Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-28-2019, 07:23 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Coachman Pursuit Precision 29SS vs Thor 29.3 /29M

All,

I have all but given up on my quest to buy the ACE 29.3. Thus far it was the only unit I could find that met all of key objectives.

1. Under 30"3" including ladder if ladder is on passenger side of rear.
2. Bed must be fully accessible with slide in. No flipped up bed while traveling.
3. Must be 2018 or newer with fewer than 10k miles
4. 2 AC units (5500KW)
5. Must be cherry or dark color walnut finish, 3 TVs, outdoor kitchen
6. Automatic levelers

Really nice to haves.

1. Residential Refrigerator
2. AGS Automatic Generator starter (i.e. Xantrex)
3. Large screen monitors for cameras, and Android Apps capability
4. Ladder on Driver side
5. Mfg Warranty
6. Roll down blinds

Last year I found the ACE 29.3 as best all around option. I stopped looking ta other mfgs. However Thor quit make the 29.3 unless you wish to custom order. I don't mind a custom order but I know Ii will sleep in peace with custom pay for a custom order so that option is out. I am searching for what exist on dealer lots as to save lots of money. 35 - 40 % off MSRP

I just recently saw a Coachmen's 29SS Pursuit. It is about 3" too long to fit into my improved area for RV. If I removed the ladder it would fit.

Can anyone speak to quality of Pursuit Precision in relation to Thor 29.3 or 29M? Also does any know of another unit O should be aware of to consider buying before given up completely

2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 08:51 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 29m
State: North Carolina
THOR #9553
I like my 2018 Windsport 29 m a lot. Has what you listed and got it for a good price. If I had another 20 or 30 k I would liked to got a Discovery or a bigger Fleetwood. Wanted a Flair but could not stand up in the shower???? What's up with that...
Old 05-28-2019, 10:12 PM   #3

THOR #13058
I would love to get the 29M. It is a more luxurious version of the 29.3 in my view.

The problem is that it is 30" 8" long. When you add 7" for the ladder, it becomes 31' 3 " total end to end on the right side of the coach.

Why is that critical? I am glad you asked LOL...

Last year I built an extension to my driveway and fence at about $10k with 20/30/& 50 amp shore power. I can back an RV in it but it must be shorter than 30' 9". That is when it can be sandwiched between an eave coming off the roof of house and not be in the alley way at the rear of the house.

If that ladder was on driver side, I would gain about 7" and make it work. Or if ladder was 3 feet off the passenger side (but it is not). I am in catch 22 as I think Thor stop making the 29.3 in favor of the 29M? I tried hard to like that 27B Windsport / Hurricane but that fold up bed just kills me. I know that I wish to sleep a lot with the slide in. Speaking of the slide, can you tell me how far out your extends from the wall on the outside? The pad is 12' and then the fence. I assume 2 1/2'. Since RV is 8'6" wide that means total to be around 11'. So I only have 1 foot to play with on that pad as I will wish to have the slide out at times when it is parked.

All in all, I am still stuck in the rut of not finding what I want in the 28 / 29 foot range.

Thanks
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 05-28-2019, 10:16 PM   #4

THOR #9553
I get it now! Maybe keep looking at all the brands that have your "Gotta List"
Old 05-28-2019, 10:18 PM   #5

THOR #9553
You will find it, 30' and under are plentiful and many have a better reputation than Thor. Not bashing what I own but like anything, you can always pay more and get better quality, right?
Old 05-28-2019, 10:21 PM   #6

THOR #9553
Can you pull in instead of back in?? I know that must be an idiotic question. :-)
Old 05-28-2019, 10:22 PM   #7

THOR #9553
We looked at the Pursuit but the driver's seat was cramped, and the bedroom was tight. Loved everything else thou!!!!
Old 05-28-2019, 10:29 PM   #8

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Arkansas
THOR #11266
MHSRV south of Dallas was selling 2019 Hurricane 29Ms for $89,995. My local Camping World met that price, gave more for my trade, and threw in about $1000 (retail) of goodies.

I looked for 6 months. Liked the 29M floorplan best. But looked hard at several other similar models and kept coming back to Hurricane 29M for best for the $$$. Finally started talking money and took 2 weeks to get the dealer to my price.

