Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-22-2022, 03:00 AM   #41

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
So... as a follow-up to my previous post, I found an A/C maintenance video done by a fellow I've followed for years on YouTube. He is VERY thorough on maintenance items. His 5th wheel is over ten years old, and is in tip-top shape.

Caveat is that he's a full timer Canuck and winters in the U.S. desert southwest - very dusty environment. So cleanings are likely imperative in his use case.

https://youtu.be/fv5KBhdEvNg
I started to look at the video but when I saw the actual Evap Coil and how dirty it was it is clear even to me, that this unit has likely not had the plenon sealed properly. Yes this unit need cleaning and if has that must grime coming from the inside of his coach; he has other problems.

Look at this picture and look at my BEFORE picture at 3 years 8 months.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dirty Coil.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	38822

Let's put this in perspective. When I 1st saw this thread I was all in learning what to do. Really feeling bad because not only have I not been doing this twice a year, I NEVER had it done But I did it, I repeat, I did it Jack and I saw no dirt, just leaves on the bottom of the condenser.

I am a Coleman; so I will follow procedures by Coleman. Make no mistake a dirty coil needs cleaning, but anyone saying that I as a RV owner should clean both of my coils twice every year does not come across as credible, maybe just a proponent of the product or the service of the industry? I don't know motivation. My Grandfather use to say "I may be a fool, but I ain't a damn fool"

Oddly, I still plan to spray that stuff at least on one Evap coil (Main cabin), because I can't rest until I can see what the lemony scent smells like. I may return the 2nd can, because now that I have proof up a dirty filter, I know I will NEVER see that unless I move to the desert.

2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 03:17 AM   #42

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthgear View Post
So that Screen Filter will stop what ? What Micron level do you think it is ?

KOLDMAN: I am gonna defer you to answer you gave me earlier, you need to check with Coleman Mach the Manufacturer on why they believe the Owner need to keep Screen filter clean after every two weeks of use. I have been taught from this site to READ the manuals and fine prints.

Its nothing more then what you see in most clothing Dryers & of course that screen stops all the lint & dust , nothing gets by it & you never have to clean the dryer vent pipe or stack , right ?

KOLDMAN: Are you suggesting you suppose to clean dryer vent pipes? Oops I have never done that either. Don't you get new dryer hoses when you get new washer & dryers?

You can clean that Screen filter every day & it won't stop your Evaporator Coil from getting dirty or plugged , its only a matter of time, but it will still work , well, sorta , what you think is fine is actually not , but its your equipment & comfort .

The photos below are what I used on Condensers , of course its Commercial strength & needs to be diluted in most cases . When I pick up another Evaporator Cleaner gallon , I will post it also . I do not recommend this product to those with out experience in using it . I rinse the condenser before & after application .

At the very least , you should inspect your system every year .
I am onboard with you last statement. I am on my roof all the time, but never thought about the roof top units other than being a convenient foot table to hold my wax and buffer. I will now look inside the shroud grill to see if I see any dirt on Condenser. I may even lift the shroud and use the $6 spray and clean the Condenser coils and rinse, but I believe I will deal my Evap coils with the foil tape and not even bother thinking about until 2026.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 07-22-2022, 01:07 PM   #43

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2022 Sanctuary
State: Florida
THOR #26179
The main reason the owners manual doesn't mention cleaning the Coils is , they don't want the normal owners up there cleaning & maybe damaging the A/C system or falling off , let the A/C technicians do that . There are many things that an untrained person ( Tech's too ) can do to ruin a Coil or damage it .

That dirty Coil like that can happen almost any where , where dust is kicked up from driving or parked in a dusty Camping spot & there it is dusty dirt access roads . Remember the Condenser fan pulls air through the Coil , so it doesn't matter if it's dusty , dirty or sandy , it will be pulled through, yes some places will be worse than others . Also the only thing you are seeing on any Coil is the Face of it , you can't see inside the Coil , between the Fins . These Coils have plumbing to make several passes with in them , you can't see .
Old 07-22-2022, 02:33 PM   #44

THOR #13058
Quote:
The main reason the owners manual doesn't mention cleaning the Coils is , they don't want the normal owners up there cleaning & maybe damaging the A/C system or falling off , let the A/C technicians do that . There are many things that an untrained person ( Tech's too ) can do to ruin a Coil or damage it .

That dirty Coil like that can happen almost any where , where dust is kicked up from driving or parked in a dusty Camping spot & there it is dusty dirt access roads . Remember the Condenser fan pulls air through the Coil , so it doesn't matter if it's dusty , dirty or sandy , it will be pulled through, yes some places will be worse than others . Also the only thing you are seeing on any Coil is the Face of it , you can't see inside the Coil , between the Fins . These Coils have plumbing to make several passes with in them , you can't see .
The Coleman Mach manual does not even callout the cleaning of coils for Service Technicians? It lays out 3 things that the Service Tech must do, and 1 thing the owner must do. Cleaning coils is not in the service manual.

My RV Mfg says the roof should be inspected every 6 months, so I don't think they (companies) worry about liability if someone falls off a roof doing service. Every man must realize his/her limitations. I inspect the roof about 4 times a year when I am washing the roof. I will now be adding the visual inspection of condenser coils through the mounted shroud. So long as the condenser coils look clean on the outside, I am good to go. But as I speak; tonight or maybe tomorrow, I plan to go back up there because I am gonna play this out ( at this pointy, I am all in), I got the can of lemony stuff and I am gonna spray it on my Evap coil no matter how clean they are In fact; I may even charge my wife $350
Old 07-22-2022, 05:14 PM   #45

THOR #26179
Thats not a service manual , its an owners manual , big difference .
Old 07-22-2022, 06:33 PM   #46

THOR #13058
Quote:
Thats not a service manual , its an owners manual , big difference .
Not sure the material facts agree. What I referenced is not part of my Winnebago Owners manual, but part of Operators Supplement Manuals. It contains documents from every OEM Mfg for the coach, the manual I reference is for Installation, Operation & Maintenance from Airxcel. See Picture 1.

Name:	20220722_130824.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	38835

In that manual; page 10 Section IV, Part II it is specifically for a Service Person, no mention of anything related to cleaning of coils. See Picture 2

Name:	20220722_130917.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	38836

But since you raised it, I pulled from Airxcel the dedicated Service Manual for my unit, see attached file. Not only is there no reference of a requirement of cleaning of the coils, if you look at the troubleshooting steps none of the problems identified are resolved by cleaning of coils

I am now getting reluctant to even bother with trying to spray for the lemony smell.... serves me right to have questioned the Judge's disposition, he said case was dismissed, but noooooooo
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Coleman Airxcel Service Manual.pdf (731.0 KB, 14 views)
Old 07-22-2022, 07:58 PM   #47

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
The video I posted of the cleaning procedure is from a full timer... not a weekend warrior. I have followed his travels for several years now... believe me he is THOROUGH to the point of overkill on his maintenance and upkeep. Watch one of his videos showing his electrical/battery setup. It's jaw dropping how he's organized with wiring runs!

Aside from the age of his rig - and the fact it's a 5th wheel - I wouldn't hesitate to buy a rig he's owned. If there's a project that could be properly done on an RV, this guy has done it... and done it VERY well.

So, considering his travels, I wasn't surprised at all how dirty those coils were. Knowing how he rolls, he likely let them get very dirty just for the video! And I wasn't surprised either at the thoroughness of how he cleaned them. Remember... he and his wife use that coach every day... and that A/C probably has more hours use than a typical coach has total engine hours.
Old 07-22-2022, 08:14 PM   #48

THOR #26179
One thing different about Trailers & a MH , all the dust/dirt is behind you , on the Trailer .

Well ,if your owners /operators guide doesn't instruct you to clean the coils , don't , they don't mind selling you a new one when the one you have doesn't work any more .
Old 07-22-2022, 08:35 PM   #49

Model: Challenger
State: Maryland
THOR #25281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
The video I posted of the cleaning procedure is from a full timer... not a weekend warrior. I have followed his travels for several years now... believe me he is THOROUGH to the point of overkill on his maintenance and upkeep. Watch one of his videos showing his electrical/battery setup. It's jaw dropping how he's organized with wiring runs!

Aside from the age of his rig - and the fact it's a 5th wheel - I wouldn't hesitate to buy a rig he's owned. If there's a project that could be properly done on an RV, this guy has done it... and done it VERY well.

So, considering his travels, I wasn't surprised at all how dirty those coils were. Knowing how he rolls, he likely let them get very dirty just for the video! And I wasn't surprised either at the thoroughness of how he cleaned them. Remember... he and his wife use that coach every day... and that A/C probably has more hours use than a typical coach has total engine hours.
I agree with your assesment sir, the gentleman in the video even states that he lives in his rv full time. Holy crap and good lord it was only meant as a guide and not gospel. LOL If it's dirty clean it. not hard
Old 07-23-2022, 02:27 PM   #50

THOR #13058
For closure and kicks, I went ahead and pulled both units shrouds and evap plenums although I had already cleaned as described earlier. But this time; I used the Lemon smelling coil cleaner and the coil brush cap that came with it from Home Depot https://www.homedepot.com/p/AC-Safe-...-921/206740351.

A couple of the first videos said to use a can per coil, I found that impossible to do without extreme excess of chemicals. I am kind of convince some of the video s may be indiscreet marketing videos for product? Anyway.... I drenched both Evap coils and still had enough to spray both condensers with one can. The cap brush worked well to straighten some fins, but few were bent.

I did inadvertently disconnect a ground main furnace wire, but caught before closing up the EVAP plenum. Waited until this morning to ensure coils had dried and ran both units. Everything worked as normal including heater. I had to set heater at 90 degrees to get it to come on

The lemon scent may be good to make you feel like something has been done, I suspect you only notice that the first time you fire it up. A placebo sugar pill of sorts.

I conclude as before, in my case; I will check condensers at least once a year. Regardless of condition, I will clean condensers every 2 years with the $6 coil cleaner that comes with a fin cap and rinse with low pressure water hose. Every 4th year; I will go inside the Plenum and do the same but rinse with a Water Spray bottle. It should be noted that I sealed the edges of the plenums with Foil Tape; so I may get a little bit more efficiency. So I am done until 2024 & 2026 respectively.