help, this is battery issue is quite frustrating as I am sure you know.
Relays and solenoid are the same thing depending on who is telling the story.

Old 02-11-2020, 12:44 PM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Compass 23 TB
State: Ontario
THOR #13224
The way I know if the use/store switch is on or off is to unplug from shore power turn on the interior lights and then flip the switch and when the lights go out you know its off.
Remember to turn the lights.
Coveman2
Old 02-11-2020, 01:25 PM   #23
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Don't forget "contactors".
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 08:02 PM   #24

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
I am sorry folks....I just need a simple honest answer please. I have a Thor 2018 25.1 replaced the sucky factory battery as it went bad when repairs were being made at Ganders in the Florida pan handle. I was under the impression that when the coach is plugged in the chassis battery is being trickle charged.....I this wrong or right. As my brand new battery after 3 weeks dead dead dead. Hooked my trickle charger up to it and back up.
Again my question does not the shore power via the coach trickle charge the chassis battery? If not you all just put a external trickle charge when stored?

Thank you

Brett Imlah
Pace, FL
We have a 2016 25.2 and discovered that the BIRD was wired backwards so the TROMBETTA wasn't engaging to charge the chassis battery. Dealer said "nope, everything was fine" but I still had a dead battery, even though plugged into to shore power. After correcting the BIRD connections my COACH batteries show a charge, then after a few minutes, my chassis battery also charges... I havent had a dead battery since I performed the corrective surgery...
Old 02-11-2020, 09:19 PM   #25

Model: 25.2 Axis
State: Arizona
THOR #3471
Pictures for the newbys they will appreciate it
Old 02-11-2020, 09:28 PM   #26

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
So is Boondocking or Dry Camping depending on who is writing the RV definitions, and where they were located when the claim was made to have been Boondocking or Dry Camping

I still chuckle every-time I see that thread
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 12:47 AM   #27

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: Georgia
THOR #8078
I can send you info on the relay for the Palazzo but not helpful for you if you have another rig
Old 02-12-2020, 01:02 AM   #28
Mag

Model: 5
THOR #16132
Quote:
Thank you for you timely response. Your right on... I just checked my switch again... and it’s always on when hooked to shore power... I cannot shut it off... light is always on no matter how often I activate it. How does a person know if it’s in store or use mode. This is seriously irritating as I have no idea if the trickle charger is working. Right now I am just going to leave the battery tender on it every time I store. You know I love this coach but this one thing,,, is a thing. Seriously thank you again,

Brett
I have had the same issue. If I dont plug it in then it'll start every time, even if its been sitting for a couple of weeks. If I plug it in the store/use switch is on, which I can't shut off when connected to shore power, the chassis battery is dead and I have to "boost" it from the deepcells.
Old 02-12-2020, 01:18 AM   #29
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Thank you for you timely response. Your right on... I just checked my switch again... and it’s always on when hooked to shore power... I cannot shut it off... light is always on no matter how often I activate it.

Brett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag View Post
If I plug it in the store/use switch is on, which I can't shut off when connected to shore power,
The light is not an indication of the position of the USE/STORE switch; it is simply an indication that the 12 VDC buss has power. If you don't know the position of your USE/STORE switch, unplug the RV and look at the light (assuming you have charged house batteries): OFF = STORE, ON = USE.
Old 02-12-2020, 01:46 AM   #30
Mag

THOR #16132
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
The light is not an indication of the position of the USE/STORE switch; it is simply an indication that the 12 VDC buss has power. If you don't know the position of your USE/STORE switch, unplug the RV and look at the light (assuming you have charged house batteries): OFF = STORE, ON = USE.
The switch doesn't have a written ON/OFF. When its unplugged from shore powered the light is off, no 12V. When I toggle the switch so the light is on, I have 12V. Once I plug it in to shore power, the light is always on but the chassis battery dies. House batteries are good as I use them to boost from the dash switch. If I dont toggle the switch before I drive, no 12V. That make sense?
Old 02-12-2020, 02:02 AM   #31

THOR #13058
Reading the multiple posts this gets a little confusing.

Are we saying for some Thor coaches, or for all Thor coaches that the way the USE/STORE switches are designed... when on Shore Power it will start to drain the Chassis battery?

