Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-26-2020, 01:16 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 30FE
State: Massachusetts
THOR #17264
House Battery Recommendations

Hello I have a 2017 Thor 30 FE with (1) 12volt House battery with room for at least 2 batteries. Looking to purchase 2 new "best of breed" batteries as we will be doing a lot of dry camping this summer.

Any recommendations for batteries ( manufacturer and type ).

Question 2 - Why does my Chasis Radio and Camera run off the House Battery and not Chasis battery?

Old 03-26-2020, 01:25 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny33 View Post
Question 2 - Why does my Chasis Radio and Camera run off the House Battery and not Chasis battery?
So that you can listen to the radio while parked and camping without turning the key to ACC.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 01:47 PM   #3

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
If you are going to do a lot of boondocking, I would replace the 12V battery with two 6V Golf Cart batteries connected in series. They are designed to be deeply discharged and will be your best option.

My coach has two 6V batteries and room for four. I just picked up two of these Duracell's from Batteries Plus.

https://www.batteriesplus.com/productdetails/sligc125

They are made in the US (Pennsylvania) and not China and are reasonably priced. You can get higher capacity versions if you want to spend closer to $200 each. You can also get a 10% discount coupon if you order online and pick up at your local store.

I was going to go with the Interstate 6V Golf Cart batteries that Costco sells but the reviews on them were not that great. The Duracell's are $35 more and worth it in my opinion.
Old 03-26-2020, 02:07 PM   #4
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
If you are going to do a lot of boondocking, I would replace the 12V battery with two 6V Golf Cart batteries connected in series. They are designed to be deeply discharged and will be your best option.

My coach has two 6V batteries and room for four. I just picked up two of these Duracell's from Batteries Plus.

https://www.batteriesplus.com/productdetails/sligc125

They are made in the US (Pennsylvania) and not China and are reasonably priced. You can get higher capacity versions if you want to spend closer to $200 each. You can also get a 10% discount coupon if you order online and pick up at your local store.

I was going to go with the Interstate 6V Golf Cart batteries that Costco sells but the reviews on them were not that great. The Duracell's are $35 more and worth it in my opinion.
Or get them from SamsClub and save $50 a battery.

https://www.samsclub.com/p/duracell-...lp_product_1_1
Old 03-26-2020, 02:14 PM   #5

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Or get them from SamsClub and save $50 a battery.

https://www.samsclub.com/p/duracell-...lp_product_1_1

Actually, that is not the same battery as the one I posted. It is only 215AH and it is a lower grade battery.

The one I posted is a 235AH battery and the Ultra Pro model. I think this one is better suited for a lot of dry camping.

The Sam's Club one can still do a good job. This is also similar to the Interstate that Costco sells. It just depends on how much you plan to be running on the batteries.... and how much you are willing to spend.
Old 03-26-2020, 02:41 PM   #6
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Actually, that is not the same battery as the one I posted. It is only 215AH and it is a lower grade battery.

The one I posted is a 235AH battery and the Ultra Pro model. I think this one is better suited for a lot of dry camping.

The Sam's Club one can still do a good job. This is also similar to the Interstate that Costco sells. It just depends on how much you plan to be running on the batteries.... and how much you are willing to spend.
You're correct, I didn't notice the difference. But SamsClub does have the Extra 230 AH Duracells for $125:

https://www.samsclub.com/p/duracell-...elevance.rr0_1
Old 03-26-2020, 08:23 PM   #7

Model: A.C.E 27.2
State: Louisiana
THOR #17883
As mentioned golf cart batteries should do well. You could check pricing with a golf cart dealer, or places like Battery Warehouse.

The top of the line golf cart batteries are Trojan, Crown and US Battery.

One thing about GC batteries is you should never discharge them below 50% or they can be damaged. Same goes for any deep cycle battery.

