Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-27-2015, 10:45 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 35HT
State: Maryland
THOR #1875
Challenger 35HT Maiden Voyage

We picked up our 2015 Challenger 35HT Saturday and headed out to the local KOA to test everything out. We found a few minor things that we didn't catch during the PDI. The biggest issue was that the hot water heater is not working at all, on gas or electric. So, we compiled our list of items and emailed the dealer that we are going to drop it off the weekend of May 8th for them to address everything. I guess next weekend when we are at Harpers Ferry we will be using the camp ground showers since there's no hot water. All in all though, we have found less problems so far than we have with any other RV purchase, although next weekend's longer trip may bring more issues to light.

One thing I did think was strange though. The black water tank is connected in the same compartment where the city water connection is located. The grey water connection is in a separate compartment by itself. Seems like the black water connection should be the one in a compartment by itself.

2015 Thor Challenger 35HT
jrben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 11:33 AM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrben View Post
One thing I did think was strange though. The black water tank is connected in the same compartment where the city water connection is located. The grey water connection is in a separate compartment by itself. Seems like the black water connection should be the one in a compartment by itself.
Randy

First sorry to hear about the hot water. Have you checked to make sure both water heater bypasses are set correctly. On my ND there is one bypass on the termination center at the water connection. The second is the standard 3 valve system which is located at the water tank. I have top remove a bedroom wardrobe drawer to gain access to this bypass. You can verify this by opening the pressure relief valve on the hot water tank and see if water comes out. If it does, while in the compartment make sure a wire didn't pop loose.

It is interesting that they would not plumb the gray and black into the same drain as with most normal RVs. With one black and gray you now need to Y out the sewer hose, that can be a pain at times.

You may want to call Thor customer service and ask them to email you the waste layout for your model. This will tell you which fixtures are plumbed into which tanks.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 12:18 PM   #3

THOR #1875
Thanks Dave, I didn't think to look for a second bypass valve. I'll have to check that out. Hopefully that's all it is. I checked all the wiring while we were out and everything looks good. I didn't open the pressure relief valve though.
I went out yesterday when we got back and picked up a Y connector and another hose so I don't have to switch the hose next weekend.
Old 04-27-2015, 01:39 PM   #4
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrben View Post
Thanks Dave, I didn't think to look for a second bypass valve. I'll have to check that out. Hopefully that's all it is. I checked all the wiring while we were out and everything looks good. I didn't open the pressure relief valve though.
I went out yesterday when we got back and picked up a Y connector and another hose so I don't have to switch the hose next weekend.
I found out when I was de-winterizing. I had the relief valve open so I could verify when the hot water tank was full. I first opened the bypass at the termination center and when water didn't fill the water heater I went on a search and find mission. I first removed the bathroom drawers which turned out to be too far forward. Next came the bedroom wardrobe. Low and behold a three valve water heater bypass system that was set to winterization mode. After changing the valve positions the water was running out of the relief valve by the time I got back outside.

On my floor plan, the 37ND, there is no way someone could get to this by pass with the slide retracted. My winterization and de-winterization procedures now have the first step being "extend the bedroom slide".

Hopefully, your issue is this simple and nothing serious.
FMCA - F432054
Old 04-29-2015, 11:59 PM   #5

THOR #1875
I think I found the problem with the hot water heater. :-) I found a YouTube video with troubleshooting tips. One of them was to remove the in-line diode and plug the wire in directly to check if the diode is bad. When I did this it fired right up. So it looks like all I need to do is pick up a new one Friday morning before we hit the road. :-)
Old 04-30-2015, 12:21 AM   #6
Site Team

THOR #1469
Randy,

Call Thor. Maybe they will be willing to overnight one to your first stop. Or if you buy one, have them send one anyway for a spare if needed.

Sounds like the after dark walks to the bath house are no longer required.

Happy and safe travels.
FMCA - F432054