If so why?

I am assuming what is being described is a defect; and if so; wouldn't it be an obvious recall for service for the appropriate models?
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 02-12-2020, 02:03 AM   #32
Mag

THOR #16132
Quote:
Your chassis battery SHOULD charge as soon as the house batteries are charged to the point that the BIRD or BIN see's enough voltage difference between the house batteries and chassis batteries to tie them together to also charge the chassis batteries.

Now this is assuming that the USE/STORE switch is in USE, the BIRD/BIN is operating correctly and no DC breakers are open.
Whats a BIRD or BIN?
Old 02-12-2020, 02:28 AM   #33

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Automotively, and to shed a little differentiation :
A selonoid is a stand alone device wired directly. You'll see the power in and power out wires, usually of the same, and relatively large, diameter.

A relay is a unit that plugs into a receptacle and is easily swapped out without touching wires. You'll see nothing discernable(just an enclosure) until you unplug it, then you see only male pins.

It's not a hard, fast, rule.
It's an easy way to not confuse people by getting caught up in histories and symantics.

I didn't type this to argue.
I typed it so newbs can LOOK and see what we are talking about.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 02:49 AM   #34

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag View Post
Whats a BIRD or BIN?
BIRD = BI DIRECTIONAL RELAY DELAY. It monitors voltage from the COACH batteries, the CHASSIS batteries, and the CHASSIS IGNITION.

If either set of batteries are above 13.1v it closes the TROMBETTA RELAY and connects the COACH and CHASSIS batteries to allow charging both sets (from shore power and your converter). When either battery drops below 12.8v, the relay opens separating the batteries and protecting the chassis battery from draining. If the batteries are below 12.8, but if there is voltage on the IGN lead (signifying the engine and alternator are running) the relay closes allowing the alternator to charge all batteries.

On mine, the IGN and the COACH battery leads were reversed so the relay would open when shore power was connected and the chassis battery would not charge.

After I spent an afternoon tracing wires with a multimeter everything works as it should and batteries are charged as the are supposed to be..
Old 02-12-2020, 02:53 AM   #35
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Reading the multiple posts this gets a little confusing.

Are we saying for some Thor coaches, or for all Thor coaches that the way the USE/STORE switches are designed... when on Shore Power it will start to drain the Chassis battery?

If so why?

I am assuming what is being described is a defect; and if so; wouldn't it be an obvious recall for service for the appropriate models?
No, a properly functioning coach isolates the house and chassis batteries regardless of the position of the USE/STORE switch or house battery DISCONNECT switch.

Chassis battery should never drain for the same amount of time that a normal car battery won't drain while sitting.

Most coaches have a mechanism that ties the house and chassis batteries together if there is a charging source such as the engine alternator or the 120 VAC to 12 VDC converter. This is accomplished by the BIRD (Battery Isolation Relay Delay) system with Trombetta solenoid or the BIM (Battery Isolation Manager).

These have failure points as well as faulty installation/wiring problems at times.
Old 02-12-2020, 01:42 PM   #36

THOR #13058
Quote:
No, a properly functioning coach isolates the house and chassis batteries regardless of the position of the USE/STORE switch or house battery DISCONNECT switch.

Chassis battery should never drain for the same amount of time that a normal car battery won't drain while sitting.

Most coaches have a mechanism that ties the house and chassis batteries together if there is a charging source such as the engine alternator or the 120 VAC to 12 VDC converter. This is accomplished by the BIRD (Battery Isolation Relay Delay) system with Trombetta solenoid or the BIM (Battery Isolation Manager).

These have failure points as well as faulty installation/wiring problems at times.
Ted the system won't allow me to thank you enough for all of your help It must come natural to you; so you don't seek anyway. Just know I am grateful to posters like you and Mo Mike as I have copied verbatim your last two posts to my cheat sheets notes under Batteries & Use / Store in my SOP.
Old 02-12-2020, 02:13 PM   #37
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Ted the system won't allow me to thank you enough for all of your help It must come natural to you; so you don't seek anyway. Just know I am grateful to posters like you and Mo Mike as I have copied verbatim your last two posts to my cheat sheets notes under Batteries & Use / Store in my SOP.
Thanks for the accolades. I just like to help when I can.