Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-09-2022, 12:49 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 Hurricane 29M
State: California
THOR #3923
City water connection leaks

I connected up to city water on the side of my coach only to later find that it was leaking to the point that water was not only dripping down the outside but behind the slide-out wall.
I removed the wood panel under the sink, and I could see the area was wet including where the rubber flaps where the "bag" is located.

I checked the connection on the inside of the coach and tightened up that, but it's still dripping. It appears to me that the outside city water swivel connection just doesn't seal properly to the hose.

Anyone else have this issue?

Old 09-10-2022, 02:04 AM   #2

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Not sure what the "bag" is you are referring to. Do you have leaks when you use water from the tank rather than direct from the hose? Try your description again and hopefully you'll get a better answer.
Old 09-10-2022, 01:08 PM   #3

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Nevada
THOR #27334
Did you have a pressure regulator on the city water line?

Pull the connection sealing washer/o-ring and make sure it's intact...'supple' and no debrise under it. If damaged or suspect, replacements are very cheap.

More details, pictures, etc about leaking on the inside would be helpful.
widdershins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 01:58 AM   #4

THOR #3923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
Not sure what the "bag" is you are referring to. Do you have leaks when you use water from the tank rather than direct from the hose? Try your description again and hopefully you'll get a better answer.
Under the sink there is a (what is commonly referred to as) the bag. It's a bag that seals the opening that exists that allows the slide-out to slide between the plumbing.

What I'm trying to describe is that when I connect up to the city water the connection leaks...it drips on the outside of the coach and I found water on the inside. Has nothing to do with the tank.
Old 09-11-2022, 05:37 PM   #5

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusplainwacky View Post
Under the sink there is a (what is commonly referred to as) the bag. It's a bag that seals the opening that exists that allows the slide-out to slide between the plumbing.

What I'm trying to describe is that when I connect up to the city water the connection leaks...it drips on the outside of the coach and I found water on the inside. Has nothing to do with the tank.
Sure it does... Mr Sunshine is referring to the piping on the inside of the city water connector, which is pressurized when the pump is running (there is a one-way check valve), so that is why (I assume) they asked if it also leaks with the pump running.
Not hard to remove the few screws and check the whole connector.
Old 09-11-2022, 05:57 PM   #6

THOR #3923
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWEB View Post
Sure it does... Mr Sunshine is referring to the piping on the inside of the city water connector, which is pressurized when the pump is running (there is a one-way check valve), so that is why (I assume) they asked if it also leaks with the pump running.
Not hard to remove the few screws and check the whole connector.
I don't run the pump when I'm connected to City Water...not sure why one would. That's why this issue has nothing to do with the tank.

I understand it's not hard to remove the connector, but I first wanted to see if others have had a problem with this connector, and if they did, I'd replace it at the time same time.
Old 09-11-2022, 07:07 PM   #7
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
I don't run the pump when I'm connected to City Water...not sure why one would. That's why this issue has nothing to do with the tank.

I understand it's not hard to remove the connector, but I first wanted to see if others have had a problem with this connector, and if they did, I'd replace it at the time same time.
Disconnect city water and run the pump to pressurize that same line from the inside to see if it still leaks. If so, remove the 4 outside screws from the city water connection flange and pull it out to see if it is the source of the leak or maybe the attached hose.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 07:11 PM   #8

Model: Hurricane 35m
State: North Carolina
THOR #13505
had same issue in our hurricane

bought a nice replacement off etrailer, problem solved. was easy replacement.

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Water-In...-0175LFVP.html

Quote:
I connected up to city water on the side of my coach only to later find that it was leaking to the point that water was not only dripping down the outside but behind the slide-out wall.
I removed the wood panel under the sink, and I could see the area was wet including where the rubber flaps where the "bag" is located.

I checked the connection on the inside of the coach and tightened up that, but it's still dripping. It appears to me that the outside city water swivel connection just doesn't seal properly to the hose.

Anyone else have this issue?
Old 09-11-2022, 09:31 PM   #9

THOR #3923
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdaddy1111 View Post
had same issue in our hurricane

bought a nice replacement off etrailer, problem solved. was easy replacement.

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Water-In...-0175LFVP.html
That's what I have is the Hurricane...hmmm..

