Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2018, 08:05 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
I do it monthly since my coach stays plugged in 24/7. As Bob indicated, the cycling up and down is what causes most of the evaporation. Normal cars and pickups don't go through the deep cycles that an RV or boat do.

Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 08:44 PM   #22

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
All flooded lead acid batteries heat up when being charged. Charging these batteries with more than 10 amps per 100 amp hours battery capacity causes some of the charging current to dissociate the water in the batteries into hydrogen and oxygen. Of course, the dissociation is gets worse at the batteries internal temperature rises. Hit two 12 volt - 75 amp hour batteries with 50 amps for a couple hours and you are going to loose water. Those guys that equalize their batters regularly loose much more water during the process, because it is the hydrogen and oxygen bubbles that do the equalization.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 10:33 PM   #23
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Isn't that why a low-powered Battery Maintainer is the best type to use?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 09:22 PM   #24

Model: Freedom Elite 24FE
State: Oklahoma
THOR #11869
? Answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubjaysnest View Post
This is a hard question to answer since it varies from model to model and within a model line.
The computer(s) that Ford install for the engine are powered all the time for sure. on our Axis the camera splitter is powered all the time.

There is also line from the parking break and something that looks at if the coach is in park that feeds the camera system to turn on the radio.

Batteries also self discharge about 1 to 3 percent a month.
I have a Mercedes Chassis Thor 2018 that had the chassis battery dying, even after replacement by Mercedes. What I found was, one of the overhead buttons by the lights was depressed (on). I turned that off and no further problem. The button was depressed but no light was on.
Old 07-28-2018, 09:48 PM   #25
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I'm sorry that you've got a light out...
But glad that you found the source of the problem!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 10:35 PM   #26

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
M-B does not allow anything that they didn't design connected to the starting (chassis battery), so the converter will never charge the chassis battery. As why the Motorcraft chassis battery goes dead in three weeks, there are several things that draw chassis battery to keep the memory alive in the coach's computers. Three of the many are the engine computer, the transmission computer and the dash radio computer. They are all learning computers, so if remove the power to the computers by a battery switch after 45 minutes all memory will be lost. The engine will run rough, the transmission will shift somewhat indecisively and the radio will have no memory. A driving for a while (300 to 600 miles), the engine computer will adapt to your driving style, the transmission will figure what vehicle it is attached to and the radio will have to be manually reprogrammed. Of course there could be a phantom draw like the mirror heat is on or some light in the front cap.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 12:28 AM   #27

State: North Carolina
THOR #11045
not sure what the problem is but we added a disconnect to the chassis battery for when we are parked and this safety measure resolves all problems.