Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-04-2022, 11:19 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 35MQ
State: Florida
THOR #21743
Covers

Covered storage has become expensive and hard to find. What are your thoughts on covers for a motorhome? What are the best ones to consider? Has any one come across one that has an opening for the solar panel? Any concerns about lack of airflow. I am in FL, so it gets hot.

Old 07-05-2022, 12:32 AM   #2

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
This is the cover we use. After 2 Ohio winters it's holding up well. I'm guessing it should last 3 more seasons before needing replaced.

iiSPORT Class C RV Cover Fits 23'... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07M9KH5Q7...p_mob_ap_share

I carefully measured and cut the top to fit over one of our two solar panels... which keeps the batteries topped off all winter with no issues. I glued Velcro strips under the panel to hold the cover in place... but I found it really doesn't move anyway. No "wind flapping" issues, it cinches pretty tight... and has zippered panels to allow access.

I wash and wax the motorhome before putting on the cover... it stays on from November through first of April. The cover keeps it perfectly clean and shiny... free from oxidation all winter.

If you use your MH frequently year round, it might be a hassle... it's a minor project installing the cover... two people and about a half hour to put on... same to remove, fold and store. So... your Florida experience may vary.
Old 07-05-2022, 03:51 AM   #3

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
There's 1 for the "pro" column!
Now the "con".
Are you physically able to haul the heavy cover to the roof?
Do you have good enough balance to hopscotch all the roof protrusions while installing/removing the cover?
Is it windy in your area? If so the flapping can/may cause more damages than being uncovered due to the chaffing where it flaps against the rv.
Also 2 maybe 3 seasons is all it'll last & less especially if windy.
Your $$$ your choice!
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 04:52 AM   #4

THOR #16721
I've heard it's VERY windy in Texas.
Old 07-05-2022, 01:05 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 34R
State: Indiana
THOR #19887
This is the second rig that I have ADCO cover and for us works great.
It is a bit more expensive than other covers but it last longer because if very well made and reinforced.
As was said, it will last ~4 years maybe more depending were you live.

We keep our MH by our house and if it will be more than 2 weeks w/o moving I put the cover on it.
That means put it on and take it off ~ 5 times a year.
IF you learn how to fold/roll it when you take it off it is really easy to put on (on a day w/o wind) but you do need to go up the ladder pulling it up with you or have someone bringing the tip of it to you when you are on the roof.
We take no more than 15min to put it on and ~30min to take it off (counting packing/rolling it properly).

If you can go up a ladder and don't have problems with altitude , it is completelly doable and, for us , worth the $.
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 01:41 PM   #6
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Wax can protect the rig from the weather. Wax can not protect the paint from the scratching caused by a cover.
Old 07-05-2022, 02:04 PM   #7

Model: Hurricane 34R
State: Indiana
THOR #19887
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Wax can protect the rig from the weather. Wax can not protect the paint from the scratching caused by a cover.
That is true but if your rig is not painted, gelcoat is way harder than the paint clearcoat.
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 02:09 PM   #8

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
I used a cover once. From November to March. Never again. Even though I thought I had it on tightly, it still bellows with wind. It rubbed against every corner and protrusion on the coach. It ended up with a dozen holes in it from the ends of the slide covers. The antenna ( I removed the mast. Good luck keeping a tennis ball on it). It damaged the wifi extender as the antennas weren’t removable. And many other spots, ladder included.

I live in the piedmont of NC. Hot summers. I got 14 years out of the membrane roof on my fifth wheel. So I’m keeping the roof clean. And waxing it 3 times a year. 3 years so far. To me a cover is a waste of time and money. IMHO
Old 07-05-2022, 02:41 PM   #9

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
THOR #13932
Post 2 is why I will never use one again.
My 19ft toy hauler had a custom cover.
I think the sunbrella cover for it weighed 150lbs.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 02:43 PM   #10
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by RACarvalho View Post
That is true but if your rig is not painted, gelcoat is way harder than the paint clearcoat.
Been there, done that on a Class C.The decals are not gel coat and gel coat scratches as well as paint.
Old 07-05-2022, 03:53 PM   #11

THOR #16721
Fortunately we live in an area surrounded by hills and trees - natural wind breaks. We don't get the constant high winds which seem common in other areas. So, your "wind experience" may differ from ours. We haven't had any issues with flapping cover abrading the cab paint or gelcoat.

Our "non-use" winter season is 5+ months of potential freezing... however we still get that gelcoat oxidizing sun. Wax lasts about 3 months... and I'm certainly not going to wash/wax our RV when it's well below freezing in the middle of February!! The cover is excellent at blocking UV rays which destroy the sacrificial wax coating... so no winter waxing needed. The cover buys me several months time before a re-coat of wax is needed. So a cover makes sense for us considering our weather and usage... but I realize it may not for others.
Old 07-05-2022, 04:23 PM   #12

THOR #16721
I'm 67, and the wife is close behind. Our cover weighs maybe 35# ??? The key is having it rolled properly when stored.

I walk up the ladder with the front end in hand. Once on the roof, I drag the rest up... then pull it forward to the cab-over. You don't need to lug the ENTIRE cover up the ladder! There I toss the front part over, where the wife grabs the straps and we center it side to side. She secures it under the front bumper. Then I gradually work backwards, unrolling, centering as the wife finds the side straps. I fit the cover over the "solar panel hole" and keep working backward. When I get to the ladder, I walk down the ladder, pulling the back section down.

All that's left is securing the "belly straps" under the motorhome which keeps the cover cinched tight.

I guess if you're not in decent physical shape, or poor health this could be a challenge. Fear of heights could also affect some. But honestly, for me - it's an easier task than a total wax job on the entire motorhome!! Know your limits, work safe AND smart!
Old 07-05-2022, 04:55 PM   #13

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
THOR #13932
We didn't have a hole for the solar panels.
We didn't need 100% efficiency when the rv was covered.
I think they ran at about 30% with the very light gray cover installed.

I molded silicone end caps for anything sharp.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 10:20 AM   #14

Model: Challenger 35MQ
State: Florida
THOR #21743
Thumbs up Cover

Thanks all. Initial plan to wax more frequently and by-pass the cover for now. We'll see how it goes. I appreciate the insights and advice. Best of luck to all and stay safe. Enjoy post-4th summer!
Old 07-09-2022, 08:07 PM   #15
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
This is the cover we use. After 2 Ohio winters it's holding up well. I'm guessing it should last 3 more seasons before needing replaced.

iiSPORT Class C RV Cover Fits 23'... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07M9KH5Q7...p_mob_ap_share

I carefully measured and cut the top to fit over one of our two solar panels... which keeps the batteries topped off all winter with no issues. I glued Velcro strips under the panel to hold the cover in place... but I found it really doesn't move anyway. No "wind flapping" issues, it cinches pretty tight... and has zippered panels to allow access.

I wash and wax the motorhome before putting on the cover... it stays on from November through first of April. The cover keeps it perfectly clean and shiny... free from oxidation all winter.

If you use your MH frequently year round, it might be a hassle... it's a minor project installing the cover... two people and about a half hour to put on... same to remove, fold and store. So... your Florida experience may vary.
That install time is for healthy pair and without much if any wind. With wind, well you may be finding your self in a long stay at the hospital and a long term care facility. Or perhaps seeping St. Peter after flying twenty five feet into the air. I watched a couple trying to install one a 28ft trailer. It convinced me not to get one.
Old 07-09-2022, 10:12 PM   #16

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by robebur View Post
Thanks all. Initial plan to wax more frequently and by-pass the cover for now. We'll see how it goes. I appreciate the insights and advice. Best of luck to all and stay safe. Enjoy post-4th summer!
Good decision..in montana years of camping no cover
Old 07-09-2022, 10:53 PM   #17

Model: Hurricane 31D
State: Georgia
THOR #16633
Covers

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACarvalho View Post
This is the second rig that I have ADCO cover and for us works great.
It is a bit more expensive than other covers but it last longer because if very well made and reinforced.
As was said, it will last ~4 years maybe more depending were you live.

We keep our MH by our house and if it will be more than 2 weeks w/o moving I put the cover on it.
That means put it on and take it off ~ 5 times a year.
IF you learn how to fold/roll it when you take it off it is really easy to put on (on a day w/o wind) but you do need to go up the ladder pulling it up with you or have someone bringing the tip of it to you when you are on the roof.
We take no more than 15min to put it on and ~30min to take it off (counting packing/rolling it properly).

If you can go up a ladder and don't have problems with altitude , it is completelly doable and, for us , worth the $.
As we get older it gets harder to get the cover to the top of the roof and fall hazards are greatly increased. You may want to consider having a rv carport built
Old 07-10-2022, 01:45 AM   #18

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzin101 View Post
As we get older it gets harder to get the cover to the top of the roof and fall hazards are greatly increased. You may want to consider having a rv carport built
Amen lots of wind in NM..so roof work is limited
Old 07-10-2022, 01:50 AM   #19

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
What a true statement, I can show pictures of cover burns on my Motorcycle if anyone need proof? My RV Owners Manual actually advises of the damage that can occur by covers and/or the faulty installation or setup of one. The state it void the warranty for things like blisters.

I do have a cover for my Yamaha boat, but it is OEM cover made by Yamaha that cost $1,100 ; when it is strapped down; it is tight all the way around the gunwale. Takes me 10 minutes to put it on; 5 minutes to take off. One man job.

But I do understand why some do have covers, as there is some value. But for me, the benefits are minimum; besides I use my RV year around and if I had a cover it would entice me to not want to use it as often I would like because of the hassle to put it on & off.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 03:01 AM   #20

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
Quote:
Originally Posted by robebur View Post
Look at all the boats in Florida that are not covered. Just keep a close eye and keep a good coat of wax. Shurehold ( Florida company) has great videos on using their products on boats. Works just a good on RV gelcoat.
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote