Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-20-2016, 10:50 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 27.7
State: Kentucky
THOR #6005
TireMinder Tech Support

I was installing a new 6 wheel TireMinder system today when I ran into a problem...one of the sensors would not recognize the tire it was placed on. I tried it on a different wheel, and then exchanged the battery....still nothing worked, so I called TireMinder.

The person that answered, Mike, helped me find the problem...just a tab needed to be bent a little more for better battery connection. He was very helpful.

But then he went the extra mile, and that is the reason for the post. He had me erase what I had already done...and then he walked me completely through the install step-by-step in about fifteen minutes, a process that would have probably taken me at least an hour trying to read the manual and figure it out as I went along.

Many tech support people would have just solved the initial problem and ended the call.

So for Mike, and for TireMinder, a great big thank you for your help.

Old 12-20-2016, 11:28 PM   #2

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Always nice to hear about great customer service, makes me more inclined to choose something when I hear about it! Thank you for sharing!
Old 12-20-2016, 11:42 PM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
I've used their system for about 6 years with my 5th wheel. They are getting some interference on the mh. Called them up and they said i need a signal booster. Since i was registered with them for the yearly free battery plan they sold me the booster for $35. Normally its $65 which i was ready to pay. Great of them to do that

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 11:50 PM   #4

THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
I've used their system for about 6 years with my 5th wheel. They are getting some interference on the mh. Called them up and they said i need a signal booster. Since i was registered with them for the yearly free battery plan they sold me the booster for $35. Normally its $65 which i was ready to pay. Great of them to do that

Jerry
Curious why you would need a booster, I would think the length on your 5th wheel would be longer.
Old 12-20-2016, 11:55 PM   #5

THOR #3156
They said motohomes can/might have problems due to the mh electronics generator invertor etc.
FMCA # F464385
Old 12-21-2016, 12:31 AM   #6
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
I've had the system about 2 years now... It came with the booster which they said was required to be used.
It's parked in the rearmost bay wired into the 12v (tap off light wiring in bay).

Don't think there even was an option to buy the system without the booster at that point.

Been working great on RV + toad once I got the pressure settings adjusted to avoid false alarms.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 12:57 AM   #7

THOR #3156
When i bought mine the booster was an optional item. I didnt need it for the 5th wheel

If you hooked your Booster up to the 12v light doesnt it stay on all the time possible draining your battery

I plan to tap into the 12v line of the 7 pin trailer plug. This 12v is only live when the key is on

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 12-21-2016, 01:18 AM   #8
gmc

THOR #2829
Yep - seems they removed the 'option' along the way... at least for MH usage.

The recommend leaving it powered all the time... It is on the load side of the disconnect - so it goes off when I turn off the coach disconnect. Of course I can always unplug where I tapped it -but then have to remember to turn it back on.

Of course another inconsistency - my 12v line on the 7 pin plug is always energized... go figure...
Wasn't a good switched source near the rear of the RV to use.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
Old 12-21-2016, 02:48 AM   #9

THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
Yep - seems they removed the 'option' along the way... at least for MH usage.

The recommend leaving it powered all the time... It is on the load side of the disconnect - so it goes off when I turn off the coach disconnect. Of course I can always unplug where I tapped it -but then have to remember to turn it back on.

Of course another inconsistency - my 12v line on the 7 pin plug is always energized... go figure...
Wasn't a good switched source near the rear of the RV to use.
Hmmm now you have me thinking; which is a scary thing. I thought i read ford has the 12v at the plug only hot when the ignition was on. Maybe its hot all the time. We both have hurricanes. The 12v on mine is dead. Its in for warranty work and this is one of the things on the list to fix.

So if they fix it and its hot all the time then i might have to copy you and hook up to a light or run a new wire to the battery and thrn to a switch at the dash. Guess ill see when i got it back from the dealer
FMCA # F464385
Old 12-21-2016, 03:16 AM   #10

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Texas
THOR #3609
Have the booster with mine since new and have not noticed any significance draw from house or starting batteries.... it throws off a cool eerie light to let you know it's working!
Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 03:18 AM   #11

THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squid View Post
Have the booster with mine since new and have not noticed any significance draw from house or starting batteries.... it throws off a cool eerie light to let you know it's working!
Squid
What wire did you tap into to get power
FMCA # F464385
Old 12-21-2016, 04:38 AM   #12

Model: ACE 30.1
THOR #2753
Quote:
When i bought mine the booster was an optional item. I didnt need it for the 5th wheel

If you hooked your Booster up to the 12v light doesnt it stay on all the time possible draining your battery

I plan to tap into the 12v line of the 7 pin trailer plug. This 12v is only live when the key is on

Jerry
Better check on that. When I got my trailer, we found out that THOR never wired up the 7 pin as a 7 pin. Was wired as a 4 or 5 pin. When I got it fixed at the dealer, they kept referring to a 'charge line', I think that's the correct term. There is always power to whichever line is need to make the interior lights work in the trailer. I may not be totally correct but that's how I remember it from this past August.
Old 12-21-2016, 01:50 PM   #13
gmc

THOR #2829
More inconsistencies... lol...
Got me thinking to - so grabbed the voltmeter and checked this morning.
RV is parked - key out - on shore power - and there is a hot 12v in the trailer harness...

I've seen it described as '12v' or 'battery charge'... depends what you use it for - but is a hot 12v all the time on mine.

