Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-18-2020, 10:01 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 24.1 Vegas
State: Florida
THOR #15325
Chassis battery

I am sorry folks....I just need a simple honest answer please. I have a Thor 2018 25.1 replaced the sucky factory battery as it went bad when repairs were being made at Ganders in the Florida pan handle. I was under the impression that when the coach is plugged in the chassis battery is being trickle charged.....I this wrong or right. As my brand new battery after 3 weeks dead dead dead. Hooked my trickle charger up to it and back up.
Again my question does not the shore power via the coach trickle charge the chassis battery? If not you all just put a external trickle charge when stored?

Thank you

Brett Imlah
Pace, FL

Old 01-18-2020, 10:17 PM   #2

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
You'll get no charge if the Store/Use switch is set to Store. Bet that's your problem.
Old 01-18-2020, 10:27 PM   #3

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
THOR #15553
Some do. Some don't. Chassis battery shouldn't be going dead.
Old 01-19-2020, 01:58 AM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Your chassis battery SHOULD charge as soon as the house batteries are charged to the point that the BIRD or BIN see's enough voltage difference between the house batteries and chassis batteries to tie them together to also charge the chassis batteries.

Now this is assuming that the USE/STORE switch is in USE, the BIRD/BIN is operating correctly and no DC breakers are open.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 02:56 PM   #5

THOR #15325
Batteries

Thank you for your response it makes perfect sense. My store/use switch is a momentary switch when on "use" the light is on - when in storage is it supposed to be off; no light? I am not sure why I have such a metal block with this switch. Thank you again for your help

Brett
Old 01-19-2020, 03:22 PM   #6

THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
Thank you for your response it makes perfect sense. My store/use switch is a momentary switch when on "use" the light is on - when in storage is it supposed to be off; no light? I am not sure why I have such a metal block with this switch. Thank you again for your help

Brett
You are having a mental block just as all non-electric type people do.

It is a small switch the controls a large switch. You need a little tech savEy to understand it. ADD to the fact that all manufactures do not wire it the same way. On some the light only indicates that there is power available AND DOES NOT INDICATE ON OR OFF.
Old 01-19-2020, 04:23 PM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
I realize you may have your answer, but I would be concerned as to what is causing your chassis battery to drain seemingly so fast? There is something draining on it. The question should be what is it and why? While some parasitic drain on house batteries can be expected, I would NOT expect on my chassis battery.

Also, when your chassis battery was dead could you start by using the "emergency start switch"?

I have not had the problem you described but my RV is at the Dealer as we speak to have a new Disconnect Switch on the chassis. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-SUV-RV-...72.m2749.l2649

There are other ways to do and you may do yourself, but for the low cost, I am having the Dealer professionally install in my battery compartment. I plan to use if I am ever in situation of expected extended non use; and no shore power available. It would just be a simple guarantee of no parasitic drain on Chassis battery. In theory your Store / Use switch does the same for House battery; thus it seemed to be okay when set to store with no parasitic drain on your house. Note: It is possible for some parasitic drain to be on House battery as well depending upon how wired.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 04:25 PM   #8

THOR #15325
Use store switch

Thank you for you timely response. Your right on... I just checked my switch again... and it’s always on when hooked to shore power... I cannot shut it off... light is always on no matter how often I activate it. How does a person know if it’s in store or use mode. This is seriously irritating as I have no idea if the trickle charger is working. Right now I am just going to leave the battery tender on it every time I store. You know I love this coach but this one thing,,, is a thing. Seriously thank you again,

Brett
Old 01-20-2020, 02:52 AM   #9

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Washington
THOR #16229
This is also my problem. Brand new battery and already losing charge. I was also told the same information. Chassis battery charged when driving. House batteries should charge chassis battery. And then i was told about the switch that should stop the charge so it wont lose the charge. But this button is only found on diesel engines.
Im definitely not able to explain in detail about all the confusion ive experienced. Brand new 2019 29m windsport. Had i known it would be this much work, i would not have purchased. No one has the right answer and everything seems to be a work a round.
Old 01-25-2020, 07:20 PM   #10

Model: ACE 29.4
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #6457
On or Off ???

Quote:
I am sorry folks....I just need a simple honest answer please. I have a Thor 2018 25.1 replaced the sucky factory battery as it went bad when repairs were being made at Ganders in the Florida pan handle. I was under the impression that when the coach is plugged in the chassis battery is being trickle charged.....I this wrong or right. As my brand new battery after 3 weeks dead dead dead. Hooked my trickle charger up to it and back up.
Again my question does not the shore power via the coach trickle charge the chassis battery? If not you all just put a external trickle charge when stored?

