Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-06-2016, 06:49 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Outlaw 29h
State: Missouri
THOR #980
Class A and Class C need Alignment at purchase

THOR does NOT align their motorhomes at the factory. It is up to you as a new owner to get the alinement done. The chassis are aligned when built at Ford's factory but need a new alignment after the coach is built. If you neglect to get the alinement you can experience poor handling and premature tire wear. This is just a case of THOR saving costs at your expense.

I found this out the hard way where after 15,000 miles my Michelins on front were ruined by improper alinement. I ended up having to go to a commercial Ford Truck dealer to get the alinement and new front tires mount and balanced. I called THOR and they refused to pay any of my costs because I was out of my warranty period.

Towed: 2013 Jeep Wrangler
Toy hauling: BMW F700 GS & G650 GS (Sertao)
MrZip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 07:08 PM   #2

Model: Freedom Elite 26HE
State: Illinois
THOR #4282
Mine was off when I bought it so I was disappointed but once I loaded it up with all our traveling gear the alignment changed anyway so it really should be done once you load it up.
Old 12-06-2016, 07:54 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Our dealer instructed us at least twice during PDI to get an alignment and there was two stickers inside the coach also advising an alignment.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 08:53 PM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Thor's recommendation for an alignment is in the section titled "Alignment" on page 13 of the owner's manual.

Thor is not the only manufacture that makes the recommendation for an alignment after loading. Forest River and Winnebago both make the exact same recommendation, almost word-for-word as Thor.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 11:34 PM   #5

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
MrZip,
I purchased my first NEW motorhome last spring and like you, found out the hard way. I fortunately discovered the issue at around 2500 miles so the tires are correcting themselves. I had a rear, larger anti-sway bar and a steering stabilizer installed...thankfully the installer corrected the issue when installing the stabilizer.

As others have pointed out, it is up to the final owner to do this. I fault the dealer for not pointing it out. It needs to be done ASAP after purchase.
Old 12-07-2016, 04:51 AM   #6

Model: Windsport 34P
State: California
THOR #5941
There is a sticker right next to the driver side on my Windsport basicly saying the RV should be loaded up and the get the alignment checked.
Old 12-07-2016, 07:04 AM   #7

Model: Outlaw 29h
THOR #980
I wonder how many MH are out there where the owner has no clue their new MH isn't aligned. Unfortunately I didn't see any stickers or anything about this or I would have got it done from day 1.
Towed: 2013 Jeep Wrangler
Toy hauling: BMW F700 GS & G650 GS (Sertao)
MrZip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 10:07 PM   #8

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
I agree...mine had no sticker or sign that said to align and I read the manual from cover to cover. I believe something so important should be mentioned by the dealer at the time of sale.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:13 PM   #9

Model: '17 Hurricane 34F
THOR #6040
where and how do you find a place to get the alignment done?
Old 12-07-2016, 11:02 PM   #10
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
Quote:
Originally Posted by wredman View Post
where and how do you find a place to get the alignment done?
Find a truck shop that does alignments...
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 11:57 PM   #11

Model: Hurricane 31K
State: Florida
THOR #3520
Internet or yellow pages will find your nearest truck tire dealer. They will either do alignments or know who does. Good alignment is a bargain both in tire life and handling of the rig as well.
Chuck Peck in CasaLoca
Old 12-08-2016, 01:50 AM   #12
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
I got ours aligned at a Goodyear Commercial Tire: Goodyear Commercial Tire & Service Centers | Service Excellence – Always
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 09:35 AM   #13

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
Axis Alignment

I finally got Thor to give me $250 toward my alignment on our '16 Thor Axis 24.1. It is just a given that it needs to be done after you purchase the vehicle. Why the industry isn't honest and explains this to you before purchase is beyond me.
Old 12-09-2016, 01:42 AM   #14

Model: ACE EVO 30.3
THOR #6059
Post delivery alignment

Wow! I was never told by the dealer that I needed to have our new MH taken in for a front end alignment! I have been through all of the manuals and don't recall seeing it anywhere. And there weren't any stickers found anywhere in or on the MH stating that either.
I was planning on doing the CHF and steering stabilizer in the next week or so. Should I take it in for alignment before or after the CHF and steering stabilizer?

Steven B
2017 ACE 30.3
Old 12-09-2016, 02:26 AM   #15
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevenb2560 View Post
Should I take it in for alignment before or after the CHF and steering stabilizer?

Steven B
2017 ACE 30.3
Before the steering stabilizer at least... That gets adjusted for 'center' - and that can change with an alignment...
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 02:39 AM   #16

THOR #6059
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
Before the steering stabilizer at least... That gets adjusted for 'center' - and that can change with an alignment...
Kind of what I thought. Just wanted to verify before I started the mods. I'll call a couple of Truck shops tomorrow. I think a local RV shop near me has alignment capabilities as well.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Steven B
Old 12-09-2016, 01:42 PM   #17

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevenb2560 View Post
Kind of what I thought. Just wanted to verify before I started the mods. I'll call a couple of Truck shops tomorrow. I think a local RV shop near me has alignment capabilities as well.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Steven B
Steven, don't where you are located in Florida, but in the Cape Coral/Ft. Myers area there are several shops around that do alignments on big trucks and/or motorhomes. I called a few and got prices and then drove past a couple to narrow it down before making final decision. Prices were all over the place from over $500 to under $200.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 02:20 PM   #18

THOR #6059
Alignment shops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-FL View Post
Steven, don't where you are located in Florida, but in the Cape Coral/Ft. Myers area there are several shops around that do alignments on big trucks and/or motorhomes. I called a few and got prices and then drove past a couple to narrow it down before making final decision. Prices were all over the place from over $500 to under $200.
Thanks Joe, I'm in the Port Charlotte area. I just checked with Charlotte RV and they do Class A motorhome alignments at their facility. It costs 150.00
I have contacted TMC by email to ask them if in fact it was not aligned at the factory ( which I'm sure it wasn't) and if they would be willing to cover the cost of having it done now to prevent premature tire wear and handling issues.
We'll see what their response will be?
If they don't offer to cover it, I will still have it done. It's better to head off a problem for 150.00 then to replace tires early or deal with handling problems.

Steven B.
Old 12-09-2016, 05:03 PM   #19

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
Alignment Info

Steve,
I had my Saf-T-Plus installed at the same time I had the alignment done. It saved on some labor costs since it costs every time your coach has to be lifted up to work underneath the chassis. You will not regret having this item installed. Makes a huge difference in making your driving less stressful.
Old 12-09-2016, 06:25 PM   #20

Model: Tuscany XTE 36MQ
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #3790
Alignment on New Motorhomes

I just read the section in our Owners manual under "Warranty Alignment" and it states our motorhome had the front suspension and steering system factory aligned using highly accurate equipment prior to delivery to dealership. It does state that it is recommend alignment be checked after fully loaded.
Since we have not had that done, our steering tires are cupping and we need to replace our $600 plus Goodyear tires and have the coach aligned all for about $1200+ for tires, $300+ for mounting and about another $300+ for the alignment.
We have been to many Rally's, Seminars, 4 annual Freightliner services, Thor factory for other repairs and many other functions with fellow RV owners and at no time has anything been mentioned about having the alignment redone or check after purchase.