Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-25-2022, 03:16 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #27473
Ford Warranty Work

My 2020 Thor Motor Coach 350 Ford engine blew up while I was traveling across the USA in June. It had 8,998 miles on it. I called Ford Warranty and they confirmed it’s covered under warranty. My motorhome has been sitting outside of a mechanic’s garage in New Mexico for 6 weeks, and the mechanic hasn’t done anything to fix it. I live in Florida. I’ve called dozens of Ford dealers and none of them will do warranty work. Any ideas on how I can get my RV engine fixed/repaired under warranty?Thanks

Old 07-25-2022, 03:31 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
If it is not at a Ford dealer then how do you expect warranty work to be accomplished? All Ford dealers are required to do warranty work by their contract with Ford.

Have you called Ford Customer Service yet?

At 6 weeks you are well into Florida's Lemon Law territory IF you have followed your requirements under the Lemon Law.

I suspect Ford doesn't even know you have a problem. Get it towed to a Ford dealer with Ford's Roadside Assistance yesterday.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 04:00 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 35m
State: North Carolina
THOR #13505
When our 2020 Hurricane engine gernated, we use a ford dealership to replace the motor. Took about 2 months.
Old 07-25-2022, 04:08 PM   #4

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
A "warranty tow" from New Mexico to Florida will not happen. The roadside programs call for towing to the nearest garage. Occasionally you can get a 2nd tow to a Ford dealer. Call Ford CS and let them advise you. Most likely you will need to move it to the closest Ford Commercial Truck Center in New Mexico area.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 04:17 PM   #5

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
You want to contact a Ford Commercial Truck Center. Some Ford Dealers do not have service bays large enough to do motorhome work.

A quick search brings up this dealer as a Ford Commercial Dealer in Albuquerque....

https://www.rich-ford.com/

You can also contact Ford Corporate and ask them to recommend a dealer and help with getting you in for warranty service.
Old 07-25-2022, 04:43 PM   #6

THOR #27473
Ford Dealer

Thank you for responding. I called this Ford dealer. The told me they don’t work on motor homes. This is the same response I’m getting from dozens of Ford dealerships. Even Ford customer service said they don’t have lists of which dealers have bays and lifts to accommodate motor homes. Very frustrating! Ford warranty also told me to have it towed to the nearest mechanic because the nearest Ford dealer was 160 miles away from where the motorhome broke down and they don’t work on motorhomes anyway. Now, Ford Warranty has denied the tow charges because the Motorhome wasn’t delivered to a Ford dealer! Ridiculous! I’m trying to find someone at Ford warranty customer service that can actually help me get my motorhome repaired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
You want to contact a Ford Commercial Truck Center. Some Ford Dealers do not have service bays large enough to do motorhome work.

A quick search brings up this dealer as a Ford Commercial Dealer in Albuquerque....

https://www.rich-ford.com/

You can also contact Ford Corporate and ask them to recommend a dealer and help with getting you in for warranty service.
Old 07-25-2022, 05:01 PM   #7

THOR #12751
Ford Warranty Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzmarymac View Post
Thank you for responding. I called this Ford dealer. The told me they don’t work on motor homes. This is the same response I’m getting from dozens of Ford dealerships. Even Ford customer service said they don’t have lists of which dealers have bays and lifts to accommodate motor homes. Very frustrating! Ford warranty also told me to have it towed to the nearest mechanic because the nearest Ford dealer was 160 miles away from where the motorhome broke down and they don’t work on motorhomes anyway. Now, Ford Warranty has denied the tow charges because the Motorhome wasn’t delivered to a Ford dealer! Ridiculous! I’m trying to find someone at Ford warranty customer service that can actually help me get my motorhome repaired.

This one is on the official Ford Commercial Truck Website.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6007.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	38874

Rich Ford is also listed. But if you called the general number, they will tell you they don’t work on motohomes. You have to ask for the Commercial Truck Service Dept.

I once called a Ford dealer and they told me the same thing but once I got to the Commericial Truck Dept they sang a different tune.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6008.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	38875

If they are listed as a Commercial Vehicle Center they have the service bays and tools to work on ambulances, FedEx box trucks, etc. as well as a motorhome.

And in the future you should contact Ford Roadside Assistance and let them direct you to an authorized service center when under warranty.
Old 07-25-2022, 05:13 PM   #8

THOR #27473
Still looking…

I just called Power Ford. They don’t work on motorhomes either!! Ugh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
This one is on the official Ford Commercial Truck Website.Attachment 38874

Rich Ford is also listed. But if you called the general number, they will tell you they don’t work on motohomes. You have to ask for the Commercial Truck Service Dept.

I once called a Ford dealer and they told me the same thing but once I got to the Commericial Truck Dept they sang a different tune.Attachment 38875

If they are listed as a Commercial Vehicle Center they have the service bays and tools to work on ambulances, FedEx box trucks, etc. as well as a motorhome.

And in the future you should contact Ford Roadside Assistance and let them direct you to an authorized service center when under warranty.
Old 07-25-2022, 05:25 PM   #9

THOR #12751
Ford Warranty Work

Quote:
I just called Power Ford. They don’t work on motorhomes either!! Ugh!

QUOTE=Judge;355757]This one is on the official Ford Commercial Truck Website.Attachment 38874

I once called a Ford dealer and they told me the same thing but once I got to the Commericial Truck Dept they sang a different tune.Attachment 38875

[/QUOTE]

I would be escalating this to Ford Warranty Customer Service. Tell them you have a Class C Motorhome and the engine failed under warranty. Tell them that you are contacting dealers listed as Ford Commercial Vehicle Centers on the Ford website and they are telling you they won’t work on a motorhome. Then ask them to help you find a dealer that will and assist in getting the vehicle to that dealer.