Absolutely love the rig
2015 Ford Explorer XLT Toad
Fish and Dear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 10:48 PM   #9

THOR #9553
They are 1st cousins and we love ours too Fish and dear
Old 05-28-2019, 11:24 PM   #10

THOR #13058
Yes I can pull forward, but then the ladder would be extended into alleyway. I get where you going though. Let's say I owned one today or you be nice and let me have yours :-)

I would have to check to see what it would cost to have the ladder removed? I want the ladder because I also wish to buy a cover and need to put cover on / off. I want my RV at my house 24/7. I wish to eyeball it every day ....

Incidentally, I do plan to park it forward on special occasions. But when parked forward, I will temporarily park it on far side of the driveway. I then can open my fence so if sitting under the awning you would be facing the pool. The RV would then be blocking the driveway where the cars go in and out, but it would be nice change of pace at making home a vacation home at home.
Old 05-28-2019, 11:31 PM   #11

THOR #13058
The Pursuit Precision is what prompted this thread. I saw one online today. At 30' 3" it is 5" shorter than 29M Windsport/Hurricane. I don't know Coachmen fits in with or over Thor with regard to quality. This is where I hope someone could shed light on Pursuit 29SS.
Old 05-28-2019, 11:42 PM   #12

THOR #13058
I was at Camping World in Little Rock this past weekend. Looked at Winnebago Vistas one with fold up bed I hated, and their 29 Vista but despite being told they have better quality than Thor, It does not stand out to me for $15k more. Maybe the partial paint.

MHSRV is very nice. I tried hard to buy a really nice 2018 29.3 from them last year, but it had corroded battery compartment. MHSRV reached out to Thor to see what they would do to fix, but tHen never responded. Eventually the RV was gone and MHSRV never told if they sold it or sent it back to Thor. I assume they sold to someone that either did not know about the problem or did not care.
Old 05-29-2019, 11:51 PM   #13

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Coachman Pursuit Precision 29SS vs Thor 29.3 /29M

Do check out the Winnebago Vista 29VE. I had one and it was very comfortable and reliable. The only “defect” from your list would be that it only has one air conditioner. There is a roof vent in the bedroom and a dealer certainly could install a second unit. Good luck in your search.
Old 05-30-2019, 01:37 AM   #14

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Do check out the Winnebago Vista 29VE. I had one and it was very comfortable and reliable. The only “defect” from your list would be that it only has one air conditioner. There is a roof vent in the bedroom and a dealer certainly could install a second unit. Good luck in your search.
I have tried hard to fall in love with the Vista's. I talked with a Winnebago Rep at an RV show in Dallas last year about their units only having one AC. He was kind of abrupt by saying to NOT to try to install it. He went further by saying that none of their dealers were allowed to install? He also cited that they were not ducted like the Thor 29.3 units. I know it could be added anyway but for the price they comand I simply don't follow why not havre two ACs for anything 29 feet or above?

The Vista 29VE is same length as Coachman Pursuit Precision. The Coachman has 2 ACs and 5500kw. What do you know of Pursuit's quality relative to ACE 29.3 and others similar?

BTW, I saw a Vista LX 27N that was absolutely gorgeous. I almost pulled the trigger but could NOT get pass the fact that the only way to see that very nice big screen TV was with the slide out? I mean who design these things? You driving down the road and got kids in the coach that can't watch TV.

If the 2019 Hurricane / Windsport was 29' 9" or shorter versus that very long 30' 8" it would make me forget about the ACE 29.3 & the Coachman Pursuit Precision 29SS.
Old 05-30-2019, 03:20 AM   #15

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
.....cut.....

All in all, I am still stuck in the rut of not finding what I want in the 28 / 29 foot range.

Thanks
While much larger at 29-feet-long than what we need or want, I happen to see the brand new Coachmen Pursuit 27XPS on their website, and was a little surprised a major manufacturer is coming out with a new no-slide floorplan. That is great news as far as I’m concerned. The floorplan is very similar to Thor 28A Class C that Cruise America rents.

I know that since you’re interested in a full wall slide that you won’t like a no-slide floorplan, but thanks for pointing out the Pursuit line. Maybe Thor will do something similar.

Getting rid of slide really cuts weight and cost. The brand new 2020 Pursuit 27XPS is listed MSRP about $10K below an Axis/Vegas, and discounted to around $75,000. Empty weight is listed at ~ 12,800 pounds, leaving plenty for cargo.

Maybe the 25% decline in motorhome sales is forcing manufacturers to offer some lower-cost options.
Old 05-30-2019, 01:42 PM   #16

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Because I had one I sometimes watch what CW lists the Winnebago 29VE for on their website. Usually it’s $10-15,000 more than similar Thor models but sometimes not. Last week they had all of them about $15,000 less than usual. A week later they were high again. Go figure. It shows how much margin there is on these things. When I bought mine in 2017 the model was pretty new though and I could not get them to discount more than 22% despite pushing hard and even leaving. I came back a whole week later and they still wouldn’t budge. They offered me $1,000 of in-store credit and full boat extended service for 7 years for under $2,000 but nothing more off the price. The model is more plentiful now and there are more competitors with the same floor plan. I find it hard to believe Winnebago forbids their dealers from adding a second air conditioner. If i wanted one I’d make its addition part of the purchase deal. FWIW I never missed it and I only have one on my current 33ft coach as well. I am planning to carry a portable air conditioner when/if we ever travel south in the dead of summer though.
Old 05-30-2019, 05:10 PM   #17

Model: 2015 ACE 29.3
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4359
I have a 2015 29.3 and love it.... we have looked at upgrading to a newer 29.3 but have not been inpressed and feel the quality is not as good...
however the two problems i have run into is that the one side of the bed is hard to get to when the slide is in......(will suck if your stop at truckstops or overnight without opening the slide)
The other is there is no access to the lower drawers due to the bed covers them with the slide in .
When my wife and i walked alot of the other manufactures we also noticed that the ceiling heights were lower ....
Hope this helps
Old 05-30-2019, 08:27 PM   #18

THOR #13058
Cool

Quote:
Because I had one I sometimes watch what CW lists the Winnebago 29VE for on their website. Usually it’s $10-15,000 more than similar Thor models but sometimes not. Last week they had all of them about $15,000 less than usual. A week later they were high again. Go figure. It shows how much margin there is on these things. When I bought mine in 2017 the model was pretty new though and I could not get them to discount more than 22% despite pushing hard and even leaving. I came back a whole week later and they still wouldn’t budge. They offered me $1,000 of in-store credit and full boat extended service for 7 years for under $2,000 but nothing more off the price. The model is more plentiful now and there are more competitors with the same floor plan. I find it hard to believe Winnebago forbids their dealers from adding a second air conditioner. If i wanted one I’d make its addition part of the purchase deal. FWIW I never missed it and I only have one on my current 33ft coach as well. I am planning to carry a portable air conditioner when/if we ever travel south in the dead of summer though.
It was one Winnebago Rep and he may have been citing official policy? But he was very adamant about no. Not even willing to have on separate breaker wired from outside. But as you state the price was always high so even if they were going to do, I would not want to pay more for it.

I live in Dallas and it can get very hot. I like air alot :-)

I also like having a backup if one does go out. With the Thor's or ducted units you can divert all of the air to front to get an immediate cool with the ducting.

With that all said, don't laugh at me if you later learn that the unit I buy only has one AC. At the end of the day everyone has a price :-)
Old 05-31-2019, 11:17 AM   #19

THOR #2121
Quote:

.....cut..... I find it hard to believe Winnebago forbids their dealers from adding a second air conditioner. If i wanted one I’d make its addition part of the purchase deal. FWIW I never missed it and I only have one on my current 33ft coach as well. I am planning to carry a portable air conditioner when/if we ever travel south in the dead of summer though.
Makes sense if Winnebago is trying to keep most buyers happy long term. Motorhomes with 2 A/Cs are almost always designed with 50-Amp service and larger 5,500-Watt generator from factory. The few current exceptions involve smaller high-efficiency A/Cs with power management controller that can automatically shut A/Cs off temporarily in order to limit electrical power to a 30-Amp service or 4,000 Watt generator.

If dealers add a second A/C, will all buyers really understand power limitations? Even if most did, it would only take a few loud dissatisfied buyers who were mislead by dealers to damage Winnebago’s reputation.

Once a person owns a motorhome they can do whatever they want, but I can see where Winnebago may prefer that dealers tell buyers than on new purchases they need the factory 2-A/C option that is designed specifically for that application.