SOC chart below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Johnnie_BChart.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	23063  
Old 03-26-2020, 10:14 PM   #8

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
6 Volts

Or you could commit more funds and get 6 volt AGMs. Virtually no maintenance which was important to me.
Old 04-01-2020, 06:28 PM   #9

Brand: DRV
State: Texas
THOR #9543
The one thing that I would add is, look for a sealed, AGM, maintenance free battery.
2017 36RSSB3--2012 F350 KR, LWB, SRW, bilsteins, 1 1/4" anti sway bar, bilstein steering stabilizer, airlift air bags, on board wireless compressor, 295/20 tires at 4080 pounds each, oversized finned aluminum diff and trannie pans, all synthetic fluids; KEM, Tyrant, and PIP tunes with SCT X4 programming, G37 2017 Turbo, ATS Stage I towing transmission and torque convertor, Edge CTS gauge monitoring.
clev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 06:39 PM   #10

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
AGMs

Quote:
Originally Posted by clev View Post
The one thing that I would add is, look for a sealed, AGM, maintenance free battery.
Yes, as stated AGMs are sealed and maintenance free in comparison to flooded cell batteries which are cheaper and a PITA.
Old 04-01-2020, 06:39 PM   #11

Model: Windstar 34E
State: Alberta
THOR #1571
If you are truly wanting 'Best of Breed', then you need to seriously look at Lithium Iron Phosphate ( LiFePO4 ) batteries. Yes, they are expensive up front. But if you plan on keeping your rig for years, and do lots of dry camping, these batteries will be more cost effective long term. A 100 AH battery will give you almost that full 100 Amps versus only about 50 Amps for older technology batteries. They can also be charged must faster, and the amount of cycles is from 3000-5000. Another benefit is they are much lighter, and can be mounted in any orientation.
For my own application, i bought two 100 Ah LiFePO4 batteries last Spring after looking at various types and combinations. My calculations finally told be that based long term (over 5 years), I would have to replace other batteries. I am hoping to be able to get 10 years out of my LiFePO4 batteries, with maybe adding yet another 2 with solar to keep them topped up.
Old 04-01-2020, 08:17 PM   #12

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
If Lithium is not in your budget I always recomment AGM.

I went with TWO Full River AGM's and love them. I think it was at Battery Outfitters about 2 years ago? I asked them for a discount upon purchased and they knocked off 10% or 12% so I paid about $225 each for 6 volt 220 amp hour AGMS.

They fit perfect under my steps (Axis) and have plenty of clearance on the top (which was one main reason I chose this brand).

Very heavy (73# each - the oem's were 46 # each).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4525.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	23111   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4526.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	23112  

Name:	IMG_4528.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	23113  
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 08:44 PM   #13
Jdb

State: Indiana
THOR #17892
Rocky Mountain,
I looked at the LI batteries, but it appears that the converter/ charger isn’t correct for LI batteries, so I’d have to buy a different charger. Is that correct?

Also, with the battery isolator circuitry on our units, I think that I’d have to have an LI chassis battery also, and then have to find an alternator that charges LI properly. I haven’t been able to find an LI charging alternator yet

Dave
Old 04-01-2020, 09:18 PM   #14

Model: thor miramar bunk model
State: New York
THOR #14527
Li fe PO4 battery charging

Just a comment here. I have a 100AH lithium iron phosphate battery that I am using with a solar panel all from bioenno power, Battery was $700 and charger additional. Requires different voltage settings - might be by memory 14.1 v to charge not sure but definitely needs a different charging system which could get very expensive. I am using 4 batteries all AGM Golf cart style batteries- each pair hooke d in series to give 12v system. all batteries identical which is important in series charging batteries. Good luck and if you go with LiFePO4 batteries please let us all know how it went.....
Old 04-02-2020, 03:21 AM   #15

Model: Windsport 32A
State: Alberta
THOR #16956
I just recently spent some time at our recent RV show talking to the rep about LiPo batteries. Sounds like the must have battery until he told me that they quit working when the outside temperature falls to freezing. At that point they need boosting with a battery booster to get them to come alive and accept a charge. Not suitable for cold weather areas. Just my input, live in Calgary, Alberta Canada, winter 7 month a year!!!!
Old 04-02-2020, 11:15 AM   #16
Jdb

State: Indiana
THOR #17892
LI batteries don’t quit working when ambient temperature is below freezing - they do not accept a charge well at really low temperatures. However, they warm themselves when discharging, and then can be charged

Here is a link to a great guide on lithium vs SLA batteries;
https://www.power-sonic.com/blog/lit...cid-batteries/

Dave

Tags
battery recommendations