Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2022, 11:38 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 31s
State: Florida
THOR #19594
Conversion for 30 amp service

I am traveling to Maine and plan to spend a few weeks at parked at my sister's and we are having a discussion on what kind of power service would be available. She took some pictures of all of the receptacles nearby and one of them is for a whole house generator that was replaced a few years ago. Its a 30 amp male 4 pin inlet.

She believes that it is still live. I am not there to see how it is connected but I am assuming that it should go to a transfer switch, somewhere in the immediate vicinity of her breaker box.

So my question is this, is it possible/practical/safe to convert the generator inlet to an outlet for the RV? It seems to me that assuming she has enough load capacity that we could have a breaker installed, use the existing run and swap out the inlet for an outlet. I wouldn't take this on myself but hire a licensed electrician.

I am also looking into installing a post for this year and future use, but this is pretty close to where I am parking so I was wondering if it would work.

Old 06-07-2022, 12:11 AM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpandt View Post
I am traveling to Maine and plan to spend a few weeks at parked at my sister's and we are having a discussion on what kind of power service would be available. She took some pictures of all of the receptacles nearby and one of them is for a whole house generator that was replaced a few years ago. Its a 30 amp male 4 pin inlet.

She believes that it is still live. I am not there to see how it is connected but I am assuming that it should go to a transfer switch, somewhere in the immediate vicinity of her breaker box.

So my question is this, is it possible/practical/safe to convert the generator inlet to an outlet for the RV? It seems to me that assuming she has enough load capacity that we could have a breaker installed, use the existing run and swap out the inlet for an outlet. I wouldn't take this on myself but hire a licensed electrician.

I am also looking into installing a post for this year and future use, but this is pretty close to where I am parking so I was wondering if it would work.
Assuming all the stars align, yes it can be done, BUT: realize that 30 amp 4 pole connector is wired for 240 volts just like the RV 50 amp connector is wired. Assuming the wire is properly sized you could put a 50 Amp receptacle on it to two 30 amp ganged breakers in the breaker box. That would give you twice the available power that a 30 amp RV receptacle would.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 12:18 AM   #3

Model: Windsport 31s
THOR #19594
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Assuming all the stars align, yes it can be done, BUT: realize that 30 amp 4 pole connector is wired for 240 volts just like the RV 50 amp connector is wired. Assuming the wire is properly sized you could put a 50 Amp receptacle on it to two 30 amp ganged breakers in the breaker box. That would give you twice the available power that a 30 amp RV receptacle would.

Excellent point. I hadn't thought of that, but I also am not sure what kind of load capacity she has.
Old 06-07-2022, 01:00 AM   #4

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Most home electric service is 200 amp now, unless you have a fairly older home which hasn't been upgraded... been there, done that with two houses, so pays to check!

If indeed she does have 200 amp service, you should have plenty of margin for 30 amp... unless she's running a large welding shop out of her garage.

EDIT: Proper REWIRING by a QUALIFIED electrician who specifically understands the application is a MUST... 120 volts (NOT 240) capable of supplying 30 amps for an RV receptacle.
Old 06-07-2022, 01:35 AM   #5

Model: Fourwinds 24F
State: North Carolina
THOR #9511
You need to know load capacity and the type of transfer switch - built into the load center or external, automatic or manual, interlock to prevent backfeed…too many variables. Plus, the generator input should not be live when the transfer switch is set for service from the pole.

I suspect with a 4 pin inlet there is a ganged 30amp breaker at the transfer switch for 60amp service from the generator - if it was actually a whole house generator. Pictures, you need pictures of the input, transfer switch and generator service breakers.

If that input is no longer used then the safest thing to do is take the existing wires and wire in new 30 or 50amp service from the load center to the appropriate 30 or 50amp RV receptacle.
Old 06-07-2022, 01:53 AM   #6

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
I agree with Jimbo12 that a properly wired whole house generator receptacle cannot supply power to your coach. An electrician can rewire the ATC or manual switch to provide power. It is definitely a job for an electrician but not too time consuming.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 02:46 AM   #7
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo12 View Post
You need to know load capacity and the type of transfer switch - built into the load center or external, automatic or manual, interlock to prevent backfeed…too many variables. Plus, the generator input should not be live when the transfer switch is set for service from the pole.