You want a Ford dealer replacing the engine to maintain the integrity of the powertrain warranty…. Unless Ford authorizes another repair shop to do the work and Ford puts in writing you will have a warranty on the replacement engine and work done.
Old 07-25-2022, 05:30 PM   #10

THOR #12751
I would also tell the Ford dealers you call that you have an E350 and don’t mention motorhome! That may be causing confusion given some of the people on the phone ain’t the brightest and they often read from a script.

If a dealer services an E350, they will service your rig.
Old 07-25-2022, 05:36 PM   #11

THOR #12751
And Rich Ford in Albuquerque has a separate Work Truck Website that even says Commercial on it.

I would contact them at the number on this website and tell them you have a 2020 E350 with 8K miles and the engine has failed under warranty and ask if they can schedule you for service.

I would call Power Ford and do the same thing there as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-07-25 at 1.32.25 PM.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	38876  
Old 07-26-2022, 11:01 AM   #12

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Michigan
THOR #24400
Ford has a special phone number for technical support for motorhomes. When I contacted them to find a Ford dealer to service our E350 based motorhome, they were very helpful. They called several dealers and found one about 60 miles away from our home.
Old 07-26-2022, 11:16 AM   #13

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
Ford has a special phone number for technical support for motorhomes. When I contacted them to find a Ford dealer to service our E350 based motorhome, they were very helpful. They called several dealers and found one about 60 miles away from our home.
Maybe posting that phone number would be helpful.
Old 07-26-2022, 04:44 PM   #14

Model: Daybreak 30DB
State: Tennessee
THOR #22917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
Maybe posting that phone number would be helpful.
Ford motorhome Contact
Old 07-26-2022, 05:22 PM   #15
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
800-444-3311
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 06:48 PM   #16

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Nevada
THOR #27334
Any specifics on how these motors are "blowing up"? Spinning main bearings? Throwing rods? Just curious... I have a 2020 on a 2019 chassis, 54,000 miles and the engine is running fine... for now ;-)
Old 07-30-2022, 11:05 PM   #17

Model: Freedom Elite 23H
State: Virginia
THOR #19277
Quote:
My 2020 Thor Motor Coach 350 Ford engine blew up while I was traveling across the USA in June. It had 8,998 miles on it. I called Ford Warranty and they confirmed it’s covered under warranty. My motorhome has been sitting outside of a mechanic’s garage in New Mexico for 6 weeks, and the mechanic hasn’t done anything to fix it. I live in Florida. I’ve called dozens of Ford dealers and none of them will do warranty work. Any ideas on how I can get my RV engine fixed/repaired under warranty?Thanks
In my part of Virginia, every Ford dealer has stopped working on motorhomes except one, warranty or otherwise. I find that to be despicable. They should not be allowed to be a Ford dealer unless they agree to service ALL Ford trucks.

My local Ford dealer is Sheehy Ford in Warrenton, VA. Ask for Gary Funk.

I had a some success with a dealership in Burgaw NC. I left my Freedom Elite and tow dolly outside their service bays on a holiday weekend and drove home to Virginia. On the phone Monday morning, they said they don't work on those things but reluctantly agreed to make an exception since I was 250 miles away.

I recently learned that any ASE Certified mechanic can be reimbursed by Ford for warranty work. You would, of course, want to get that in writing from Ford before allowing him to start working on it. Try calling around to places that work on light trucks. I'll bet you find somebody.
Old 07-30-2022, 11:12 PM   #18

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Nevada
THOR #27334
Around here there is a massive shortage of qualified mechanics, and doubly so for those willing to work on heavy trucks.
widdershins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 11:44 PM   #19
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiley1 View Post
In my part of Virginia, every Ford dealer has stopped working on motorhomes except one, warranty or otherwise. I find that to be despicable. They should not be allowed to be a Ford dealer unless they agree to service ALL Ford trucks.

My local Ford dealer is Sheehy Ford in Warrenton, VA. Ask for Gary Funk.

I had a some success with a dealership in Burgaw NC. I left my Freedom Elite and tow dolly outside their service bays on a holiday weekend and drove home to Virginia. On the phone Monday morning, they said they don't work on those things but reluctantly agreed to make an exception since I was 250 miles away.

I recently learned that any ASE Certified mechanic can be reimbursed by Ford for warranty work. You would, of course, want to get that in writing from Ford before allowing him to start working on it. Try calling around to places that work on light trucks. I'll bet you find somebody.
There are two in the Richmond area Sheehy and Universal.

Car sales dealerships cannot work on motorhomes and they don’t sell trucks. It is not despicable, it’s a fact of life. Has been and will be.
Old 07-31-2022, 11:53 AM   #20

Model: Freedom Elite 23H
State: Virginia
THOR #19277
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Car sales dealerships cannot work on motorhomes and they don’t sell trucks. It is not despicable, it’s a fact of life. Has been and will be.
Sure, but I didn't say anything about "car" sales.

I'm referring to places where they have F-250's, F-350's, and E-350's sitting on the lot for sale. If you sell it, you should be required to service it, even if somebody has mounted a big box on the back. The same V10 or V8 goes into all of them.

I'm referring to Ford dealers who once serviced motorhomes but decided not to do that anymore because it turned out to be a little extra trouble. They need to learn how to concentrate on the Ford portion of the vehicle and ignore all the add-on stuff.

Shame on Ford for allowing them to cherry-pick what they want to work on. They should be forced to service what they sell, even if they have to raise the roof on one bay to accommodate.

Tags
dead engine, ford warranty, thor