Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2019, 01:03 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tellaro 20L
State: Arizona
THOR #15205
Newbie to this forum, looking at Quantum KW29

Hi all,

Thank you in advance for any advice. We like the king bed and recliners in the KW29. Any opinions on dealers, we are in AZ but can travel to pick up.

What auto leveling system does it use? Does this work well?

Easy to drive? Reliable?

Any info is welcomed. Thanks!

Old 05-04-2019, 01:31 PM   #2

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Good mornig and Welcome.

The "auto leveling" is to level out the RV at your campsite (or parking lot/drive way) with one touch of the button (Hydraulic level feet deploy under the RV at each corner). Some say the "auto" function dont work well if your realy out of level. Others say it works fine. But either way you can always do a manual level to make it work to your liking. Awesome feature.

I have an Axis but its based on the Ford E450 drivetain and chassis (Same as the Quantum). They are very reliable and work well and are easy to drive.

Many of use have upgraded the chassis with Sway bars, steer stablilizers etc to make it handle even better. The best thing to do is purchase what you want and drive it for a while to see what YOU think YOU need. And read this forum for helpful hints and upgrade ideas.

Always offer about $10k - 15K less than what the dealer is offering you - most dealers will sell new RV 30% to 40% off of sticker price so dont be afraid to ask for more as well as extra stuff like hoses, power wire, surge and other gear etc.

Good luck and dont be afraid to asks us questions. Lots of helpful folks on this forum.

Good luck.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 01:54 PM   #3

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Good advice. Many, maybe even most class C RVs don’t come with a leveling system. I didn’t look this one up to see. It’s a nice feature to have. If you don’t have such a system the unit is made level by driving it on to a suitable stack of LEGO-like blocks. It works fine but can be messy and tedious. I’d suggest shopping around a bit if you haven’t already. There are many nuances of size, floor plans and features and many (MANY) of us here have found the our first RV choice wasn’t the ideal model we thought it would be and have ended up trading for another in short order. It can be an expensive learning curve! But my very best advice is to don’t let it overwhelm you. Look on it as an adventure and enjoy the journey. All the best, new friend.
Old 05-04-2019, 02:38 PM   #4

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Yeah its defiantly overwhelming. Best thing to do is look any many diff RV's (that you can afford) and check out diff floor plans that work best for you.

Then do some research online, look at you tubes of the same RV, look at forums etc. Go back to the dealer a few days (or a week) later and compare again. I changed my mine from a small class C to a mid size C then to my Small A class RV (Axis). So im glad I took my time... Two years later Im still very happy with my purchase.

This was my first RV so I was not sure 100% how I would like it .....therefore I was going to purchase something on the lower end. Luckliy we love RVing and use in for many day trips as well (nice having bathroom and your own food etc when out all day). But for a little more $ I eliminated purchasing something that I would be trading in now for what I have already. So it worked out great for us.

It all comes down two three words: Research, research, research.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 05:59 PM   #5

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Welcome to the forum!

Research will save you headaches and $$$. Next, rent a rig similar in floorplan to what you think you want. It seems expensive, but it's still cheaper than finding out you bought the wrong one.

We were shopping for a Transit based Class B+ until we decided the Vegas gave us more for less $$$. It's great for the way we travel now, and the foreseeable future.

Consider a gently used RV, too. You'll have less invested, and (hopefully) most of the new coach problems will be worked out. Also, you will have a broader choice of service providers when you are beyond warranty.

Happy hunting!