Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-06-2019, 11:39 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31W
State: Minnesota
THOR #14057
Checklist- set up / pack up. How do you do it?

Hi,

Wondering how you do it: printed list (spreadsheet maybe) vs in your head?

Do you split the list between wife and hubby?

Thanks
JJ

FMCA F496287
JJMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 11:50 PM   #2

Model: 34F
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJMON View Post
Hi,

Wondering how you do it: printed list (spreadsheet maybe) vs in your head?

Do you split the list between wife and hubby?

Thanks
JJ
For me, when I first got into RVing, I got a hardback Notebook (for all the stuff they give you when you take delivery) and the first sheets were for all the steps for setting up the RV then getting it ready for the road and an extra sheet for part numbers on items that change a lot, tire pressures, torques...etc. Also bought a pair of cheapo walkie talkies for like, "ok, I plugged in the water, it's on?" Nowadays I walk around the RV and see if this or that is hooked up, raised or lowered or stowed and if the doors are locked if they should be.
Old 01-06-2019, 11:53 PM   #3

Model: Aria 3901
State: Idaho
THOR #9660
In my head. the wife is hardly involved although she will usually crack me a beer soon after the door opens . I used to think she didn't even pay attention until I started to drive off without the tailgater. I had unhooked it and stowed the cable, and left it sitting beside the coach. She very nicely pointed out that I am not perfect.
Mike
Old 01-07-2019, 12:13 AM   #4

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
I developed an Owners' Manual for my 2015 Vegas that can de downloaded by anyone and used. The link is in the Motorhome Tech Topic area of the forum. It has been viewed over 13,000 times and downloaded about 1700 times.

The manual contains a comprehensive Setup and separate Teardown checklist. It is designed specifically for Vegas/Axis, but it is a good place to start and modify for your particular Model & floorplan.

And by the way -- there is a reason aircrews use a checklist regardless of the thousands of flying hours they have. If you read the list and verify each item on it you cannot screw something up while setting up or packing up -- like forgetting to turn on your water heater or driving off with your antenna extended.

Here is the link for the manual:

https://1drv.ms/w/s!AiYx6DLSeiiP6UNyy_VYGDO0BW6L
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 12:20 AM   #5

THOR #14057
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevedfelker View Post
I developed an Owners' Manual for my 2015 Vegas that can de downloaded by anyone and used. The link is in the Motorhome Tech Topic area of the forum. It has been viewed over 13,000 times and downloaded about 1700 times.

The manual contains a comprehensive Setup and separate Teardown checklist. It is designed specifically for Vegas/Axis, but it is a good place to start and modify for your particular Model & floorplan.

And by the way -- there is a reason aircrews use a checklist regardless of the thousands of flying hours they have. If you read the list and verify each item on it you cannot screw something up while setting up or packing up -- like forgetting to turn on your water heater or driving off with your antenna extended.

Here is the link for the manual:

https://1drv.ms/w/s!AiYx6DLSeiiP6UNyy_VYGDO0BW6L
The previous owner of our rig had a notebook started that was in the pouch with the owners manual. PJ started looking through it when we were at the show where we bought our rig. I wish we would have brought it home with us. At least we have ‘Cliff’ notes.

Thanks
JJ
FMCA F496287
Old 01-07-2019, 12:23 AM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Actually there is science behind the use of a checklist: They reduce errors by a lot (I believe doctors are starting to use them now for that reason).

Alas, however, we just wing it (e.g. memory). When we get to a campsite we setup everything we think we would need and break it all down again when we leave. Invariably I'll forget one thing--its always one. Moving to a motorhome from a 5er or TT did reduce the amount of items on the checklist (unless, of course, you have a toad).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 12:24 AM   #7
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
I use a set of index cards that I select the relevant ones for the trip we are taking...
Two live in the toad - prep for towing and after towing...
The rest live in the RV with topics like:
- Before Driving (tv antenna down, etc)
- Winterize/Dewinterize (not getting much use anymore)
and cards for different types of trips with what to pack - are we just going camping... fishing... flying... each their own card on what to pack.

Ed's manual is also a very good starting point... For this and many other RV related issues!!
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 02:33 AM   #8

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
The checklists that Ed Felker has in his manual are great. I use similar lists.

My trip prep list gives me a guide for things to do and check starting 10 days before departure day. Things that might need parts or a RV tech are first. It makes the last day or two much less frantic.

I keep a short departure checklist right next to the driver seat in our Vegas. If I skip checking it, there's a fair chance that I will forget something. Besides antenna down and gps set, it reminds me that I will want my beverage container full (water or tea), my billfold within reach and all the windows closed, among other things.

I haven't needed reminders to unhook the power cord or connect the brakes on the toad. I haven't needed a checklist for setting up at a campground. Would have been useful when I had my first RV. Those things I just naturally do each time.
Old 01-07-2019, 02:50 AM   #9

THOR #14057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
The checklists that Ed Felker has in his manual are great. I use similar lists.

My trip prep list gives me a guide for things to do and check starting 10 days before departure day. Things that might need parts or a RV tech are first. It makes the last day or two much less frantic.

