Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2016, 05:09 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 34.1
State: Delaware
THOR #3746
Coach Door Lock Problem

Our Coach Door LOCKED US OUT... BUT just as easily could have LOCKED US IN.....

We have a 2015 Thor Miramar.....After recently locking the deadbolt on the door for the night, the deadbolt separated from the locking mechanism in the LOCKED position and refused to open. Luckily, we were not camping at the time. The coach was stored on our driveway for the winter so I had time to troubleshoot the problem. After repeated attempts (for at least an hour) to open the lock using the key, the mechanism finally connected with the deadbolt and the door opened. (pure dumb luck.... no skill involved!!!)

A locksmith removed the door lock cover plate (inside) and found that a 'formed catchwire' inside the mechanism disengaged from the deadbolt causing it to stay in the locked position. He stated that this could easily have happened when we were camping in the coach TRAPPING US INSIDE.

The catchwire had too much slack which allowed it to disengage from the deadbolt. The catchwire was gently bent to remove the slack and I now have more confidence that this won't happen again. As a precaution, however, the locksmith strongly recommended that I keep a phillips head screwdriver and an ice pick handy somewhere inside the coach just in case it happens again and we get locked INSIDE. If that happens, I will use the tools to remove the lock plate on the inside of the door then slide the deadbolt to open the door. If we're outside and it happens again, I may just leave a front slider window unlocked to gain access.

With the locksmith right there, I also wanted to add a residential-style deadbolt to the door so I could bypass the problem completely but was told the coach door/door frame was not thick enough to support a new lock. Has anyone added a deadbolt to their door??? Hopefully this was a fluke but I thought I would share the experience just the same....... Joe

Old 03-02-2016, 06:46 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
It has not happened to me but thanks for the info. I may start looking a little more heavily into an electronic door lock.

As to getting stuck inside, when ever we are camping I have a six foot folding step ladder that gets positioned outside the bathroom emergency window. I guess now it has a second purpose fire exit and malfunctioning deadbolt exit.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 08:20 PM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
There was a lock problem for doors about a year and a half ago and there was a recall on it, Trying to remember the brand but was on all most all RV mine was bad and I had to replace it before the recall.
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 03:51 AM   #4

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
A few years ago, we were in a cg with our Class A, and our door latch broke as we were preparing for about a dozen guests for dinner. I was inside and the wife was outside. I had screwdrivers and a good pocketknife, but couldn't get the latch plate off from the inside because of the way it had broken. Friends had to take out about 30 screws to take the door off. The deadbolt still worked, and in a couple of days we had a new latch delivered, which I installed. Made for interesting (late) dinner conversation!
Old 03-14-2016, 01:30 PM   #5

Model: Challenger 35HT
State: Maryland
THOR #1875
I had to have both the locks replaced on my coach. The deadbolt never worked and on the other lock the cylinder kept falling out. It was to the point that I had to remove the cylinder when we were going down the road so that we would not lose it. Both were replaced under warranty.
2015 Thor Challenger 35HT
jrben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 11:49 AM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #3789
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
It has not happened to me but thanks for the info. I may start looking a little more heavily into an electronic door lock.

As to getting stuck inside, when ever we are camping I have a six foot folding step ladder that gets positioned outside the bathroom emergency window. I guess now it has a second purpose fire exit and malfunctioning deadbolt exit.
Hey Dave have you ever done anything about this yet? Mine locked me out this weekend at a very bad time....
Old 03-07-2017, 11:36 PM   #7

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
Coach Door Lock Problem

Hmmm? The door latch locked me out of my Hurricane 34e one time. I slammed the door shut, and somehow the deadbolt locked, (not the handle).

Luckily? My daughter was inside and by flipping the inside latches it opened right up.

However, I immediately had visions of being accidentally locked out, or being locked in if something was broken.

I sprayed the lock and deadbolt very liberally with silicone spray and it has never done that again.

The mechanism spring in my lock probably never disengaged.

But I still experienced a moment of panic.
Old 03-08-2017, 01:45 AM   #8

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Virginia
THOR #6688
2017 Thor Hurricane 29M

I just bought a 2017 Thor Hurricane 29M.

Twice now the door has locked when I shut the door. Luckily I had the keys in my pocket or in the house so I could unlock it.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,

Paul
Old 03-08-2017, 04:48 AM   #9

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Door Lock Problem

Funny we are talking about this. Our 2016 Axis 24.1 just experienced a similar problem with the latch lock, not the deadbolt. Seemed like the regular latch was hanging up a bit when trying to unlatch from the inside. Once, it seemed like we were going to get locked inside the coach. I bit the bullet and had the entire latch replaced under the extended warranty, $200 deductible.... The old latch was made by TriMark. The new one is a not a TriMark and I like it better because it has to be locked with a key when you are locking from the outside. No more flipping the lock on the inside and slamming the door, possibly leaving your keys inside.... The new latch assembly seems much smoother.