I suspect with a 4 pin inlet there is a ganged 30amp breaker at the transfer switch for 60amp service from the generator - if it was actually a whole house generator. Pictures, you need pictures of the input, transfer switch and generator service breakers.

If that input is no longer used then the safest thing to do is take the existing wires and wire in new 30 or 50amp service from the load center to the appropriate 30 or 50amp RV receptacle.
The service is named at the highest available voltage so it would be 30 amp service at 240 VAC (not 60 amp service).
Old 06-07-2022, 02:52 AM   #8

Model: Fourwinds 24F
THOR #9511
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
The service is named at the highest available voltage so it would be 30 amp service at 240 VAC (not 60 amp service).

Yup - I need to proof read my replies better.
Old 06-07-2022, 07:29 PM   #9

Model: A.C.E. 30.1
THOR #21412
likely that if this is indeed a generator INPUT then the breaker at the main or sub panel probably has an interlock so the male plug is 'cold' unless being used to supply power.
Old 06-07-2022, 07:41 PM   #10
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by mytimeyet View Post
likely that if this is indeed a generator INPUT then the breaker at the main or sub panel probably has an interlock so the male plug is 'cold' unless being used to supply power.
That's one reason why it has to be re-wired on both ends.
Old 06-07-2022, 10:07 PM   #11

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
This is not a question that can be answered by anyone on this forum. You need to have a qualified electrician look at the situation. Everyone here is just pondering a possibility.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 09:29 PM   #12

Model: Windsport 32R
State: South Carolina
THOR #17209
30 amp conversion at your sister's house

Be extremely careful about your 4 wire generator system. It is designed for 240 VAC for a home system. Your RV is set up with 3 wires because it's a 120 VAC system! An electrician can disconnect one of the hot wires and bypass the transfer switch and install a 30 amp plug for your rig. Do NOT try to plug your 120 volt system into a 240 volt system unless you have LOTS of money that you are willing to part with to repair everything that becomes toast.
Old 06-11-2022, 09:50 PM   #13

Model: Windsport 29m
THOR #9553
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpandt View Post

Not sure why you need 30 amps in your coach for a visit at a home??? Having all that expense and using a contractor to provide power seems like a lot. If it were me, I'd use a 15 or 20 amp circuit to plug into and use an adaptor to my 30 amp power cable and manage my amp usage. Even the AC should work fine if you don't run the water heater, coffee pot, hairdryer and other high amperage devices---But that's just me!!! Hope it works out for you; Bob Trice
Old 06-11-2022, 10:17 PM   #14

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead View Post
Not sure why you need 30 amps in your coach for a visit at a home??? Having all that expense and using a contractor to provide power seems like a lot. If it were me, I'd use a 15 or 20 amp circuit to plug into and use an adaptor to my 30 amp power cable and manage my amp usage. Even the AC should work fine if you don't run the water heater, coffee pot, hairdryer and other high amperage devices---But that's just me!!! Hope it works out for you; Bob Trice

OP says...

In addition on this trip he expects to spend a few weeks. He is not home but Sister's house. OP should buy at least a new 30 amp service for his Sister , heck he is parking for free; but if it is me, I don't understand why not pay the extra $100 to have 50 amp, 30 amp and 20 amp service available on same box. Having one of these at home has been one of my best investments. There have been times, when I had 2 RVs on on 30 amps and the other on 50 amps at the same time.

I would NOT fool with the the existing wired possible transfer switch?

But I agree with you a simple 20amp to 30 amp dog bone is all he needs, he just need to manually manage the loads and using heavy duty extension cords. Yes a 12 gauged cord is recommended, but I use a 14/3 running AC & Fridge with no issues. Normally I will switch the fridge to propane. If I need 2 ACs I turn on the generator.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Eaton Sub Panel.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	38046  
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 09:22 AM   #15

Model: Chateau 31W
State: Rhode Island
THOR #19146
I'm not trying to be fresh or snarky, but if your knowledge about electricity and wiring issues is limited enough that you have to ask questions of this nature on this forum then I recommend hiring an expert. In this area of expertise, a little knowledge is a dangerous -- and potentially deadly -- thing.
Old 06-14-2022, 11:33 AM   #16

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
THOR #17765
I second what was said by Thisoldman!

Tags
"30 amp service", "whole house generator"