Thank you
f?
Brett Imlah
Pace, FL
Is your Store / Use switch on or ofF
Old 01-25-2020, 07:25 PM   #11
Kbs

Model: Quantum pd31
THOR #12223
Same issue

Hi
Same issue can’t find parasitic load on the chassis battery. Added a battery cutoff between the ground post of the battery and ground strap. Seems to work.
Old 01-26-2020, 12:30 AM   #12

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Newmar Ventana LE
State: Tennessee
THOR #16834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbs View Post
Hi
Same issue can’t find parasitic load on the chassis battery. Added a battery cutoff between the ground post of the battery and ground strap. Seems to work.
I do not think our chassis battery is charged when connected to shore power.

The chassis battery can be drained by ECM and other small current drains if it is not disconnected when you store your RV. Some things that I found the hard way that drain mine:
  • ECM has a 10 minute shutdown period after turning off the engine.
  • Remote keyless door locks for the 2 front doors
  • Front Chassis Dome lights.
When I first got our MH, I didn't know any better to use the chassis battery disconnect and learned the hard way, the night before we were to leave on a trip. Since my MH is kept in a secure storage lot with no power available for a trickle charger, I pull the chassis disconnect (have to wait 10 minutes or next time to start you get a Check Engine light). In warm weather, it's not so much an issue, but these cold temps don't help it keep the power needed to crank the diesel.

When I store the MH, I most always flip the Use/Store toward Store and pull the chassis disconnect. Haven't had any problems, since.
Old 01-26-2020, 02:09 AM   #13

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
I have no idea why your battery has gone dead, but have a suggestion for the USE/STORE switch. I keep my motor home in the driveway always hooked up to shore power. Whenever I go inside the coach, I hit the button to USE. Whenever I leave the coach, I hit the button to USE. It is almost like an OCD thing. The only time I hit the button to STORE is when I am working in the battery compartment.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 03:17 PM   #14

Model: Freedom Elite 30FE
State: Virginia
THOR #15404
I have a 2019 Freedom Elite had the same problem - chassis battery was going dead everytime we parked for some time - I also replaced the stock battery with a much better one and it immediately went dead too. Turns out the issue was a bad solenoid which was basically allowing the chassis battery to drain constantly. Replaced a $50 solenoid and things are good again...
Old 01-27-2020, 04:26 PM   #15
Kbs

Model: Quantum pd31
THOR #12223
Solenoid?

Hi
Thanks for the tip, would you identify which solenoid you replaced? I have a few relays but the only solenoid I know of is the starter.

Thanks again for the help, this is battery issue is quite frustrating as I am sure you know.
Old 01-27-2020, 09:58 PM   #16

Model: Freedom Elite 30FE
State: Virginia
THOR #15404
From the work order at the shop "engine battery boost solenoid is passing .5 volts to house side even if battery disconnect is off. Replaced battery solenoid."
Old 01-28-2020, 11:54 AM   #17

Model: Quantum RQ29
State: Ohio
THOR #13648
Quote:
Thank you for you timely response. Your right on... I just checked my switch again... and it’s always on when hooked to shore power... I cannot shut it off... light is always on no matter how often I activate it. How does a person know if it’s in store or use mode. This is seriously irritating as I have no idea if the trickle charger is working. Right now I am just going to leave the battery tender on it every time I store. You know I love this coach but this one thing,,, is a thing. Seriously thank you again,

Brett
The light on my switch is always on when plugged in to shore power also. If I unplug shore power the light will be off if the switch is not on. I always turn my switch on before plugging in. Unplug your shore power and see if your light is still on.
Old 01-29-2020, 01:37 AM   #18

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: Georgia
THOR #8078
My Palazzo has a trombetta relay/solenoid in the compartment with the inverter box. This relay connects the chassis and house battery bank circuits s together after a 1 minute delay. Mine went bad and 1)did not allow shore power to charge the chassis battery;
2)did not allow the chassis alternator to charge the house batteries while underway. I replaced the relay and that solved the charging problem. However that does not explain why your chassis battery is losing its charge so quickly.
Old 02-11-2020, 06:37 AM   #19

Model: Axis 25.5
State: California
THOR #18046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
You'll get no charge if the Store/Use switch is set to Store. Bet that's your problem.
Were is that switch.
Old 02-11-2020, 11:51 AM   #20

THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campnketch View Post
Were is that switch.
Near the door. Over head, down low in the steps. Provided your in a MH. Don't know why they are not in trailers. The switch controls a relay that disconnects the battery. the relay is tuff to find. Usually near the battery.