Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-07-2017, 04:08 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: New Jersey
THOR #4184
Cold weather and Axis 24.1 tanks

Just took the Axis from storage and am ready to flush and sanitize in preparation for our spring break trip. We are scheduled to leave this Saturday Morning. Friday weather forecast for New Jersey has changed to an overnight low of 16 ! What is it with this rollercoaster winter?? But I digress… Here are my questions :

1. Assuming water tank , pipes, cleaned, filled and ready to go , would turning on coach heat keep pipes safe overnight?

2. I don’t have access to 30 amp. Is there any battery use associated with using propane heat?

3. The coach came with tank heating pads. Would I need to use them too, and would I have a battery issue?

This is our first cold weather trip. We will be facing colder weather until we hit the Greenville SC area on Monday. The weather calls for possible snow and ice at our stop over in Monticello on Sunday.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Old 03-07-2017, 04:29 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by sepesce
1. Assuming water tank , pipes, cleaned, filled and ready to go , would turning on coach heat keep pipes safe overnight?
Yes
Quote:
2. I don’t have access to 30 amp. Is there any battery use associated with using propane heat?
Unfortunately, yes the blower motor will consume battery. It is likely that the battery would last overnight using heat, however at 16 degrees out it will run a lot. (I've camped in 32 degree weather and our heater ran quite a bit.)
Quote:
3. The coach came with tank heating pads. Would I need to use them too, and would I have a battery issue?
Is there anything in the tanks? Presumably they still have all the stuff from winterizing them in them no? (When flushing/sanitizing I'd use the outside shower the most to minimize filling the tanks too much.) If they still have antifreeze in them I wouldn't worry, even if they don't I think I wouldn't be too concerned: The danger with freezing is that ice expands as it freezes. In a closed system (like the fresh water system) this can break pipes. The waste tanks aren't really a closed system, all the drains aren't pressurized and the tanks themselves have a decent vent out the top. I'd only worry about areas that may have closed in water (perhaps a pocket in a gate valve--but you'd have that issue simply winterizing as well).

Another alternative: Wait until your first stop to flush/sanitize. That way you'll have power overnight. You can bring along bottled water to drink, wash your hands, flush the toilet, etc. In addition, since you're staying in it you'll notice pretty quickly if there is an issue.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 04:57 PM   #3
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Another alternative: Wait until your first stop to flush/sanitize. That way you'll have power overnight. You can bring along bottled water to drink, wash your hands, flush the toilet, etc. In addition, since you're staying in it you'll notice pretty quickly if there is an issue.
This is my preferred solution when departing the north in winter... I de-winterize once below the frost line. It is the safest way - and really isn't difficult to do on the road.

At 16 degrees - in addition to furnace blower using battery - you will consume a bit of propane... These units are not insulated like a house.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 06:38 PM   #4

THOR #4184
Thank you both for your quick reply. Since this is our first time De-winterizing. It certainly would have been nice to do it in our driveway. Especially since Thursday is supposed to be in the 60s.

We will not be staying anywhere more than two nights as we are taking my daughter to visit colleges in NC&SC. So you don't see a problem with the de-winterizing at the campsite?
Old 03-07-2017, 06:43 PM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by sepesce
So you don't see a problem with the de-winterizing at the campsite?
Nope not at all. De-winterizing is basically just running water through the system. After your first stay at a campground just empty the tanks like you normally would. If you get a full hookup site you can flush the system as much as you want! (Provided the campground has its water on...)
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 07:39 PM   #6

State: California
THOR #3552
Quote:
Do you have access to 15amp? If so, buy the plug adapter and plug in. Don't run your AC or everything at once and you should be fine. I had mine plugged in to 15 amp service for months.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:18 PM   #7

THOR #4184
Duh! I was getting confused with running water through the system versus the need to sanitize , then drain the fresh water tank.

Yes we do have a 15 amp plug adapter

Thank you!