Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-07-2021, 11:35 PM   #1
dlt

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #23753
Cheated by the dealer

Just got 2022 Chateau 22E from bulldog Bakersfield. But on 2nd day of the receiving the RV, we found we were cheated by the dealer. The RV has issue with gas tank tube, the tube is bended, so it causes the cap can screw in. Also I can't plug in the gas nozzle. So it is very difficult to refill gas.

ON the day to delivery the RV, they drove it out twice to refill gas, so they should know both problems. Instead of at the appointment time 3:00, we got the RV after 6, we didn't have time to walk through the RV.

We felt really upset about this, is there anything we can do?

Thanks.

Old 06-08-2021, 12:11 AM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Why did you accept it? You could have walked away without signing. You accepted without a walk through or PDI, you cheated yourself.
Old 06-08-2021, 12:27 AM   #3

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
You weren't cheated in any way by the dealer. You cheated yourself to meet some schedule which was more important than inspecting the vehicle.
I don't pick up even a bucket of chicken without inspecting it before leaving kfc(I bet you dont either).

You have a very minor inconvenience of being at a gas pump for longer than you like.
Any handyman or mechanic shop can fix it easily, tomorrow.
Spend the half hour of labor, send the receipt to Thor, see how good they treat you.

Enjoy yout trip. Do not fixate on this very very minor problem.

The dealer should have caught it. The rocket scientists they use to fuel vehicles might not have the verbal skills or skill factor to have told anyone.

Enjoy.your. trip.
Report back about something good you like which outweighs this gas cap thing.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 12:29 AM   #4

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
You have a 12mo warranty on RV by Thor + 3yr/36,000 miles on chassis by Ford.
Schedule an appointment to repair that and any other malfunction.
Old 06-08-2021, 12:33 AM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I'm sorry that this problem happened to your new RV.
But it will be easy for them to fix it under warranty.
Oh! Welcome to the forum also!
Old 06-08-2021, 12:35 AM   #6

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlt View Post
Just got 2022 Chateau 22E from bulldog Bakersfield. But on 2nd day of the receiving the RV, we found we were cheated by the dealer. The RV has issue with gas tank tube, the tube is bended, so it causes the cap can screw in. Also I can't plug in the gas nozzle. So it is very difficult to refill gas.

ON the day to delivery the RV, they drove it out twice to refill gas, so they should know both problems. Instead of at the appointment time 3:00, we got the RV after 6, we didn't have time to walk through the RV.

We felt really upset about this, is there anything we can do?

Thanks.
Congratulations and please smile, you got a brand new 2022 RV !!!

I know this is your 1st post; so I wish to try to get you to clarify a few points; so others may really chime in to help. I think you will love this site and those who try to help; so please be patient with what you learn.

With that said, I have few questions.

1. What proof do you have that the gas tube is bent? I mean how could it be? Any pictures? I spent 6 hours doing my PDI and I was anal about everything, but I can promise you I did not check the gas tube

2. You can't plug nozzle in? Are you sure you are using the Unleaded gas nozzle? Or are you saying it will NOT go in far enough? What makes it difficult? Diameter too small, only goes in 1 inch etc?

3. Why would they take it out twice to refill with Gas? You didn't have time for PDI, so how did the gas get driven down to cause another refill?

4. Given all that you state why are you mad at Dealer? Assume that they told you of the issue, or you somehow discovered it during PDI, are you saying you would NOT have bought the RV?

5. Given that it was a defective tube they would have to have it repaired, does it matter that they repair it now that you own or after you waited a week before you closed the deal? Unless you think the Dealer bent the tube, it would be a Mfg defect... Right?

Would love to see pictures of this issue with a nozzle plugged in?
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 12:44 AM   #7

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I was wondering if the air pressure is too high on his tires If he drops the air pressure it may lower the chassis and maybe... just maybe the gas tube opening is at better angle to resolve the issue.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 06-08-2021, 12:46 AM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
The PDI is always your last chance to walk away... Ours took 4 1/2 hours, and was worth every second!
Our rig only had 2 tiny issues, and they fixed them as soon as they were found. (Both were minor cosmetic issues)
It is the rarest bird on the Planet: the RV that was built perfectly...
Old 06-08-2021, 12:47 AM   #9
dlt

THOR #23753
We accepted win dealer's service department 10 miles away. Maybe you are right.
But here are some details:

That was Saturday afternoon before Memorial Day. The dealer will be closed next day and the day after.

At 3:00 o'clock, we first were told the RV needs to be filled gas, then they drove out to gas station twice. I am sure they found this issue.

Around 5:30, they did walk through with us. And told us the propane sensor to detect propane tank empty or not was broken, but that was easy fix. Around this issue, we spent most of time. We did ask once where to pump gas, the guy pointed to place was covered by opened door of black and grey tank. And he said something nothing to worry that. I did regret not to take a look.

It later turned out, there is nothing wrong with propane sensor or anything related to propane tank. This is just something they used to cover the real issue.

They were start to leave due to store close time.

I felt this kinds like a setup. But you are right, we did not walk through carefully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Why did you accept it? You could have walked away without signing. You accepted without a walk through or PDI, you cheated yourself.
Old 06-08-2021, 12:50 AM   #10
dlt

THOR #23753
Lessons learned. With not covered by gas cap, would this cause any danger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
You weren't cheated in any way by the dealer. You cheated yourself to meet some schedule which was more important than inspecting the vehicle.
I don't pick up even a bucket of chicken without inspecting it before leaving kfc(I bet you dont either).

You have a very minor inconvenience of being at a gas pump for longer than you like.
Any handyman or mechanic shop can fix it easily, tomorrow.
Spend the half hour of labor, send the receipt to Thor, see how good they treat you.

Enjoy yout trip. Do not fixate on this very very minor problem.

The dealer should have caught it. The rocket scientists they use to fuel vehicles might not have the verbal skills or skill factor to have told anyone.

Enjoy.your. trip.
Report back about something good you like which outweighs this gas cap thing.
Old 06-08-2021, 12:52 AM   #11
dlt

THOR #23753
Thanks. I hope this will be fixed later, but now we were upset because we were lied to.
Anyway, we are planing the trip to Yellowstone. We may visit here often. :-)

Quote:
Old 06-08-2021, 01:04 AM   #12
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
It will all turn out to be worth it..
In the meantime: you did learn a useful tip for the future: Always schedule the PDI for early in the morning, and never let anyone rush you through it..
Old 06-08-2021, 01:04 AM   #13
dlt

THOR #23753
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Congratulations and please smile, you got a brand new 2022 RV !!!

I know this is your 1st post; so I wish to try to get you to clarify a few points; so others may really chime in to help. I think you will love this site and those who try to help; so please be patient with what you learn.

With that said, I have few questions.

1. What proof do you have that the gas tube is bent? I mean how could it be? Any pictures? I spent 6 hours doing my PDI and I was anal about everything, but I can promise you I did not check the gas tube

[dlt] We went to a chevy ( it is chevy chassis, 2022 chateau 22e) The service advisor there told me that.

2. You can't plug nozzle in? Are you sure you are using the Unleaded gas nozzle? Or are you saying it will NOT go in far enough? What makes it difficult? Diameter too small, only goes in 1 inch etc?
[dlt] Yes, it is unleaded gas, I can put it in for a few inch, and when I push it very hard, I can tricking in gas. I spent one hour in Costco to pump 30 gallons. ( I was sorry for the cars behind me)

3. Why would they take it out twice to refill with Gas? You didn't have time for PDI, so how did the gas get driven down to cause another refill?
[dlt] Not sure why, but they did drive out twice. The first time they told me to pump gas. I did not ask the 2nd time. We waited from 3:00 to 5:30 to start walk through,

4. Given all that you state why are you mad at Dealer? Assume that they told you of the issue, or you somehow discovered it during PDI, are you saying you would NOT have bought the RV?
[dlt] I think we will reject it if it is gas tank related issue. Really is the safety concern.

5. Given that it was a defective tube they would have to have it repaired, does it matter that they repair it now that you own or after you waited a week before you closed the deal? Unless you think the Dealer bent the tube, it would be a Mfg defect... Right?
[ldu] At this moment, since we can't return it back. I think mostly is the emotional.

Would love to see pictures of this issue with a nozzle plugged in?
I may take the picture during pump next time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7833.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	31197   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7834.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	31198  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7835.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	31199  
Old 06-08-2021, 01:06 AM   #14
dlt

THOR #23753
The original PDI was scheduled at 2:00, and then they called me to delay it to 3:00. Not sure if there was something related.

Quote:
It will all turn out to be worth it..
In the meantime: you did learn a useful tip for the future: Always schedule the PDI for early in the morning, and never let anyone rush you through it..
Old 06-08-2021, 01:15 AM   #15

THOR #13058
Quote:
I may take the picture during pump next time.
Thank you for the clarifications. You nailed it You will do well on this site. I agree... had I seen that I would have been inclined to wait as well, but more importantly your point that they willfully withheld this information is good standing.

When they do fix it, if your state requires emissions test, make sure they verify it can pass the emissions tests. In fact the Chevy Dealer should be able to provide proof that it passes a current inspection even though it may not need Inspection right now.

I hope you can make Yellowstone before turning it in for repair.

Congrats again on your new RV
Old 06-08-2021, 01:37 AM   #16

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
That looks to me as if someone pulled away from the pump with the nozzle still in the RV.
You'll soon get a
check engine light.
Do not worry. It's related to the gas cap being loose and is no cause for concern.

I'm going to guess my previously mentioned 'not a rocket scientist' did the damage.

Send the picture to the dealer.
Right now.
Old 06-08-2021, 01:38 AM   #17
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
The original PDI was scheduled at 2:00, and then they called me to delay it to 3:00. Not sure if there was something related.
Knowing what you know now:
It's easy to see that they might have been up to something...
Old 06-08-2021, 01:52 AM   #18

THOR #13058
LIKED
Quote:
Right now.
I would not be surprised if the Dealer says it has to go to Chevrolet... That Rocket Scientist at the Dealership may try to take a Blow Torch to soften the gas line; so he can bend it back

Not to worry but OP may wish to get all his valuables out of RV while it is being repaired
Old 06-08-2021, 01:57 AM   #19
dlt

THOR #23753
The space above cap is too small, so it can't rotate in. I did send the pic to dealer's service manager last Friday. Waiting for her reply.

Quote:
That looks to me as if someone pulled away from the pump with the nozzle still in the RV.
You'll soon get a
check engine light.
Do not worry. It's related to the gas cap being loose and is no cause for concern.

I'm going to guess my previously mentioned 'not a rocket scientist' did the damage.

Right now.
Old 06-08-2021, 01:58 AM   #20

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
Great to see the Forum at work!
Solved another mystery.

Tags
dealer, manufacture problem