Mine was properly wired as a full 7 pin - didn't have to change anything when hooking up the toad. In my case, the '12v' feed powers the Invisibrake which also handles charging the toad battery.
(Invisibrake says it can be hooked up to the tail light terminal - that requires a minimum of parking lights to be on to energize.. On the 'always on' feed it powers up as soon as I plug in the toad - and yes - I leave it plugged in on mid-trip overnight stops - doesn't draw enough at idle to hurt anything.)
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
Old 12-21-2016, 03:37 PM   #14

THOR #3156
Ive read several different reports. Some say 12v all the time some say only when the key is on. Most likely from what you say Thor makes it hot all the time. If thats the case i will either tap into the light like you or run a wire to a switch that ill place on the dash (I have 2 blanks spaces available) and then to the battery. This way i can control the power for the booster
FMCA # F464385
Old 12-21-2016, 10:45 PM   #15

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Texas
THOR #3609
I have mine connect to my new house batteries... I have checked with volt meter and the voltage has not changed in the past month. My coach is in the backyard so I always back there playing with it😀
Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 02:13 AM   #16

THOR #3156
Well I got a call from the service writer at the dealer today. First I have to say I'm impressed that I didn't have to wait to get an appointment. Called for appointment and he said bring it in. Dropped it off Friday. He said they probably wont look at it for several days. Have heard so many horror stories about waiting months to get an appointment and months to get the mh back. I told him anytime after new years was fine by me. I'm in no hurry.

SO anyways he said almost everything is done. The 12v wire issue is not going to be fixed. Thor says its Fords problem or I can pay them $450+- to have them hook it up. Before bringing it to the dealer I spoke to Ford. They said it was hooked. If they look at it and find that Thor messed it up during their build I would have to pay them for their time. $300+depending on what they did.

So I don't need the 12v for my toad so I'm leaving it as is. Not working. Not worth the fight with Ford and/or Thor.

SO for the 12v needed for the booster I will but a rocker switch that will be installed on my dash next to the emergency battery switch. I'll run a wire directly to the battery with an inline fuse to this switch. Another wire from the switch to the booster. Not sure where I'll mount the booster yet. The rear compartment like GMC did seems like a good spot. Protected and out of the way. Or maybe to the frame at the rear of the mh. IDK Guess I'll decide once I get the mh back, the switch, and the wire.

Does anyone know what the proper gauge wire would be for a 25-30 ft run and what size fuse should be used. I know the 12v to the plug has a 30amp fuse so I'm thinking that's the proper size. Thanks
Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 12-22-2016, 02:23 AM   #17

Model: Vegas 27.7
State: Kentucky
THOR #6005
Quote:
Well I got a call from the service writer at the dealer today. First I have to say I'm impressed that I didn't have to wait to get an appointment. Called for appointment and he said bring it in. Dropped it off Friday. He said they probably wont look at it for several days. Have heard so many horror stories about waiting months to get an appointment and months to get the mh back. I told him anytime after new years was fine by me. I'm in no hurry.

SO anyways he said almost everything is done. The 12v wire issue is not going to be fixed. Thor says its Fords problem or I can pay them $450+- to have them hook it up. Before bringing it to the dealer I spoke to Ford. They said it was hooked. If they look at it and find that Thor messed it up during their build I would have to pay them for their time. $300+depending on what they did.

So I don't need the 12v for my toad so I'm leaving it as is. Not working. Not worth the fight with Ford and/or Thor.

SO for the 12v needed for the booster I will but a rocker switch that will be installed on my dash next to the emergency battery switch. I'll run a wire directly to the battery with an inline fuse to this switch. Another wire from the switch to the booster. Not sure where I'll mount the booster yet. The rear compartment like GMC did seems like a good spot. Protected and out of the way. Or maybe to the frame at the rear of the mh. IDK Guess I'll decide once I get the mh back, the switch, and the wire.

Does anyone know what the proper gauge wire would be for a 25-30 ft run and what size fuse should be used. I know the 12v to the plug has a 30amp fuse so I'm thinking that's the proper size. Thanks
Jerry
My booster connecting cables came with alligator clips already attached. The instructions stated that the booster could be connected directly to the battery, so I just attached the alligator clips to the house battery cable ends, secured the booster with multiple zip ties, and it is working fine. If the alligator clips fail to hold, I'll cut them off and wire it direct to the terminals. That is not all the way to the rear of the coach, but it seems to be working fine.
Old 12-22-2016, 03:04 AM   #18

THOR #5196
Jerry, you should use at a minimum 10 gauge multi strand wire. For that length I wouldn't go over 20 amp on the fuse, you have a lot of resistance and loss for that long of a run.
Old 12-22-2016, 03:21 AM   #19
gmc

THOR #2829
You are powering just the booster - which is receiving/re-transmitting the signals from the sensors... According to their website - TireMinder Signal Booster Installation Instructions -the draw at 12v is under 25ma... or .025A. A 1A fuse and capable wiring would be more than sufficient.
Quote:
Required Voltage 12v or 24v
Battery Draw - Amerage (12v) 23.7mA
Battery Draw - Amerpage (24v) 11.85mA
The 12v trailer plug can be used for much more than just a TPMS booster - why it would have a heavier fuse.

I hooked to the existing wiring in rear to avoid that long a new run... The low draw is also why I didn't worry about it always being on (when battery is in USE). I would expect you can go lighter than 10 gauge with the much lower amperage - but certainly don't want to go too thin. I expect 14 would be more than adequate...
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
Old 12-22-2016, 03:50 AM   #20

THOR #3156
Thanks guys for the input. I was just on Tire Minders site and read the same thing you posted Greg. It draws very little amps. I think I'll give them a call tomorrow and explain what my plan is and get their input. As usual I'll probably way over thinking things.

Greg,
I don't have my mh here so I cant check this but does the "Store" switch kill the lights in the storage bays????

Jerry
FMCA # F464385