Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-04-2020, 03:42 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Maine
THOR #18725
Countertop Replacement

We bought a 2016 Thor Chateau 31L last year and the countertop is broken/cracked under the kitchen sink faucet. Does anyone know where we can have the countertop replaced? It is all one peice so I believe the entire countertop would have to be replaced. Also, any idea what it might cost? We live in Southern Maine so anywhere in Maine, New Hampshire or Northern Massachusetts would be nice. Thank you. Click image for larger version

Name:	20200704_113633.jpeg
Views:	93
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	24640

Old 07-04-2020, 03:50 PM   #2

Brand: DRV
Model: Mobile Suites 36RSB3
State: Florida
THOR #17449
I believe you are correct in that the entire top will need to be replaced. I would check for a contractor in your area that does Corian kitchen counters.
Old 07-04-2020, 05:12 PM   #3

Model: Chateau 31L
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpd352 View Post
We bought a 2016 Thor Chateau 31L last year and the countertop is broken/cracked under the kitchen sink faucet. Does anyone know where we can have the countertop replaced? It is all one peice so I believe the entire countertop would have to be replaced. Also, any idea what it might cost? We live in Southern Maine so anywhere in Maine, New Hampshire or Northern Massachusetts would be nice. Thank you. Attachment 24640
If you're going to replace it, consider upgrading to a solid surface maybe thinner. I have a 2017 and the countertop is scratched bad. I'd like to replace or somehow refurbish but cutting corian makes an absolute dusty mess.
Old 07-04-2020, 05:45 PM   #4

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
can't tell...is that a solid surface counter?

My 31L has a HPL counter sitting on oh so cheaply made cabinets.
I'd think anybody that does kitchen and bath remodels could do it...except that tearing it out will likely end with some repair needed to the cabinet boxes too.

I do recall seeing that there was an upgrade available for solid surface, but I don't recall the type/brand....
anyway, I'm pretty sure solid surface can be repaired. I've never done it but don't they have some sort of matching filler or epoxy so the cracks could be filled and sanded down?....
But before I explored that I'd wonder why it cracked in the first place. Maybe some reinforcement needed prior to repair?

Alternate idea.... cover it. Prob could find some metal plate or angle that could be cut to fit nicely covering the whole area where the faucet is mounted, with the faucet re-installed through the cover. I'm picturing some aluminum or stainless steel angle cut slightly larger than the faucet, and with the short vertical leg just lipping over the counter edge but not down into the sink... It might reinforce the area as well....
Old 03-05-2022, 04:14 AM   #5

Model: Axis 24.1
State: California
THOR #14093
Take a look at Wilsonart solid surface material. I am in the process of replacing kitchen and vanity countertops with that. Just ordered a sheet from them. Every sheet is 30in wide by 12' long (30sf). It is easy to work with this stuff using regular table saw. The only thing is that you need to have a business in order to purchase it in CA. Friend of mine is a contractor so I was able to buy that through him. Here is the link.
https://www.wilsonartengineeredsurfaces.com/
Old 03-05-2022, 04:38 AM   #6

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Lowe's and Home Depot near me both have complete kitchen services... That's where I'd check. Probably a simple task of accurate measurements and ordering the material/type you want.
Old 03-05-2022, 12:03 PM   #7

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #21919
The problem with using a big box store for solid surface (Corian) or any other specialty countertop is that the tops come in 12 foot lengths. They will have to sell you a whole 12 foot piece even if you only need 4 feet. Corian is very expensive.

Weight is a factor so stay away from stone and others.

Check with a local private installer. A lot of times they have leftovers big enough for a smaller RV.