Thanks for the link!
Old 09-11-2022, 11:18 PM   #10

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Michigan
THOR #17235
I had the same problem with my Hurricane 29m. The knurled plastic ring used to tighten the city water fitting is small and very close to the wall and therefore difficult to get adequately tightened. It’s even worse if you just put your straight hose end connector directly into the fitting thus side loading the fitting with the weight of the hose. I use a brass 90° fitting (available on Amazon or at RV stores) which allows the weight of the hose to hang straight down from the fitting and that stopped the leaking. I even let my in-line water filter hang on it too with no leaks.
Old 09-12-2022, 01:30 AM   #11

THOR #3923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibeman View Post
I had the same problem with my Hurricane 29m. The knurled plastic ring used to tighten the city water fitting is small and very close to the wall and therefore difficult to get adequately tightened. It’s even worse if you just put your straight hose end connector directly into the fitting thus side loading the fitting with the weight of the hose. I use a brass 90° fitting (available on Amazon or at RV stores) which allows the weight of the hose to hang straight down from the fitting and that stopped the leaking. I even let my in-line water filter hang on it too with no leaks.
Thanks for confirming all the things I was wondering about. No matter how tight I got it, as soon as I let the hose dangle, it would start dripping...it's that side loading that you refer to...I don't think that plastic connector is strong enough.
Old 09-12-2022, 04:11 AM   #12

State: Texas
THOR #11781
If the hose is dripping on the outside of the coach I wouldn't worry about, just change the rubber washer in the fitting. If it is dripping on the inside of the coach, take out the screws that hold it into the wall of the slide. The fitting should come out enough for you to check the tightness of the water line. You might want to add a wrap of teflon tape to the interior side of the fitting. If you need to replace the fitting, there are pages of them on Amazon as well as the hose elbows and pressure regulators. It is a 5 minute fix.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 07:15 AM   #13

THOR #3923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
If the hose is dripping on the outside of the coach I wouldn't worry about, just change the rubber washer in the fitting. If it is dripping on the inside of the coach, take out the screws that hold it into the wall of the slide. The fitting should come out enough for you to check the tightness of the water line. You might want to add a wrap of teflon tape to the interior side of the fitting. If you need to replace the fitting, there are pages of them on Amazon as well as the hose elbows and pressure regulators. It is a 5 minute fix.
I had it dripping on the outside and also in the inside. As I mentioned, I discovered water under the sink that was dripping down the rubber flaps leading to the outside. I removed the "bag" as it was getting caught up on stuff.
Old 09-13-2022, 03:39 AM   #14

State: Texas
THOR #11781
Quote:
I had it dripping on the outside and also in the inside. As I mentioned, I discovered water under the sink that was dripping down the rubber flaps leading to the outside. I removed the "bag" as it was getting caught up on stuff.
Did you take the 'bag' completely out? I thought about it, but...
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 06:30 AM   #15

THOR #3923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
Did you take the 'bag' completely out? I thought about it, but...
I did and I re-routed the flexible drainpipe so that it didn't rub on the edges of the cabinet. I have a whole write-up about it that you can look-up.

What happened was that I was moving the slide-out when I heard this wood cracking and my better-half noticed that the countertop was lifting up. Needless to say, I immediately stopped and reversed direction.

I removed the thin panel under the stink to see what was going on, and I discovered that the bag had caught on part of the cabinet. I also felt it was a crappy design.

I noticed the sink drain hose was sliding along the corner of the cabinet and it would be only a matter of time that the hose would fail. I ended up taking a piece of plastic, heating it up and bending it around the cabinet frame so if the hose ever hits it, it will slide. I then relocated the drain hose so it would curl up (or out) as the side went in and out.
Old 09-23-2022, 11:06 PM   #16

THOR #3923
I took off the connector, hooked it up to a hose, and it didn't leak, but if I put the slightest pressure (simulating the weight of a hose hanging), sure enough, it' starts leaking like crazy. What a piece of crap.

In looking on Amazon for one...I see they have ones that are brass, with just a plastic cover. My question is, what size is the connection on the inside hose? Is that 1/2"?
Old 09-24-2022, 12:23 AM   #17
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
I took off the connector, hooked it up to a hose, and it didn't leak, but if I put the slightest pressure (simulating the weight of a hose hanging), sure enough, it' starts leaking like crazy. What a piece of crap.

In looking on Amazon for one...I see they have ones that are brass, with just a plastic cover. My question is, what size is the connection on the inside hose? Is that 1/2"?
Yep. 1/2" FPT.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 12:46 AM   #18

THOR #3923
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Yep. 1/2" FPT.