I keep a short departure checklist right next to the driver seat in our Vegas. If I skip checking it, there's a fair chance that I will forget something. Besides antenna down and gps set, it reminds me that I will want my beverage container full (water or tea), my billfold within reach and all the windows closed, among other things.

I haven't needed reminders to unhook the power cord or connect the brakes on the toad. I haven't needed a checklist for setting up at a campground. Would have been useful when I had my first RV. Those things I just naturally do each time.
Oh this is good too. A pre-departure checklist in advance.

Thanks
JJ
FMCA F496287
Old 01-07-2019, 03:48 AM   #10

THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJMON View Post
Oh this is good too. A pre-departure checklist in advance.

Thanks
JJ
Yeah, make copies or put them in laminated paper, then grease or pencil them off. When you set up, get another checklist and breakout the pencils again.
Old 01-07-2019, 03:55 AM   #11

Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
I have what I call a "Pre Flight Checklist" but rarely look at it anymore. My wife takes care of everything inside and I take care of the rest. Before the coach moves I walk around it at least twice looking and checking.

About 5 years ago we were in Michigan at a nice CG preparing to leave when I heard yelling and a couple horns honking. A fifth wheel was heading out with his awning about half extended.

Nothing beats a good walk around.
Old 01-07-2019, 03:59 AM   #12

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
I prefer to print out a new one each time. That way I can tweak it with improvements. About every day of those final 10 before a trip starts, I have a few tasks to do. I don't necessarily complete every thing on the day listed, but they all need done.

This way I don't forget little things like checking the fridge to make sure it runs and checking the air in the tires. They are only little things until something doesn't work and there isn't time to fix it!
Old 01-07-2019, 04:00 AM   #13

THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsam View Post
I have what I call a "Pre Flight Checklist" but rarely look at it anymore. My wife takes care of everything inside and I take care of the rest. Before the coach moves I walk around it at least twice looking and checking.

About 5 years ago we were in Michigan at a nice CG preparing to leave when I heard yelling and a couple horns honking. A fifth wheel was heading out with his awning about half extended.

Nothing beats a good walk around.
Yeah, think I do bout the same. Onliest things on the ground are the wheels, antenna down and make sure all the doors are shut and locked. Oh yeah, make sure all the inside doors and shut, locked and banded down too. Clean and Rain ex the windshield fore you leave.
Old 01-07-2019, 04:05 AM   #14

THOR #14057
RainX is the best and have been using for years. Great product.
FMCA F496287
Old 01-07-2019, 11:57 AM   #15

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
I like a lot of the ideas here.
We laminated our checklist of what we need to bring.
The walkie talkie is something I want to get, vs yelling okay, and whatnot.
For the antenna, we have a laminated card, goes on the dash in front of the speedometer, it says: antenna up, lol!
Old 01-07-2019, 01:42 PM   #16

Model: Quantum RQ29
State: Ohio
THOR #13648
Not sure at this point, as we have not been able to camp with our new motorhome yet. Going from a TT the big difference is the proper sequence in leveling and opening the slides. I have a hand written note to make sure I do them in proper order right now. I think that's the only list I will need, as everything else is the same thing we've been doing for years. We will soon find out though.
Old 01-07-2019, 01:51 PM   #17

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
I have a printed (easy to access) list of "must-dos" before we drive off. I usually do the outside stuff while the wife does the inside stuff. A simple bottle of shampoo can crack the shower floor if left on a shelf. Our shower door is 3 piece sliding glass that can be slammed backwards if not latched. The sink covers can made a nasty dent in your floor or break if they slide off they counter and all these things can become easily overlooked among the big issues like sewer hoses and power cord. The last and most important issue, in ALL CAPS and RED INK is...LOCK FRIDGE DOOR! A busted jar of pickles or a gallon of milk hitting the floor can become a life changing event. I even made a label and attached to the dash..."CHECK FRIDGE DOOR" as she often wonders around the cabin underway using the fridge. It's a joke we randomly shout out as we move along. You will only make that mistake once.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 02:01 PM   #18

Model: Freedom Elite24FE
State: Texas
THOR #12434
I have traveled with a RV for over 40 years. I still occasionally forget something. My wife and I both do a final walk around before departing.
Old 01-07-2019, 03:05 PM   #19

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
no list - just experience...

and, the really ONLY proof of a completed breakdown is to WALK AROUND THE COACH, even several times, looking up, and looking under it as well, to know that you have taken care of all the important business.

getting in a 'rush' is the single biggest reason that any of us 'forget' something...
slow and steady. Slow and steady. Period.

don't get 'sidetracked' by good-meaning neighbors wanting to converse while you are underway with your breakdown checklist, whether in your hand or your head. They'll understand.

Experience X Time = Confidence and will eventually warrant a good, regular 'list' of procedures that work for you.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 03:32 PM   #20
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I'm a scribbler...
A piece of paper and a pen: it seems to be working so far...
I handle the "outside of the RV" stuff, and the refrigerator; the Missus takes care of food and clothing...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote