Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2022, 01:22 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthgear View Post
….with the A/C coils , the only way they can become compromised is on the outside of the Coils .

Can’t A/C condensor coils become compromised by the inside of the fins clogging from dirt, algae, etc. that distrupts the air flow and reduces performance?

Or am I incorrect in what I thought I knew?

Old 07-19-2022, 02:01 PM   #22

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Per Airxcel for my Coleman Roof Top Unit Manual

Page 10 iv. Maintenance

Owner - One of biggest advantages to your new Coleman- Mach air conditioner is maintenance needed to keep unit in good working order is minimal.
In fact about the only thing you the owner must take care of is the cleaning and replacement of filters. We recommend that the filters be cleaned and changed every two weeks when AC is in use.

It goes on in depth about a Service Person; with 3 entire sections of what service is required. There is no mention of cleaning the Evap Coils or Condenser coils No mention of any kind of special required chemicals either.

I conclude whatever I have done is bonus. My evap coil was not dirty, my condenser was not dirty but some leaves wedged underneath the coils that I cleaned out, and I use my AC a lot, I mean a lot. I am in Texas heat!!!

Sure if you are in some odd case location with dust dirt and or grime, cleaning would be required but I think it may also be fairly obvious.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 02:33 PM   #23

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Can’t A/C condensor coils become compromised by the inside of the fins clogging from dirt, algae, etc. that distrupts the air flow and reduces performance?

They can and do. Very common and depends a lot on each different environment they work under.
Old 07-19-2022, 02:38 PM   #24

THOR #9178
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post

Page 10 iv. Maintenance

Owner - One of biggest advantages to your new Coleman- Mach air conditioner is maintenance needed to keep unit in good working order is minimal.
In fact about the only thing you the owner must take care of is the cleaning and replacement of filters. We recommend that the filters be cleaned and changed every two weeks when AC is in use.

It goes on in depth about a Service Person; with 3 entire sections of what service is required. There is no mention of cleaning the Evap Coils or Condenser coils No mention of any kind of special required chemicals either.

I conclude whatever I have done is bonus. My evap coil was not dirty, my condenser was not dirty but some leaves wedged underneath the coils that I cleaned out, and I use my AC a lot, I mean a lot. I am in Texas heat!!!

Sure if you are in some odd case location with dust dirt and or grime, cleaning would be required but I think it may also be fairly obvious.
Other than camping under Willows or pine trees, mine have stayed very clean. Took a bit of water to get the sap off the roof and the units after staying a week in a CO campground under Willow trees. Filters need to be cleaned about every 2 weeks of actual use so a month if running 1/2 time.
Old 07-19-2022, 03:57 PM   #25

Model: 2022 Sanctuary
THOR #26179
Quote:

Depends on several factors , is the Condenser a push through or a pull through , as far as cooling air direction . With a Condenser fan cowling sometimes riveted on & no way around it, its hard to clean , dirt & debris can accumulate in-between the Coil face & cowling .

Most small package units like what's on top of the RV's the Condenser air flow is directed to also blow past the Compressor to help cool it also . Most are pull through , the Face of the Condenser. Coil that is exposed is where the cooling air is being pulled through .

Think of it as a Window A/C unit, with a different cover , the cooling air is pulled from the exposed Coil face( that can be seen from the outside ) & it exits from some louvers on the side .

There can be many versions , depending on the Manufacturer , direct flow or ducted to other parts of the Space etc.
Old 07-19-2022, 05:21 PM   #26

THOR #12751
Clean AC

Quote:

Page 10 iv. Maintenance

I keep going back to my 20 year old Lexus. Haven’t cleaned the coils on it and it blows cold air as well as it did the day I drove it off the dealer’s lot.

I would think it is more prone to performance issues from dirt, oil, grease and road grime than my rooftop A/C units.
Old 07-19-2022, 08:59 PM   #27
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
RV AC's are not home or auto AC's. The usual failure mode is a frozen compressor. This happens earlier then it would by working the compressor harder and longer than necessary. Dirty and oxide coated coils cause the units to be inefficient and work harder and longer. After my front AC failed with a frozen compressor in Las Vegas, I was told to clean the coils on my rear AC unit to extend its life. I purchased Dometic AC coil cleaner. Wow what a difference. The coils are bright. Inside the temp out of the unit went down by ten degrees! Best thing I ever did. The Dometic coil cleaner does not require rinsing and is easy to use.
Old 07-19-2022, 09:38 PM   #28

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLP View Post
RV AC's are not home or auto AC's. The usual failure mode is a frozen compressor. This happens earlier then it would by working the compressor harder and longer than necessary. Dirty and oxide coated coils cause the units to be inefficient and work harder and longer. After my front AC failed with a frozen compressor in Las Vegas, I was told to clean the coils on my rear AC unit to extend its life. I purchased Dometic AC coil cleaner. Wow what a difference. The coils are bright. Inside the temp out of the unit went down by ten degrees! Best thing I ever did. The Dometic coil cleaner does not require rinsing and is easy to use.
I don't think anyone is questioning whether the coil cleaners work, but I have questioned how they claim to work rinse free?

For play, and not need; I bought two different types from that bright orange hardware store today.

One that may be my favorite speaks the truth for what I wanted to know on the can.

It says the self rinsing is due to condensation on unit and will completely rinse the emulsified material. It goes on to say that you may wipe or rinse with water especially on surfaces that produce no condensation.

Now I ask, where does condensation drain from your AC units? Yes the damn roof I don't want anybody spraying this crap on my coils on my roof and walking away without rinsing. So in my book the no rinse is just marketing mumbo jumbo.

The other point and key to your statement was the issue noted with dirty and oxide coated coils. I don't think anyone questions that a dirty coil needs to be clean. The question is every 6 months, every year? I know that is not the case for my Coleman Mach units.

My units are 3 1/2 years old and known clean now, but I am gonna open one up again just to spray this Foaming cleaner on just to see what it does with the smell. It is suppose to be lemony . I am sure it will not last long especially given that I will use a spray water bottle rinse.

The maintenance that is being touted all over You Tube and some Dealers is NOT what is written in the manual. I am not gonna tell a willing person that changes their oil every 3,000 miles what to do, but for the layman person to have to pay $350 to have someone come out and clean these coils on two units once or twice a year sounds bat crazy to me. I would be more interested in seeing the dirt and worried about where I been to get it that dirty? I wax my RV every 6 months because I can see and feel the wax is gone. Above, I showed before and after pictures of my coils (both of them) and they were clean. I cleaned with 409, rinsed. I learned way more than I ever thought I would about my AC units; I am good for another 3 1/2 years unless a dust storm moves in
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 07-19-2022, 09:41 PM   #29

THOR #12751
Quote:
I don't think anyone is questioninjg whether the coil cleaners work, but I have questioned how they claim to work rinse free?

For play, and not need; I bought two different types from that bright orange hardware store today.

One that may be my favorite speaks the truth for what I wanted to know on the can.

It says the self rinsing is due to condensation on unit will completely rinse the emulsified material. It goes on to say that you may wipe or rinse with water especially on surfaces that produce no condensation.

Now I ask, where does condensation drain from your AC units ? Yes the damn roof I don't want anybody spraying this crap on my coils on my roof and walking away without rinsing. So in my book the no rinse is just marketing mumbo jumbo.

The other point and key to you your statement was the issue noted with dirty and oxide coated coils. I don't think anyone questions that a dirty coil needs to be clean. The question is every 6 months, every year? I know that is not the case for my Coleman Mach units.

My units are 3 1/2 years old and known clean now, but I am gonna open one up again just to spray this Foaming cleaner on just to see what it does with the smell. It is suppose to be lemony . I am sure it will not last long especially given that I will use a spray water bottle rinse.

The maintenance that is being touted all over You Tube and some Dealers is NOT what is written in the manual. I am not gonna tell a willing person that changes their oil every 3,000 miles what to do, but for the layman person to have to pay $350 to have someone come out and clean these coils on two units once or twice a year sounds bat crazy to me. I would be more interested in seeing the dirt and worried about where I been to get it that dirty? I wax my RV every 6 months because I can see and feel the wax is gone. Above I showed before and after pictures of my coils (both of them) and they were clean. I cleaned with 409, rinsed and learned way more than I ever thought I would about my AC units; I am good for another 3 1/2 years unless a dust storm moves in

Here… here! [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]
Old 07-19-2022, 09:49 PM   #30

THOR #13058
Quote:
I keep going back to my 20 year old Lexus. Haven’t cleaned the coils on it and it blows cold air as well as it did the day I drove it off the dealer’s lot.

I would think it is more prone to performance issues from dirt, oil, grease and road grime than my rooftop A/C units.
We had a 25 year old evaporator that the HVAC guys had quoted us to replace 3 or 4 times over a 10 year span. They kept citing the rusted coil, leaking water, efficiency etc. etc. but it was blowing cold air and actually beating our new units downstairs. I just rerouted the drain pan overflow pvc that went to side of house to a drain pipe upstairs beneath a bath sink I did ZERO PM, I just waited until it finally died and bought a new one. Easy Peasey. I am not gonna spend $3,000 to maintain and warranty a product that cost $3,000. It reminds me a few years back before Covid and I was in a checkout line at Wal Mart. A guy was buying a $20 toaster. The lady asked if he wanted the 2 years extended warranty protection and he says yes!!!! He didn't even ask how much, it was $29 He could have had 2 toasters and $9 in his pocket. Made me put my things back; I went to the liquor store instead.
Old 07-20-2022, 01:09 PM   #31

THOR #9178
Now that was a good one dk
Old 07-20-2022, 05:10 PM   #32

THOR #12751
Quote:
We had a 25 year old evaporator that the HVAC guys had quoted us to replace 3 or 4 times over a 10 year span. They kept citing the rusted coil, leaking water, efficiency etc. etc. but it was blowing cold air and actually beating our new units downstairs. I just rerouted the drain pan overflow pvc that went to side of house to a drain pipe upstairs beneath a bath sink I did ZERO PM, I just waited until it finally died and bought a new one. Easy Peasey. I am not gonna spend $3,000 to maintain and warranty a product that cost $3,000. It reminds me a few years back before Covid and I was in a checkout line at Wal Mart. A guy was buying a $20 toaster. The lady asked if he wanted the 2 years extended warranty protection and he says yes!!!! He didn't even ask how much, it was $29 He could have had 2 toasters and $9 in his pocket. Made me put my things back; I went to the liquor store instead.

You are a wise old man!

And the trip to the liquor store is priceless!

[emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]
Old 07-20-2022, 09:52 PM   #33

THOR #26179
Interesting , just don't do anything till it die's ! OK
Old 07-20-2022, 11:45 PM   #34

THOR #13058
Quote:
No, it is more like don't fix what is broke; that still works for it's intended purposes until it's useful life is fully realized by consumer or it dies.

I skipped Nu Calgone as I saw nothing to justify the $20/can price.

I bought one of the https://www.homedepot.com/p/Web-19-o...IL19/301847065 and one of the https://www.homedepot.com/p/AC-Safe-...-921/206740351 No Fin repair tool?

Any preferences on one cleaner over the other? I plan to open up the main cabin AC for no other reason to spray some of the 2nd can that has the lemon scent. I may not need or used the 1st can at all? I only bought the 1st can because it is a Best Seller at Home Depot and I am sure there is a reason for that.

I also bought some foil tape, whenever (if) I do pull the Evap covers again, when I replace; I will seal the seams with the foil tape and date when it was cleaned. I will not remove the Evap covers again until I see a dirty condenser, dirty filter inside, or it is year 2026 and I still have the coach.

And yes if it fails between now and then, I will buy a new one. Maybe I can get Coleman low profile units that allow me to run both ACs on 30 amps with no issues
Old 07-21-2022, 01:16 AM   #35

THOR #12751
Quote:

It is interesting the manufacturer does not specify cleaning the coils. There are a lot of units out there on RV's over 10 years old and I'll bet a lot of owners never cleaned the coils.
Old 07-21-2022, 02:38 AM   #36

THOR #13058
Quote:
It is interesting the manufacturer does not specify cleaning the coils. There are a lot of units out there on RV's over 10 years old and I'll bet a lot of owners never cleaned the coils.
To add to this they have about 25- 30 machine screws you must remove to get into the evap coil, they use some foil tape to show if it has been tampered with or removed. Perhaps Coleman makes it harder to get into the Evap coil for a reason? There is probably greater risk of something going wrong during the process of access and/or cleaning the Evap coil; than there is of leaving it alone with the risk of dirt actually clogging up the coils.

They further make it a point of emphasis on cleaning the air filters inside the coach after two weeks of use. If they are clean it is impossible to have foreign dirt or material inside the evap coil. My wife cleans those; it is easy thing to do while on a trip.
Old 07-21-2022, 09:24 AM   #37

THOR #12751
Quote:
To add to this they have about 25- 30 machine screws you must remove to get into the evap coil, they use some foil tape to show if it has been tampered with or removed. Perhaps Coleman makes it harder to get into the Evap coil for a reason? There is probably greater risk of something going wrong during the process of access and/or cleaning the Evap coil; than there is of leaving it alone with the risk of dirt actually clogging up the coils.

They further make it a point of emphasis on cleaning the air filters inside the coach after two weeks of use. If they are clean it is impossible to have foreign dirt or material inside the evap coil. My wife cleans those; it is easy thing to do while on a trip.
I would agree with you and that is a very logical conclusion.
Old 07-21-2022, 11:31 AM   #38

THOR #26179
So that Screen Filter will stop what ? What Micron level do you think it is ? Its nothing more then what you see in most clothing Dryers & of course that screen stops all the lint & dust , nothing gets by it & you never have to clean the dryer vent pipe or stack , right ?

You can clean that Screen filter every day & it won't stop your Evaporator Coil from getting dirty or plugged , its only a matter of time, but it will still work , well, sorta , what you think is fine is actually not , but its your equipment & comfort .

The photos below are what I used on Condensers , of course its Commercial strength & needs to be diluted in most cases . When I pick up another Evaporator Cleaner gallon , I will post it also . I do not recommend this product to those with out experience in using it . I rinse the condenser before & after application .

At the very least , you should inspect your system every year .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cond cleaner .jpg
Views:	19
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	38809   Click image for larger version

Name:	cond cleaner 2.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	170.1 KB
ID:	38810  

Click image for larger version

Name:	cond cleaner 3.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	153.3 KB
ID:	38811   Click image for larger version

Name:	cond cleaner 4.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	203.4 KB
ID:	38812  

Old 07-21-2022, 01:15 PM   #39

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
So that Screen Filter will stop what ? What Micron level do you think it is ? Its nothing more then what you see in most clothing Dryers & of course that screen stops all the lint & dust , nothing gets by it & you never have to clean the dryer vent pipe or stack , right ?

You can clean that Screen filter every day & it won't stop your Evaporator Coil from getting dirty or plugged , its only a matter of time, but it will still work , well, sorta , what you think is fine is actually not , but its your equipment & comfort .

The photos below are what I used on Condensers , of course its Commercial strength & needs to be diluted in most cases . When I pick up another Evaporator Cleaner gallon , I will post it also . I do not recommend this product to those with out experience in using it . I rinse the condenser before & after application .

At the very least , you should inspect your system every year .
I make every effort to follow manufacturers maintenance instructions on everything from chassis oil changes, roof cleaning etc. etc.

That being the case... even IF your logic seems sound, how do you justify a residential coil cleaning procedure on a Coleman-Mach RV unit - when it's specifically NOT mentioned or detailed in the owner's manual?

NOT trying to be a contrarian... just making sure it's the correct thing to do.
Old 07-21-2022, 01:42 PM   #40

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
So... as a follow-up to my previous post, I found an A/C maintenance video done by a fellow I've followed for years on YouTube. He is VERY thorough on maintenance items. His 5th wheel is over ten years old, and is in tip-top shape.

Caveat is that he's a full timer Canuck and winters in the U.S. desert southwest - very dusty environment. So cleanings are likely imperative in his use case.

https://youtu.be/fv5KBhdEvNg