Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-03-2017, 05:43 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Surge protector, Internal or external

I already bought an external sure protector (plug in type). In fact it was the first "purchase" I made after I bought the coach (well after the bug screens)

I am thinking, since I am now more familiar with the coach wiring and setup, that the internal wired in type might be better..

Any thoughts from you "pros" out there. I am sure that I am not the only one that has thought about this....

Old 04-03-2017, 05:57 PM   #2

Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
To me is boils down to a matter of "what do I want to spend". On my first two RVs (fivers) I had them hard wired in. Since I had RV techs do the work it was more than twice the expense. On my MH I am just using the external plug in which gives me the same protection but just less cost.

I have a lock box on it but I guess someone could still steal it if they wanted to bad enough, that would be the only down side.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 07:15 PM   #3

State: Illinois
THOR #5112
i have external. if i am going to be around where i am at i just plug it into the pole. if i am going to be gone a lot i plug my extension cord into pole and lay the surge protector on rear wheels out of site out of mind.
Old 04-03-2017, 08:39 PM   #4

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post
I already bought an external sure protector (plug in type). In fact it was the first "purchase" I made after I bought the coach (well after the bug screens)

I am thinking, since I am now more familiar with the coach wiring and setup, that the internal wired in type might be better..

Any thoughts from you "pros" out there. I am sure that I am not the only one that has thought about this....
I looked at both and the deciding factor for me was if there ever was a MAJOR problem, such as a lightening strike, I would prefer to have the surge protector OUTSIDE. I saw a picture of one that got hit by lightening. The only real advantage I could see for one inside was security. I bought a good cable bike lock which eliminates theft by an opportunist. I have no regrets.
Old 04-03-2017, 09:34 PM   #5

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
I've had a portable one, actually 2 the 1st one fried, for 9 years now & I've never locked it down & never had a problem. I chose portable so if/when I trade rvs I don't have to buy another one. Also usually if hardwired they are in some spot that you have to be a contortionist to get to if/when it needs replaced.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 09:35 PM   #6

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
Good points
Old 04-03-2017, 11:28 PM   #7

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
I've had both, have a hard wired now, like having one less thing to mess with when setting up. Over the years I have heard several people say their plugins were stolen, I never locked mine and never had a problem.
Old 04-04-2017, 12:05 AM   #8
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Bottom line, get what works best for you and your wallet; just get one.

I use a portable that is in an enclosed locking housing. It remains attached to and rolled up with the cable. No additional setup required. Plug it into the pedestal verify the lights to ensure there are no pedestal issues and then connect the cable to the coach. Less expensive that permanent, cheaper to replace if necessary, and it stays with me and not the coach at trade in.

Surge protector came in handy twice in the last three years. One campground had a neutral problem at the pedestal which the protector picked up and the last campground had a bad receptacle and breaker.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 12:51 AM   #9

THOR #5196
Dave, from experience we both know that the best thing is having a protector and using it every time, there are problems with campground power everywhere. Doesn't matter what kind of unit you have as long as you use it, bottom line!
Old 04-04-2017, 01:40 AM   #10

Model: Vegas 25.2
THOR #4687
Thanks for all the replies.

As I said, I already have a portable unit, but was thinking that an internal one might be a better choice.

But, after everyone's replies, it doesn't seem like a really good use of money to get another internal one (like there isn't anything thing else out there to spend money on the coach on)
Old 04-27-2017, 12:55 PM   #11

Brand: Still Looking
State: Ontario
THOR #7281
You are right. Because it can guarantee your gadgets security to an extent. But I don't appreciate anyone to completely rely on it because sometimes the heavy voltage spike can break the surge protector itself. Our new PC got damaged when a lightning strike despite the fact that we had a surge protector. We haven't realized that surge protector wasn't working. It is true that surge protector shields the gadgets but it has a limit. When you get a surge protector ensure that it has an indicator to indicate whether it is working or not. Now we had a surge protector brought from Barrie, with indicators. Even then, we unplug the gadgets from the sockets during the lightning.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:21 PM   #12

Model: '17 Hurricane 34F
THOR #6040
I have an external.

I wish my setup was with a thru floor access in the storage compartment so the cord would run from the side of the coach, up into the storage, connect to the EMS, then another cord connects to the EMS, down thru the floor and to the power pole.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:51 PM   #13
Kev

Model: Windsport
State: Florida
THOR #3918
Surge Protector

If price is a factor a Progressive Industries 50 amp portable is 380.00 and the hardwired model is 330.00. So the hardwired model is actually cheaper. Of course that's provided you do your own install which is not that difficult.
Old 04-27-2017, 02:27 PM   #14

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #6877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
If price is a factor a Progressive Industries 50 amp portable is 380.00 and the hardwired model is 330.00. So the hardwired model is actually cheaper. Of course that's provided you do your own install which is not that difficult.
I had my dealer install the unit and glad I did, they did a great job and it was in a tight space behind the breaker panel.
Old 04-27-2017, 04:36 PM   #15

THOR #5196
Surge protectors are kinda like seat belts, they don't work unless you use them, and even then they can't protect against everything! I firmly believe in using both!!!
Old 04-27-2017, 06:44 PM   #16

Model: THOR Axis 25.1
State: Maine
THOR #3986
I have a 30 amp progressive internal surge protector which I wired in just after the transfer switch that way the coach is protected from both the power pole and the gen. I know the gens are pretty reliable in turns of power quality but this was sort of a free bee.