Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-10-2022, 06:40 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #25702
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzin101 View Post
As we get older it gets harder to get the cover to the top of the roof and fall hazards are greatly increased. You may want to consider having a rv carport built
Not sure if you have a municipal airport nearby. I pay 80.00$ a month for a decent size hanger. Depending on how strict the airport manager is, good place to park your RV

Old 07-11-2022, 01:28 PM   #22

Model: Chateau 31W
State: Rhode Island
THOR #19146
I’ve been using ADCO covers on a series of travel trailers and motorhomes for the better part of 20 years. They’re not indestructible but they stand up well when properly installed and secured. As others have said they are a pain in the backside to install even with the assistance of a helper, and because my wife is usually physically unable to assist me I do the job myself. The fact that I continue to do it year after year is a testament to the fact that, at least in my experience and for my situation, the effort is well worth the result.
Old 07-11-2022, 02:42 PM   #23

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Some takeaways from all the responses:

The decision for using a cover (or not) is dependent on many factors.

Conditions where I would NEVER use a cover:
1) A warm climate where winterizing isn't necessary, and the RV is used more or less year round. Why hassle with a cover when wax will protect the gelcoat - and can be applied anytime desired.
2) A geographic location where fairly strong wind is a constant. However, if combined with sustained freezing temperatures where waxing cannot be done for months at a time - I would consider alternative methods of covering/protecting the gelcoat... indoor/covered storage or a longer lasting professional ceramic coating.

Conditions where it makes sense (for me at least) to use a cover:
1) A climate (excluding windy) where you winterize your RV (non-use/storage) for more than 3 months at a stretch... where temperatures/weather are not conducive to washing/waxing. Read: Most of the midwest/northeast U.S.

2) A situation (for whatever reason) where your RV is stored for an extensive length of time, and no other option is available. This includes not having access (or ability) to keep the gelcoat waxed and protected. This of course would (in my opinion) exclude the high wind geographic areas... but it's a choice between chafing paint or destroyed decals/severely oxidized gelcoat.

Bottom line... First option should ALWAYS be to use a wax or professional ceramic coating when possible - but use a cover when that isn't a realistic option.
Old 07-11-2022, 02:59 PM   #24

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Some takeaways from all the responses:

The decision for using a cover (or not) is dependent on many factors.

Conditions where I would NEVER use a cover:
1) A warm climate where winterizing isn't necessary, and the RV is used more or less year round. Why hassle with a cover when wax will protect the gelcoat - and can be applied anytime desired.
2) A geographic location where fairly strong wind is a constant. However, if combined with sustained freezing temperatures where waxing cannot be done for months at a time - I would consider alternative methods of covering/protecting the gelcoat... indoor/covered storage or a longer lasting professional ceramic coating.

Conditions where it makes sense (for me at least) to use a cover:
1) A climate (excluding windy) where you winterize your RV (non-use/storage) for more than 3 months at a stretch... where temperatures/weather are not conducive to washing/waxing. Read: Most of the midwest/northeast U.S.

2) A situation (for whatever reason) where your RV is stored for an extensive length of time, and no other option is available. This includes not having access (or ability) to keep the gelcoat waxed and protected. This of course would (in my opinion) exclude the high wind geographic areas... but it's a choice between chafing paint or destroyed decals/severely oxidized gelcoat.

Bottom line... First option should ALWAYS be to use a wax or professional ceramic coating when possible - but use a cover when that isn't a realistic option.
Good information and good learning dr. Chateau_Nomad