Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-04-2021, 09:57 PM   #1

State: California
THOR #22070
Class C Motorhome

My wife and I are looking at doing some travelling and thought we would like to do some RV touring but have no idea what to buy. We have been looking at a few online and have seen a few we like. Most of what we find are gas and not diesel. We want something that isnt a pig on fuel. Any suggestions on good, bad or ugly on fuel

Old 02-04-2021, 10:26 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
The mileage differential on diesel vs gas is offset by maintenance cost and fuel Price on the diesel.

For a new diesel to pull ahead financially you're at about 250,000 miles for break even and another 250,000 to get ahead.
This is a round about figure.
Others will say differently. Have them show you the math on when it breaks even, because they must have made the purchase based on some tables they constructed.

As for a class b or c;
Wide folks or tall folks will have a devilish time going from cab to coach.
Add in a bad knee or bad hip or bad attitude and it takes out all the fun.

Some people love them.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 11:53 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
How about an RV based on the Mercedes Sprinter chassis?
We get 14 to 16 mpg with ours.
And welcome to our campfire!
Old 02-05-2021, 12:31 AM   #4

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary E M View Post
My wife and I are looking at doing some travelling and thought we would like to do some RV touring but have no idea what to buy. We have been looking at a few online and have seen a few we like. Most of what we find are gas and not diesel. We want something that isnt a pig on fuel. Any suggestions on good, bad or ugly on fuel

Your engine options are limited somewhat by motorhome size. In smaller Cs you can get a Mercedes Sprinter which are good on fuel, but I expect total cost of ownership is higher. Motorhomes aren’t driven enough miles on average to offset higher initial cost. Ford has been out of diesel Transit, so their offering is now gasoline also in the smaller rigs.

At very large end of Class Cs you can find diesel Super Cs. They are much higher in price and fuel economy is good, but larger size limits fuel economy to less than Spinters.

The vast majority of Class Cs in middle of size range have gasoline engines, and most are built on Ford E-Series with a 7.3L V8. That’s the most popular RV chassis. Fuel economy will be between 8 and 10 MPG for the most part, depending on motorhome size, how fast you drive, and also terrain.

I care about fuel economy, but would not presently own a diesel. Large commercial diesels make sense due to fuel economy and durability, but for small motorhomes driven an average of around 5,000 miles annually, higher initial cost is difficult for me to justify.
Old 02-05-2021, 01:18 AM   #5

Model: Miramar 37.1
THOR #12698
Welcome to the forum. You need to decide on what you feel comfortable with the interior and drivability. I have owned two MB Sprinter Chassis motor homes and it fits us just right. They are easy to drive and are easy on the fuel(diesel). They can be higher on maintenance than gas units. My current motor home is a 2018 Thor Siesta 24SS built on a Mercedes Benz Sprinter Chassis. We drive it as much as possible. I have put on about 25,000 miles since buying it new in Feb. 2018. We take short weekend trips and long cross country trips with no worries. There are a lot of easy modifications that each owner can do to make it better for themselves which we in the forum pass on to others. When you get closer to narrowing it down to make/model/year bring your questions/concerns here and some one will be able to guide you through it.

Good luck and Happy Hunting
Paul
Old 02-05-2021, 02:15 AM   #6

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
If you are worried about fuel economy no RV is gonna make you happy. Saving the planet and travelling in an RV are not in the same equation.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 03:15 AM   #7

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
I drive the Tuscany MH to the desired camp ground or boondocking site and park

Then all trips and sightseeing are either in the Escape or F150

By staying longer and driving the towed further I burn a bit less Diesel

The main reason us to minimize setting up although it takes way less time than our 5th wheels or TT did, simply more relaxing to stay a minimum of three or more days

I will average around 7.5 mpg which is better than my 460 engines did prior to FI
Old 02-05-2021, 04:14 AM   #8

Model: XG 32 Omni
State: Missouri
THOR #4243
I have had gas class C's and now have a Diesel super C on the F 550 chassis. I would not go back to a gasser. It's not about the fuel mileage ,which the diesel does do better on MPG, but only by 4 or 5 MPG. But the power is so much better especially in the mountains, towing or in a strong head wind, can't beat the diesel. And the super C's drive and handle so much better.
The down side. Diesel powered C's and super C's cost more, than a gas powered C.
Old 02-05-2021, 11:45 AM   #9

Model: Aria
State: New Jersey
THOR #17864
I just tried posting this and it failed - so here it goes again!

We have had four RV's over the last 15 years - 1 28Ft Class C with one slide, 1 28Ft Class C with 2 slides, 1 34 ft gas Class A, and our current 40 ft diesel Class A.

We found the most important things for us to consider were:

1) Floor plan - this is everything from the size of the bed, the location of the bathroom, and kitchen counter size. Unfortunately, you have to live in the RV for awhile to really know what to you like and don't like. This got us from 1 slide to 2 slides and then into a Class A.

2) Size - This relates to floor plans, but you also need to know what you feel the most comfortable driving. Towing A fifth wheel (although I have never done it) is different than driving a large Class A towing a car. Size may also limit camping choices, especially in many state and federal parks. The length of your trips and how "agile" you want to be is may also be a factor. Many people love Class B’s for this reason.

3) What do you want to drive when you get there? Fifth wheels have this solved. Class B's too if you don't mind packing and unpacking a little. But once you get above 30ft you will need to consider towing something for your excursions or renting a car locally.

4) Engine size, power and noise - we didn't know how much quieter a rig was with the engine in the back rather than between us. That really sold us on a diesel and well worth the difference in price to us.

There are probably dozens of more things to consider but these became the main ones for us.

Good luck in your search. If you find something that you like this is a great place to ask others if they have owned it and what their experiences are.
Blue Ox Tow Kit
Newf026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 12:02 PM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I agree: Floorplan first, and figure out the rest after that.
Old 02-13-2021, 08:13 PM   #11

Model: Chateau V25
THOR #19470
I've got a 2019 Thor Chateau V25 with a fuel economy average 8mpg. Ford E350 V10.

Cab Size: I'm 6'5 and it's terrible getting in/out from the coach/cab. Also because of the slide being immediately behind the passenger seat, I can't push it back far enough. Leg room is bad also and my right leg has no place to rest because it's too far from the doghouse. I wish I had driven it more - prob would have went with the Class A Axis with same floorplan.
puppygeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 08:15 PM   #12

Model: Chateau V25
THOR #19470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Totally agree !!!
puppygeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 09:01 PM   #13

Model: Sprinter four winds
State: Georgia
THOR #14780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary E M View Post
Sprinter diesel, a solid comfortable ride with little sway. Our biggest problem was couch or dinette so don’t forget the wife and the floor plan.
Old 02-13-2021, 09:41 PM   #14

State: Florida
THOR #2228
Super C F550 Ford chassis with Powerstroke 6.7 diesel. Best outfit to purchase 1.5 bath full household refrigerator tons of storage. Can't leave a Wal-Mart or campground without people stopping me.
Old 02-13-2021, 10:04 PM   #15

Model: Omni sv34
State: Minnesota
THOR #20471
We have a 2021 Omni sv34, great RV.
Get compliments on it all the time.
Lots of power, easy to drive.
Old 02-14-2021, 04:45 AM   #16

State: Washington
THOR #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
X2 floor plan is really important. You are going to spend more time in the house of the RV then behind the wheel.
Old 02-14-2021, 03:46 PM   #17

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Ford Super C’s have a wonderful drive train and some excellent safety and convenience features but also a number of drawbacks that need to be considered. Don’t get too narrow in the early part of your search. There are lots of options and shopping is part of the fun.